12Next >
23420 52 2014-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
max567
lvl.1

United States

Hey guys,
Just starting a thread because I currently own a P2 with h3-3d and was wondering if anyone has any insights about the hero 4 series cameras working on the gimbal. I'm pretty sure the hero 4 black will work, but the real question is about the new hero, and the hero 4 silver.
Please share any insight,
max
2014-9-30
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3176083 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do not think the Silver will work. But the Black will.
2014-10-1
Use props
max567
lvl.1

United States

DWA Posted at 2014-10-2 00:28
I do not think the Silver will work. But the Black will.

Yup, thats what I think also. I just watched a MicBersma youtube video that has confirmation that the black does work. Haven't seen anything about "hero" model or silver
2014-10-1
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I just found out that the Silver and the Black work with the H3-3D and the H3-2D. Good news!!!

2014-10-2
Use props
max567
lvl.1

United States

DWA Posted at 2014-10-2 16:15
I just found out that the Silver and the Black work with the H3-3D and the H3-2D. Good news!!!
htt ...

are you sure it shows silver? Thats the same video I saw, don't think it shows silver working...
2014-10-2
Use props
lboria
lvl.2
Flight distance : 372631 ft
  • >>>
United States

It doesn't work the gimbal works but no video feed or recharging of battery for H32D.
2014-10-9
Use props
dnash
lvl.2

United States

I have seen micbergsma's Hero 4 video and from that it looks like there is no problem using the new camera, but then I read about things like no video, Hero 4 weight distribution differences causing issues with the H3-3D, people grinding off metal, gluing pennies, offering animal sacrifices, etc. It would be nice if DJI or GoPro would just answer this question and explain any issues. How could either company not know by now?
2014-10-10
Use props
filmmaker
lvl.1
United States

dnash@mac.com Posted at 2014-10-10 20:47
I have seen micbergsma's Hero 4 video and from that it looks like there is no problem using the new  ...

I have the gopro 4 and there is no video from the H23D from the back of the camera.  Just saw today that there is a version of H23D that has a plug for HDMI port.  anyone know if the video works with that version?  Can i upgrade my gimbal to that version?  DJI is being pretty silent on this issue.  You would think they might have gotten a beta of the camera to insure the compatibility of their product
2014-10-10
Use props
peteroudenes
lvl.2

Netherlands

The guys who build this QuickRelease Plate are gonna test if the GoPro Hero4 Black will work as well. FPV and Tilt camera on DJI vision app

http://dronexpert.nl/product/pre ... i-phantom-2-vision/
2014-10-12
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

China

Sorry, we have not test it and we are still not quite sure, we will test later.
2014-10-12
Use props
guitarian
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Cathy Posted at 2014-10-13 12:24

Thanks DJI-Cathy
2014-10-13
Use props
Taliban_Beats
lvl.1

United States

Still have not tested its been out since the 5th ?
As a business that produces products for I.e Gopros u would think u guys would have been all over it...
Sales would have increased being that Everyone wants to know if it works with your existing products...
Some might wait but I'm sure so e would buy any how ... Would be great if dji as many phantoms they sell at the price they sell their products they would have tested and gave an honest opinon on this matter ...thx
2014-10-14
Use props
cameracutter
New

Canada

I'd love to run out and buy the new 4, but I'm concerned that I'll burn out the gimbal.   It would be great if DJI could help clear this up ASAP.   
2014-10-15
Use props
max567
lvl.1

United States

cameracutter@gm Posted at 2014-10-15 18:30
I'd love to run out and buy the new 4, but I'm concerned that I'll burn out the gimbal.   It would b ...

agreed! hopefully they can go on the forum and hep us out. I have seen videos of it working but it requires slight modification to the gimbal
2014-10-19
Use props
MaxisDrone
lvl.1

United States

I agree they should make a specific thread for us to assure us or warn us about certain gimbal version that may or may not work with gopro 4
That is the reason I purchased a P2 with gimbal because I thought it was versatile and not as limited as the Vision plus
So the wait continues for an answer from Dji and from Purchasing the new Hero 4 Black
2014-10-20
Use props
Jarret
New

United States

Why? How can people have them for weeks and the industry leader of drones hasn't addressed it? How could you not get a Hero 4 before the release date and be ahead of the problem? I bought a Hero 4 and now I have to find a new drone to fly it or take it back.
2014-10-21
Use props
knichefilms
lvl.1

United States

Hero 4 Black works for sure in all video modes with H3-3D and video downlink.  YES, ALL VIDEO MODES.  SLO MO LOOKS AMAZING IN 1080p120.  I will say I had to use a grinder to grind away a little bit of the side of the gimbal where the new "settings button" (old wifi button) is on the Hero 4 as it was being depressed as soon as I put the camera into the gimbal.  It would not work without modding the gimbal in this manner.  I may be able to acquire a Silver to test it out and will get back to inform everyone.  I also agree, why sell a gimbal that fits a specific type of camera and not have a connection to get them the day they come out or even a pre-release?  And to top it off, its been out for three weeks and there has been no testing done?  I need a new job at DJI.
2014-10-22
Use props
max567
lvl.1

United States

knichefilms Posted at 2014-10-23 00:36
Hero 4 Black works for sure in all video modes with H3-3D and video downlink.  YES, ALL VIDEO MODES. ...

thanks for that info! so just for clarity, there is no way for the hero 4 black to work without taking a grinder to the gimbal, correct?
2014-10-22
Use props
knichefilms
lvl.1

United States

max567 Posted at 2014-10-23 08:39
thanks for that info! so just for clarity, there is no way for the hero 4 black to work without ta ...

I don't currently see any way around it.  I had a shoot, just bought the camera and had no idea until I was getting my heli out and put the camera in.  Luckily I was at a place that had SOME tools and among them I found a sander/grinder.  I put the sander in a vice and took as little off as I could with a tool way too big for the job.  My recommendation is to use a Dremel or something similar to fine tune it.  I'm sure the fine folks at DJI aren't far behind on all this stuff and will release a new version or new model.  In their defense, GoPro releases a new camera every October so I can see how difficult it would be to anticipate something as little as a button change being the difference between using a Hero4 or not.  I posted a couple pics of how I modded it here and here.  The footage on all settings is AMAZING.
2014-10-22
Use props
lucking
lvl.1

Denmark

Great you took the time to tell and show us about the modification needed!
What about the balance of the gimbal - I have seen pictures where people are placing coins on the side of the gimbal in order to compensate for heavier weight for the Hero 4 compared to the Hero 3 - did you do anything like this?
2014-10-22
Use props
knichefilms
lvl.1

United States

lucking Posted at 2014-10-23 14:30
Great you took the time to tell and show us about the modification needed!
What about the balance of ...

You are correct, I did forget about that.  You can tape a coin to the bell of the tilt motor and that should help.  I used a dime and some electrical tape, it's not pretty but is functional.  Here's a link to some edited 1080p120 footage.  The 4k30 is amazing as well.
2014-10-23
Use props
lucking
lvl.1

Denmark

Nice. Thanks again.
2014-10-23
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

knichefilms Posted at 2014-10-23 00:36
Hero 4 Black works for sure in all video modes with H3-3D and video downlink.  YES, ALL VIDEO MODES. ...

I need to try slo-mo.
2014-10-30
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10184222 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

For some reason FPV won't work with 4K @30fps... Only At 24fps.
2014-11-1
Use props
guitarian
lvl.2

United States

max567 Posted at 2014-10-23 08:39
thanks for that info! so just for clarity, there is no way for the hero 4 black to work without ta ...

Has anyone tried shaving down the Hero button? Looks like that would be easier and the button should work. I suppose it depends on how much extra plastic is on the button?
2014-11-1
Use props
bennesvig
lvl.1

United States

I just shaved down the H3-3D like others and used a double sided adhesive tape to add a dime to balance out the heavier GoPro 4.  No animal sacrifices yet. First flight went well and the gimbal didn't seem to have any problems.
2014-11-2
Use props
ems1016
New

United States

For what it's worth, I just took delivery tonight from Atlanta Hobby, of the DJI Phantom 2 with Zemuse H3-3D and the Hero 4. Cliff, the owner, states these have been tested and work fine together. They did all of the assembly, but if pics of the set up will help, I will post some upon request. I do not see any filings or penny counterbalances that some are mentioning. It is a perfectly clean gimbal. Haven't flown it yet; having some issues with the seller which I hope are going to be resolved in the morning.

Eddie
2014-11-3
Use props
lucking
lvl.1

Denmark

ems1016 Posted at 2014-11-4 12:22
For what it's worth, I just took delivery tonight from Atlanta Hobby, of the DJI Phantom 2 with Zemu ...

Hi Eddie,
I'm curious how they have resolved that there is not room enough for the settings button in the gimbal. So if you can figure this out and maybe post a picture
Thanks.
2014-11-3
Use props
robbert.mackiew
New

Netherlands

No need to grind the metal of the Gimbal, just check out this video and buy some tape: http://youtu.be/l1eYGMlNNGs
2014-11-9
Use props
martin
New

Switzerland

can someone tell me what I need to do with the gopro4 as well as works gopro3 on the Gimbal
2014-11-16
Use props
shawn
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

martin Posted at 2014-11-17 00:08
can someone tell me what I need to do with the gopro4 as well as works gopro3 on the Gimbal

We have done zero modifications to the Zenmuse H3-3D and it has worked flawless with the GoPro 4 Black Edition
2014-11-17
Use props
ems1016
New

United States

lucking Posted at 2014-11-4 15:28
Hi Eddie,
I'm curious how they have resolved that there is not room enough for the settings button  ...

Sorry to take so long to respond.  See pic attached below. Per the above video link (http://youtu.be/l1eYGMlNNGs), I have since done likewise and simply inserted a small piece of velcrose tape (one single piece) underneath between camera and mount and the settings/preference button is even more easily accessible. Hope this helps.

With respect to expressed concern as to whether all modes of the Hero 4 or Zemuse gimbal are working properly, I can personally assure everyone that, at  least from my own experience, everything works flawlessly together. Only distinguishing feature is, as I've already posted, the camera, when powered off, does not hang in a balanced position but, instead, favors the right side and actually touches the ground at that angle. As to longevity of the gimbal given this initial imbalance, I cannot intelligently comment.

Now a query to the illustrious manufacturers of the Zemuse 3: how about some weights to balance the Hero 4 in powered off setting and corrective software updates to further adjust the gimbal for this added weight balance?

Eddie
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zpljb ... 2022.05.54.jpg?dl=0

2014-11-17
Use props
DigitalHustler
New

United States

All you need to do is connect the gopro LCD to the back of the silver or black hero4. That will activate the bat connector and it will work. Instagram: @highdrone
2014-12-30
Use props
DigitalHustler
New

United States

Another thing that grinds my axe. Why is everyone modifying and grinding the thing in fear of a button?  that button is not active when recording. If you are flying and not recording, then start doing it. But all these videos and threads for a NON ISSUE LOL @highdrone on IG
2014-12-30
Use props
DigitalHustler
New

United States

lboria@me.com Posted at 2014-10-9 19:47
It doesn't work the gimbal works but no video feed or recharging of battery for H32D.

Connect GoPro LCD to hero4 and it'll activate the 30pin port
2014-12-30
Use props
jatiblier
New

United States

Hello,

I wanted to add my experience with this.  I have seen many videos, showing that the Hero4 black works with the H3-3d however my personal Gopro4 black does not like the H3-3D gimbal.   When the camera is in position facing straight ahead it makes a terrible hissing sound, to fix this I tapped a dime to one of the left motor.  Is it acceptable NO... but what can I do?
2015-1-6
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

My experience has been that the Hero 4 Black works fine with the Phantom2 and H3-3D setup. I have 2 Phantom 2's set up this exact way both with the H3-3D and Hero 4 Black camera. HOWEVER: There are a couple things to consider as the Hero 4 is slightly heavier than the Hero 3+. I've used simple U.S. dimes with double sided tape to counter this. I always fly with either a protective lens or an ND filter so that's even more weight to the right side. I use 4 dimes on the left arm of the gimbal and 2 U.S. nickels on the back of the plate where the camera mounts. In addition to the extra Hero 4 and filter weight the nickels compensate for the weight of the lens cover or ND filter. Without the nickels the camera would want to slightly tilt forward.  (See attached picture) I was too afraid of burning out my motors so I felt I had to do this. With the extra weight double taped together you can set the coins in place and see that's it balances perfectly when not powered on. Absolutely NO motor hum or stress what so ever when powered on and running. I've had one of these systems "adjusted" like this for over 3 months. Over 150 flights (in warm and cold climates) and the gimbal still performs as perfect as the day I got it. That said my other Phantom 2/HD-3D system works fine now also after replacing the factory defective gimbal.

Yep... this is kind of a half-ass way to do things. But the truth is the H3-3D WAS NOT made for the Hero 4 no matter who says what. It was made for the exact wieght of the Hero 3+ with no ND or lens protecton filter. Period. Why DJI didn't get a jump on this....is beyond me. So I could sit around pissed and wondering why (which won't change a thing) or I could "fix" the slight wieght difference and start flying and filming. I don't regret a thing.

Here's an example of work with the Hero 4 Black balanced like this on the H3-3D:
IMG_3104.JPG
2015-1-7
Use props
joseph
lvl.1
United States

For everyone grinding the metal... no.

Just turn the GoPro upside down, and use the upside down setting on the camera. Simple.
2015-1-8
Use props
caid
lvl.1

Norway

joseph@megahurt Posted at 2015-1-9 06:38
For everyone grinding the metal... no.

Just turn the GoPro upside down, and use the upside down set ...

And how do you connect the usb/video cable???
2015-1-9
Use props
russellnicholls
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430039 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just got a Phantom 2 with H3-3D, Black Pearl FPV & GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition.

My gimbal is very unbalanced when off, but when turned on it seems to work just fine apart from a vibrations in flight. I tried the (UK) penny trick but it made buzzing noises and jerked around, so I took it off. The vibration doesn't seem to affect the GoPro 4 footage that much, only slightly, but I worry that by using my GoPro 4 Black that I'm going to damage my gimbal in the long run.

Should this be a concern, or just carry on flying without worrying about it?

My first Phantom 2 flight:
2015-1-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules