gopro hero 4 on h3-3d
23442 52 2014-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jatiblier
New

United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-1-8 12:29
My experience has been that the Hero 4 Black works fine with the Phantom2 and H3-3D setup. I have 2  ...

You have a great point and I understand where you're coming from, but I just invested a lot of money into this quad and if the only way it will work properly is if I tape dimes and nickels to the side of it?... not for me
This might be a bad analogy but
If you were to buy a car you would want it to run as it should and not have to tape the hood down to keep it from flying off.
2015-1-13
Use props
michaelgulley
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I totally agree with this. I in the process of gimbal buying (been through the chinese ones) the zenmuse H3 3D seems the way to go despite the cost, but don't want to mess about putting weights on it
2015-1-14
Use props
max567
lvl.1

United States

just fyi dji you have lost my business because of this. i was going to get a phantom 2, but because my camera wont be compatible i am switching to 3dr which fits my camera
2015-1-14
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

jatiblier@gmail Posted at 2015-1-14 15:14
You have a great point and I understand where you're coming from, but I just invested a lot of mon ...

I couldn't agree with you more jatiblier.
When I bought my first set up I knew I wanted to use ND filters to slow the shutter rate of the GoPro for more cinematic natural motion blur. (An ND filter also significantly reduces the well known "jello" effect.) I also planned on always using a clear lens protector if not using the ND filter. (No removable lenses so If the GoPro lens gets scratched by debris, crash etc... the entire camera is done.) Anyway I saw the posts and vids on counter balancing with dimes, nickels, whatever and I though, "What a joke! I'm am not doing that to my brand new Phantom/Gimbal!" Then I started to hear the faint sounds of motor strain and the camera would randomly dip to the right. So... reluctantly...afraid of burning out the gimbal... I tried the dreaded counter balancing trick. (I hate it I do. Pay all this money for a "top of the line" piece of technology and have to half-ass rig it with coins and duct tape!?) But... it worked. It still works. I've got over 150 flights on one of my Phantoms and the gimbal is still dead on level, never had a problem, motors don't strain and camera constantly stays in position the entire flight. So yeah I got into doing this reluctantly but the bottom line is... it works so I leave well enough alone. What's the alternative?

I've seen that the H4-3D is supposed to be release. Yep especially design for the GoPro Hero 4's weight difference. Still I'll want to use filters for professional work, remove "jello" as well as protection so I'd end up adding less weight.... but still adding weight. I seriously doubt DJI would design it with removable counter weights but an ND filter is a necessity on a bright sunny day.  It'll be built for the naked Hero 4 just like the H3-3D is for the naked Hero 3.
All this said the naked GoPro 4 is heavier than the Hero 3. So make no mistake the H3-3D was made exclusively for the Hero 3's wieght. Not the Hero 3 and 4. You shouldn't slap the Hero 4 naked on it just becase it fits the metal backing plate and expect everything else to be fine.... and stay fine.

If anyone tries this just be smart. Obviously at your own risk but It's simple physics. Test by adding your counter weight to the gimbal when powered off. Add just enough that when you lift one side... it stays there. Doesn't float back down (This is a common mistake people make. They think that the gimbal should go back to a level position when one side is lifted. Not the case when balancing a gimbal that's not powered on.) Lift the other side... it should stay there if balanced. Tilt the camera down, then up. Each time the gimbal should stay wherever you let go of it. When I felt I was "in the ball park" as far as the right amount of wieght the subtle tweaks came in by slightly moving the dimes a milimeter to the left or right until it was balanced. Only takes about 5 minutes.

And again.... Yes I still absolutely hate to feel I've had to do this but it is what it is. But my video consistantly looks wonderful so maybe I just got lucky.
Best of luck to everyone.

2015-1-14
Use props
esidey.email
New

United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-1-15 11:36
I couldn't agree with you more jatiblier.
When I bought my first set up I knew I wanted ...
If anyone tries this just be smart. Obviously at your own risk but It's simple physics. Test by adding your counter weight to the gimbal when powered off. Add just enough that when you lift one side... it stays there. Doesn't float back down (This is a common mistake people make. They think that the gimbal should go back to a level position when one side is lifted. Not the case when balancing a gimbal that's not powered on.) Lift the other side... it should stay there if balanced. Tilt the camera down, then up. Each time the gimbal should stay wherever you let go of it. When I felt I was "in the ball park" as far as the right amount of wieght the subtle tweaks came in by slightly moving the dimes a milimeter to the left or right until it was balanced. Only takes about 5 minutes.

you seem to know a bit about balancing... A bit confusing the way this is worded. How exactly do you balance it with an ND filteR?
2015-1-23
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

The same way as mentioned. What part is confusing? If you could elaborate I'll try my best to answer.
2015-1-26
Use props
jon
New

United States

Hi.
I have the phantom 2 with an H3-3D gimbal... and the GoPro Hero 4.

Problem: The gimbal does not use it's entire range of motion. I only get about 20% up and down.

Thoughts?

Here's a link to see the problem:
2015-2-23
Use props
p2paul
lvl.1

Australia

I bought the whole kit 6 months ago, P2, zenmuse 3D-H3, hero4 black, White Dwarf dual Rx, still trying to find a Tx to match. I had a few problems with the gimbal activating the wireless function (if turned on and paired with the app) Solution there is to de-activate. The bracket and hex screws holding the hero on the zenmuse are a PITA. Yes, the balance is out and adding an ND causes more balance issues, using a few coins is a work around. I've had a Tx fry my cam port on the P2 main board, that has to be replaced. Also my Hero4 black bricked on the Zenmuse and has been replaced.

Hopefully I can sort all this out and get to fly and shoot some aerial footage.

I'd get the new P3 pro (4K cam) if I had the money.
2015-4-25
Use props
blacksheep242
New

United States

Got the H3-3D delivered yesterday and the Gopro 4 Silver will be here this weekend. How are you folks figuring that the gimble is unbalanced? Does it lean to a particular side or something or does the motor(s) get hot or buzz? Just curious as I want to be well prepared this weekend for any necessary modifications. Thanks.
2015-5-5
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3176083 ft
  • >>>
United States

russellnicholls Posted at 2015-1-11 05:20
I just got a Phantom 2 with H3-3D, Black Pearl FPV & GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition.

My gimbal is very  ...

Nice video. I got a little dizzy though.
2015-5-10
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I have a GoPro 4 Black on the Phantom 2  with the Zenmuse 3 gimbal it works fine.  Covers the side button very slightly, but still functional.
2015-5-12
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I have a GoPro 4 Black on the Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse 3 gimbal it works fine.  Covers the side button very slightly, but still functional.
Also noted that the balance of the gimbal is not right when switched off, but works fine once powered up.
2015-5-12
Use props
de-pauwels
New

Belgium

Anybody that had this problem with the Hero 4 Black. When I got the Iosd only it works perfectly. If I turn on the GoPro (PAL - 1080/25) my image start flashing. Sending and recieving with AVL58 set, I already tried al the channels. The monitor is also standing in PAL.

2015-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules