Video Lost after starting motors
1201 12 2016-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
meack5
lvl.1
Ireland

My problem with video loss is a little differnt than some I have seen.  First the wifi module did go out and I purchased one in the UK and installed it.  The video comes on and all looks normal but when I start up the motors the wifi connection is lost.  If I stop and reconnect to the phantom wifi the same thing happens over and over.  I send off the Phantom to the vendor I purchased the Wifi module from and they showed no problem - even sent a video of the Phantom flying around with video conected.  

Any ideas?
2016-10-15
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Is your phone trying to search for the internet ?
On my V+ I turn off mobile data on the phone, as with it on it can drop the Phantom Wi-Fi and look for something with internet.
Just an idea
2016-10-15
Use props
meack5
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the hint.  I gave it a try but have the same.  What is strange is that inside or outside -  without GPS signal - the WiFi stays connected and fly's just fine.  With GPS as soon as I apply anything but idle speed the WiFi drops.  I turned off all other data to the phone other than the Phantom WiFi went outside of any other WiFi signal. Even tried it on an old iTouch with the same results.  
So the WiFi drops when there is GPS signal and as soon as the motors are powered up.  I have not been able to find this type of issue anywhere else with internet searches.
2016-10-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Please try to rebind the wifi and make sure the firmware is up to date.
2016-10-17
Use props
sharplkei
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Meack5.

Just a thought for what it's worth with a process of illimination.

Turn on the the bird, controller, app etc getting to the point of gps. Don't start the motors, but lift up by hand the bird and walk around with it tilting it around as you go and check the video on the phone app. If all ok now put down and get gps lock, again don't start the motors but pick up and walk around again tilting and check the phone video connection. If all ok put down and now start the motors if you loose it at that point it may be excessive vibration from the motors causing a bad connection. I would suggest balancing all the props using a good prop balancer, also may be check all the plug/tape connections inside the bird and try again. At the outside it may cure it!

Hope it helps.
2016-10-18
Use props
meack5
lvl.1
Slovenia

Thanks all for the help!
I checked and reloaded all firmware and did a rebinding of the camera (not for the first time!)  No joy! Have always kept the firmware up to date.

On the moving around...  I have balanced blades.  I only loose connection when there is GPS signal.  When inside or out of GPS range the video does not drop with or without props.  The video only drops with GPS signal - with or without props when the motors are started.
2016-10-19
Use props
meack5
lvl.1
Ireland

One more symptom... now when i power up the motors the camera screen says phantom connection lost but the wifi and the start screen both indicate the phantom is connected.

Like so many others I give up until DJI admits the software update is crap and fixes it.  I was stupid enough to buy a Phantom 4 and have only flown it 3 times but now that a new product Mavic is out I'm sure this P4 is now obsolete in the DJI business model.  
2016-10-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

meack5@gmail.co Posted at 2016-10-23 20:05
One more symptom... now when i power up the motors the camera screen says phantom connection lost bu ...

To clarify, you have a Phantom 4 or a Phantom 3 Standard/4K? The Phantom 4 and the Mavic are considered as two different product lines, so the Phantom 4 is not considered a discontinued product.
2016-10-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

meack5@gmail.co Posted at 2016-10-23 23:05
One more symptom... now when i power up the motors the camera screen says phantom connection lost bu ...

Most people probably thought you had a P2 when talking about the WiFi connection and replacing the WiFi module, but if it is a P4 you are talking about it makes no sense. The P4 does not connect via WiFi to anythying. You really need to start this conversation again, explaining what you have.
2016-10-23
Use props
meack5
lvl.1
Ireland

Apologies for the confusion.  I bought a P4 after the P2 crapped out and I couldn't find a replacement WiFi module.  This all happened after I found and replaced the module.  I even sent it back to the vendor who sold me the module and they said it works fine, but they did the their test flights without GPS available.  
2016-10-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

meack5@gmail.co Posted at 2016-10-24 14:11
Apologies for the confusion.  I bought a P4 after the P2 crapped out and I couldn't find a replaceme ...

So there's nothing wrong with the P4 and you are looking for assistance on a Phantom 2 Vision or Vision+? To make sure I'm on the same page, you tried a different WiFi module (which works according to the vendor) but that did not alleviate the problem. Is that correct? Did you notice this after updating firmware or was it after long term storage?
2016-10-23
Use props
meack5
lvl.1
Slovenia

I know it can be tough to follow a long string so here's the summary.  You are correct - this is not about a P4.

My P2v+ worked great and have less than 15 flights over the year since I purchased directly from DJI.
Always did every updated and checked before every flight.  Always full battery with no crashes.  Very careful flights in open space.
Moved to Ireland and on the second time out no video - just got a continuous spinning circle which indicated bad WiFi module.
Put the P2V+ in closet and ordered a P4 because a replacement WiFi module could not be found.  
Found and purchased new Wifi Module out of UK.
Installed and now have video signal but it drops out when starting motors IF GPS has signal.  The P2 flys great inside or outside without GPS signal.
Just looking for the cause.  There is a lot out there about the new DJI Vision app having connection problems but they don't match this scenario.

Thanks!
2016-10-24
Use props
fans1621ecc6
lvl.1
Ireland

Nothing new.
2017-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules