Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dean George
New
Flight distance : 60348 ft
United States

SteveCA Posted at 2016-11-30 16:37
Max height in the USA is 121 meters or 400 feet

It is 400 feet above buildings you are flying within 400 feet of. So if you have a 100 foot building and you are flying within a paremiter of 400 feet of said building you can be at 500 feet above ground level and be legal
2017-4-16
Use props
Dean George
New
Flight distance : 60348 ft
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-23 09:55
For recreational use, there is NO LAW IN THE USA that makes it ILLEGAL to fly above 400 feet above ground.

There is "suggested guideline" to fly recreational RC craft under 400 feet.

The laws of flying a drone in US do apply even to recreational use you just don't have to take a test and have a UAV license to fly it
2017-4-16
Use props
fansdae0387d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 745 ft
United States

rlblue Posted at 2017-4-12 12:38
I think these toys are pretty great, but I created an account to just urge you guys to be careful. I'm a pilot, and I was pretty pro-quadcopter until last November. I was at 2,000' asl flying under Chicago O'Hare's class bravo airspace, two miles out over Lake Michigan heading southbound, and I noticed a helicopter in front of me, and a bit higher. No problem, I thought; I've got the traffic in sight. Seconds later, I blasted by this black thing with flashy lights (looked like a carnival ride) and it was very clearly a "drone" of some sort. I was about 50' from it, and I was traveling at 125kts or around 144 mph.

Please keep these toys away from real aircraft.

I fly drones and  I am also a commercially rated private pilot.  They are not toys.  If a drone came within 50 feet of you, you are obligated to report it as a close encounter.  Did you?
2017-4-16
Use props
fans645a6c3b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 896867 ft
Greece

So, there's no way to go to top, mark that spot and then go to bottom and begin flying upwards
2017-4-16
Use props
halbesma
New
Australia

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2017-1-23 09:18
Not quite. As per your link, it's only limited in controlled airspace:

Totally agree, only limited in Controlled airspace
2017-5-2
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Hmmm... That's about 500 meters.
2017-5-2
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

Has anyone tried to enter a max fly-height of "0" or "-1"? Maybe you get rid of the 500m limitation.
This could be interesting, if you are flying in a mountain terrain and climb up some big hills. Yesterday I had to adjust the height limitation for the first time, because my landingpoint was more than 90m above the starting point. I was on an hiking-trip in the mountains and have filmed some groups at different heights.
2017-5-2
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

From my F4 Phantom flying days, altitude is referenced as Mean Sea Level or Above Ground Level.  The manual lists 5000 m as the service ceiling above sea level.  Page 50 says max flight altitude above height of altitude when turned on (AGL) is 500 m. Manual v1.06.
So if you launched yor Mavic from a place at 1000 m you could ascend 500 m to an altitude of 1500 m msl and 500 m agl.
2017-5-2
Use props
MTUFLYER28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8477969 ft
United States

In the US it is important to differentiate between flying as a hobby vs flying commercially.   If flying as a hobby see this memo from the FAA that provides relevant references indicating the 400 ft is a recommendation.  If you are flying a small unmanned aircraft within the US commercially you must abide by part 107 rules summarized here which state a limit of 400 ft AGL or within 400 ft of a structure.  There are waivers that can be obtained to exceed rules outline in part 107.  

Here are additional links:
AC 91-57

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT. See page 6

Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107). Click on the link for the full PDF

Hope this helps.  It's all of our responsibilities to fly safely regardless of the rules/ regulations...
2017-5-2
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 597795 ft
United States

One problem I've encountered recently was in Tuscon.  I started flying the drone into a hilly area and took it up to max altitude which was at the time set to 120m in the app.  The top of the hill happened to be higher than that.  So the limit seems to be based off of the spot where the drone took off and not the AGL of where the drone is currently.  That's a problem.  It will limit the footage you can really capture.  Also with the height restriction of 500m can be a problem in rare situations.  I know that if you are near very high buildings you are allowed to fly at least as high as the roof tops of those.  While that's not a problem in the US it could be an issue if you visit somewhere that has a very tall structure like Dubai.
2017-5-9
Use props
fansd15c581c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 99393 ft
United States

Is there a way to set the app's max altitude limit to more than 500 meters? Like an authorization code or something? DJI rep how bout chiming in?
2017-5-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Towlie Posted at 2017-5-9 20:26
One problem I've encountered recently was in Tuscon.  I started flying the drone into a hilly area and took it up to max altitude which was at the time set to 120m in the app.  The top of the hill happened to be higher than that.  So the limit seems to be based off of the spot where the drone took off and not the AGL of where the drone is currently.  That's a problem.  It will limit the footage you can really capture.  Also with the height restriction of 500m can be a problem in rare situations.  I know that if you are near very high buildings you are allowed to fly at least as high as the roof tops of those.  While that's not a problem in the US it could be an issue if you visit somewhere that has a very tall structure like Dubai.

So the limit seems to be based off of the spot where the drone took off and not the AGL of where the drone is currently.

That's correct: the reported height is always the estimated height relative to your takeoff location regardless of where you happen to be flying. In fact, it can even be negative if you fly lower than your takeoff point.
2017-5-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fansd15c581c Posted at 2017-5-10 09:13
Is there a way to set the app's max altitude limit to more than 500 meters? Like an authorization code or something? DJI rep how bout chiming in?

Is there a way to set the app's max altitude limit to more than 500 meters?

Not that I've ever heard of.
2017-5-10
Use props
phatlewt
New
New Zealand

James Young Posted at 2016-10-16 06:10
OK

Firstly, I wanted to clarify the question.

Did you manage to climb up a hillside to fly your drone? How was your experience?
2017-5-21
Use props
fans2c197471
New

United States

So if there was a really steep hill and you started at the bottom, you could fly up 500 ft, find a place to land, reset the home point, which should reset the altitude to zero, fly another 500 ft, rinse, repeat as much as necessary. Also, for a tall building, you could climb your way up, land on a terrace to reset the altimeter, and keep going up, then land on the roof, and fly up to 500 ft above that, heh.
2017-5-31
Use props
SNP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1106011 ft
United Kingdom

AusAir Posted at 2016-11-30 20:09
I don't get why people are so intent on breaking the rules with these things. Seriously why? It's that sort of caper that makes it harder for the rest of us when regulations become tighter.

One day, some genius is going to wake up wondering just how high their drone will fly then set about finding out just that without any care or regard for the rules and the worst will happen. Sadly, this is not a matter of if, but when. At best, it'll do no more damage than a bird strike. At worst..... it doesn't even bare thinking about. What ever the outcome of the scenario, the individuals only daily thought from then on will relate to how best to react if the soap falls on the floor.

lol! You're probably right. I have no idea why anyone would want to go any higher anyway. I've been practicing flying with a cheap Hubsan drone and have been advised that I should master this first and then invest in a Mavic. I say 'master' but this only means holding off until I can justify the expenditure as a birthday present to myself! But on the note of flying at a legal altitude; does anyone know the altitude legal limits in the UK?

Thanks in advance,

Jr.
2017-6-1
Use props
Skold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239170 ft
United States

SteveCA Posted at 2016-11-30 16:37
Max height in the USA is 121 meters or 400 feet

This is a "recommended" height limit.  There is no legal height limit.
2017-6-1
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

In the Specs of the MAVIC if I remember correctly says that you shouldn't fly above 5000 meters ASL (Above Sea Level). I believe this has to do with the air density in which at those altitudes the design of the propellers of the MAVIC will not be very efficient and the engines would need to run quite fast in order to hold its altitude.
2017-6-1
Use props
Mountaindrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

a video of a flight at altitude 4200 meters (height 100 meters...)

2017-6-1
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 544222 ft
Romania

500m .. tested from home point in Europe/Romania
2017-6-1
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Mooney Posted at 2016-11-30 20:16
"What ever the outcome of the scenario, the individuals only daily thought from then on will relate to how best to react if the soap falls on the floor."

BINGO!!!

LOL !!
2017-9-6
Use props
Kaji Ryoji
New

Philippines

Help?? i wonder what happened?,... I set altitude to 50m for a test,.... drone disregarded altitude limit and continued to fly higher.... no mods on the drone however.... tried to the same setting max alt to 150.... it seems the drone is disregarding the app settings......
2017-9-6
Use props
fans1737cdb7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87792 ft
India

ok I have two doubts:

1) If my elevation is 200m and I have set Altitude setting of 500m in DJI app so my max height should be limited to 300m but last time it reached upto 500m (as I checked on controller display screen) then it stopped and gave warning.

2) I have to adjust the Altitude in the app as I travel in mountains what if I reach peak of 5000m or above can I fly drone there.
2017-10-20
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did an 11,000 feet high altitude flight in Wyoming a month or two ago; I flew for around 20 minutes and still came back with 25% battery, so it handled the cold and thin air fine in my books....

Ian

2017-10-21
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

I don't get why people are so intent on breaking the rules with these things. Seriously why? It's that sort of caper that makes it harder for the rest of us when regulations become tighter.

One day, some genius is going to wake up wondering just how high their drone will fly then set about finding out just that without any care or regard for the rules and the worst will happen. Sadly, this is not a matter of if, but when. At best, it'll do no more damage than a bird strike. At worst..... it doesn't even bare thinking about. What ever the outcome of the scenario, the individuals only daily thought from then on will relate to how best to react if the soap falls on the floor.

American's know freedom. People don't like their rights to be infringed on. That's why. Once apoon a time, American's owned the air space above, and the ground below their properties. Freedoms are eroding, and people in the drone industry just bend over and ask for anther.
2017-10-21
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

halbesma Posted at 2017-5-2 04:33
Totally agree, only limited in Controlled airspace

Thats right and within City area limits
2017-10-21
Use props
Anne Pham
New

Canada

What the poor person is asking at the very beginning is what I want to know...and those who do not know the difference between AGL and AMSL, please DO NOT RESPOND.

This isn't about the legalities of flight or how high off the ground you can fly it, it's about the capabilities of the Mavic Pro at high altitudes and elevations.  

Has anyone tested flying the Mavic Pro at 5000M AMSL and had any flight concerns with the air pressure, temperature etc....etc...

Because if you're on Mt. Everest, it won't matter how high you're allowed to fly it if if won't fly more than a 20 ft AGL.
2018-2-27
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

RWJorg Posted at 2016-11-30 19:41
Legal height yes, but is this hard-coded into the Mavic ? I was unable to alter the setting. I can change the setting on my P4

I was able to change mine to 500 meters and I’m I’m the US.
2018-2-27
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't get why people are so intent on breaking the rules with these things. Seriously why? It's that sort of caper that makes it harder for the rest of us when regulations become tighter.

One day, some genius is going to wake up wondering just how high their drone will fly then set about finding out just that without any care or regard for the rules and the worst will happen. Sadly, this is not a matter of if, but when. At best, it'll do no more damage than a bird strike. At worst..... it doesn't even bare thinking about. What ever the outcome of the scenario, the individuals only daily thought from then on will relate to how best to react if the soap falls on the floor.

Same reason people drive 90mph in a 70mph zone. Because we can.
2018-2-27
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Anne Pham Posted at 2018-2-27 10:40
What the poor person is asking at the very beginning is what I want to know...and those who do not know the difference between AGL and AMSL, please DO NOT RESPOND.

This isn't about the legalities of flight or how high off the ground you can fly it, it's about the capabilities of the Mavic Pro at high altitudes and elevations.  

I'd go with this:

Mavic Specs.JPG
2018-2-27
Use props
Boogie Man
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3514 ft
Austria

Is there a Workaround? I am in the Alps at 600m . Want to fly fly to the Mountain next to me. Is 1270m . But i can not get up, because of the Limit 500m. Would like to fly about 200m Higher, to make Pictures from the Skiarea. Why its not Level from Ground, but Level from Starting Point ??
2018-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules