Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Safe flight if gps is lost/ video lose signal at 80ft
1697 15 2016-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
billy_houston
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello

ive seen youtube videos of p3s flying above the clouds with there video recording all the time how is this possible when my video stops working after 80 ft?

Also if i use the waypoints function can i fly 1 mile away for a safe return?

Maybe quite silly questions but iv only had it a week
2016-10-16
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The camera should continue recording to the SD card even if you lose video signal to your screen.
Losing video signal at 80 feet is not normal.  You should have a good connection out 500 metres and more.

Yes, it's possible to fly a waypoint mission further than you have control signal ... but don't go attempting that until you are completely familiar with your Phantom's operation and get the video signal issue sorted out.
2016-10-16
Use props
billy_houston
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks

It loses gos after 80 ft too is this not normal either?

Has it got to do with were im flying it?
2016-10-16
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

billy_houston Posted at 2016-10-17 07:18
Thanks

It loses gos after 80 ft too is this not normal either?

If your Phantom has a good view of the sky, it should always have good GPS satellite cover.
If you fly in a canyon, a warehouse or under a forest canopy you will lose GPS.
2016-10-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Have you made sure that your antennas are positioned correctly?

Could you clarify what mobile device you're using and what firmware/software you're running?
2016-10-16
Use props
billy_houston
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Iphone 6 and iv got the latest firmware ?
2016-10-17
Use props
billy_houston
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The video has explained what iv been doing wrong

Thanks
2016-10-17
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

billy_houston Posted at 2016-10-17 04:24
The video has explained what iv been doing wrong

Thanks

Let us know what you were doing wrong. Others with the same problem will then know what not to do.
2016-10-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-10-18 10:47
Let us know what you were doing wrong. Others with the same problem will then know what not to do.

It's pretty obvious.
Antenna orientation was the problem.
Watch the video and learn how to orient the antennas properly.
2016-10-17
Use props
billy_houston
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Problem was i was going high right under my position with the aerial pointing upwards losing signal. Never knew proper procedures concerning aerial signal direction
2016-10-18
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

Not trying to be snarky here, but, if you didn't know how to use the antennas, it sounds like you probably haven't familiarized yourself with the manual.  It also might be time well spent just doing basics, GPS flying, Atti mode, etc...until you are VERY familiar with the aircraft before jumping off into waypoints.   It sounds like an accident waiting to happen....just sayin'.
2016-10-18
Use props
fans187b66f6
lvl.1

United Kingdom

This is still happenening after all the advice shall i contact dji directly ?
2017-4-26
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

MGR57 Posted at 2016-10-18 12:18
Not trying to be snarky here, but, if you didn't know how to use the antennas, it sounds like you probably haven't familiarized yourself with the manual.  It also might be time well spent just doing basics, GPS flying, Atti mode, etc...until you are VERY familiar with the aircraft before jumping off into waypoints.   It sounds like an accident waiting to happen....just sayin'.

Couldn't agree more with MGR57! To all of you NEWBEES.......be patient. We were all there at some point, but you need to spend a fair amount of time in reading the manual, videos, etc. before you are ready to take that giant leap. That is if you want to protect your investment. An accident waiting to happen for sure, and then you will be on this forum asking for answers of "Why did that happen to me?". As much as these are ready to fly, you can get into trouble without realizing it. We all paid a fair amount of money for our drones, unless you have it to just throw around, take small steps and understand how your aircraft will  react. Sure we all want to run those long waypoint missions and not worry about what happens if the signal is lost, but there is understanding and planning that goes into those things. The old saying you must learn to crawl before you walk is very much true. We can all learn more, but we all need to also "burn" enough time by trying things and understanding what is going to happen......that includes making mistakes, which we all do, but hopefully we are able recover from those and prevent the bigger ones.
2017-4-26
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

"Also if i use the waypoints function can i fly 1 mile away for a safe return?"
If you are flying in the UK then you should have control and line of sight at all times, which means no flying behind buildings or out of sight above the clouds, otherwise it would not be considered safe since you have no way of avoiding collisions with other aircraft.  Remember that you have to give way to all manned aircraft and avoid collisions with all others.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans187b66f6
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Obviously ?
2017-4-26
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Using Litchi for waypoint missions, if you loose signal/picture the waypoint mission will continue with out interruption, mission is loaded right to your bird, so it completes the mission on its own.
Just make sure your last waypoint is close to you!
2017-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules