Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Controller Issue
860 11 2016-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gm2376
New

Hi All,
Just got my first drone, a phantom 3 standard. Have been using it for a  few weeks, and decided my phone was too small of a screen, so I ordered a  Inspire tablet mount to install. Of course, i was drilling the hole for  the mount a little too fast and cut the light gray wire going to the (I  think)square antenna in the upper corner. I tried to splice the wire  back together and shrink wrap it, but I am guessing i did a poor job,  because now I can barely connect to any satellites and it switches back  and forth from alti to gps. Is DJI Part 97 the correct part to replace  that antenna? Thanks for the help.Hi All,

Just  got my first drone, a phantom 3 standard. Have been using it for a few  weeks, and decided my phone was too small of a screen, so I ordered a  Inspire tablet mount to install. Of course, i was drilling the hole for  the mount a little too fast and cut the light gray wire going to the (I  think)square antenna in the upper corner. I tried to splice the wire  back together and shrink wrap it, but I am guessing i did a poor job,  because now I can barely connect to any satellites and it switches back  and forth from alti to gps. Is DJI Part 97 the correct part to replace  that antenna? Thanks for the help.

2016-10-17
Use props
spuckett7
lvl.1

United States

I'm pretty sure DJI Part 97 are the antennas that go inside the Phantom, not the Remote Control.
2016-10-17
Use props
gm2376
New

would anyone have any ideas on the part number for the two square antennas in the remote?
2016-10-17
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I take it you're referring to the grey antenna wire in the photo below?

To the best of my knowledge that is not one of the usual repair parts that DJI offers for sale.  You might try eBay to see if anybody has canibalized a controller to sell for parts or, if you're really lucky, is selling a controller for cheap.  Your best option might be to try and redo the splice and cover it with some shielding to minimize RF leakage.
The alternative is sending it back to DJI and incurring a long wait and some damage to your wallet.

P3S_RC_interior.jpg
2016-10-17
Use props
gm2376
New

gil Posted at 2016-10-18 03:32
I take it you're referring to the grey antenna wire in the photo below?

To the best of my knowledge ...

that is exactly it. was over zealous with the drill bit. the wire is too short to splice. A new remote may unfortunately be in my future.
2016-10-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gm2376 Posted at 2016-10-17 21:05
that is exactly it. was over zealous with the drill bit. the wire is too short to splice. A new re ...

Could you replace the cable ? you'd probably get a short length of screened cable from a good radio/electronics hobby store fairly cheaply.
2016-10-17
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

gm2376 Posted at 2016-10-17 16:05
that is exactly it. was over zealous with the drill bit. the wire is too short to splice. A new re ...

On the positive side, after a quick search I saw that there seems to be an abundance of controllers on eBay in the $50 and under range.  I'd bet it would be quicker and cheaper that DJI support (and you'd have an extra controller for spare parts and experiments!)
2016-10-17
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I know my Radio Shack here in town would be able to fix it. Perhaps you have a Radio Shack or same type business you could bring it to.
2016-10-17
Use props
gm2376
New

United States

thanks. i can try radio shack too. what do those two internal 2.4ghz antennas do? I took it outside, and it did connect to satellites. That was with one of them completely out of the control. I did fly it, very low and it did hover and stay in its space. are they for relaying telemetry?
2016-10-17
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

gm2376 Posted at 2016-10-17 18:09
thanks. i can try radio shack too. what do those two internal 2.4ghz antennas do? I took it outside, ...

I live in a small town, the Radio Shack here is run by a couple of old guys who have run it for 40 years or so. They do repairs on electronics. If yours is in a mall, I don't know if they do repairs, they may just be sellers.
2016-10-17
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

That grey wire is two conductors in one.

The inner wire that conducts the signal.
The outer shield wire that is connected to chassis ground.
2016-10-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

gm2376 Posted at 2016-10-17 16:05

You can get a replacement cable complete with connectors from an old wireless router.  You can remove the antenna connector on the end and solder that to the flat panel.  Probably the reason you are having issues is because that wire is actually 2 wires, it's a coax with a shield and a center conductor.  The router wire has the right connector to go to the motherboard.  If you look closely, you will see the connector has a small pin in the center.  That is the pin that  goes top the center conductor.  The shell around it is the shield.   What you have done, it sounds like, is short the two together.  Bad idea.  Fortunately,  those are antenna for receiving the video signal.  If it was to the transmitter,  you would have ruined the remote.
2016-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules