Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is the phantom series worth it?
945 8 2016-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
2000vadasz2
lvl.3

United States

Now with the realses of the mavic pro what do you think about the phantom series? is it still worth buying and is there any way dji can bring back the series? Compared to the phantom the mavic is better in every aspect except feild of view. so what do you think?
2016-10-18
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

In not sure yet The Mavic is better.....2 different birds with 2 different purposes.

1) The phantom is a proven platform

2) Its bigger and it can take higher winds and its faster

3) the accessories and custom components on the market for it are endless.

The Mavic

1) is smaller and more portable Thats nice ..... but it reduces payload and imposes certain custom   design limits.
The phantom was never a heavy lifter..... However you could certainly add a GPS
tracker and some mounting hardware for it... maybe additional lights for use in overcast conditions.

2) currently the Mavic has Occu sync...
This can be easily added to the phantom in the next release

We have had this discussion via phantom vs inspire for a long time... after we come full circle we usually conclude there is a place for both. in the near term at least.... I do not think the phantom is in danger of being obsolete quit yet
2016-10-18
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A good question.
We'll know over the next few Months whether the Mavic is the P3P or P4 beater. Over the longer term I'm not so sure. Wear & tear on the folding arms, the props, the software, the motors, the firmware, who knows for sure ?
2016-10-18
Use props
ezdrew430
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

All depends on your usage. The p4 has a much better camera from all the footage I've seen and all the reasons that "AlaskanTides" mentioned before me is why I would way rather have the P4. But if you really want the portability then the mavic pro is cool I guess.

For me I'm willing to sacrifice less portability for better quality. I've hiked miles to film with my p4.
2016-10-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"Compared to the phantom the mavic is better in every aspect except field of view"
Better?  how do you work that out?

Mavic  FoV = 78.8° 28 mm (35 mm format equivalent)
Phantom  FoV = 94° 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent)

The idea that a 94° FoV is somehow "better" that a 79° FoV is like saying that green is better than blue.
There's nothing better about one or the other, they are just different.
The automatic assumption that bigger must equal better is often wrong.
2016-10-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-10-18 15:41
In not sure yet The Mavic is better.....2 different birds with 2 different purposes.

1) The phan ...

"maybe additional lights for use in overcast conditions. "

I know where you can add some incredible lights, that can actually do much more for improving your photography, but with better long distance orientation as a secondary consideration. Even on the brightest day, these are visible for great distances.
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html
They are already looking at something for attaching cubes to the Mavic too. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2016-10-18
Use props
2000vadasz2
lvl.3

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-18 20:52
"Compared to the phantom the mavic is better in every aspect except field of view"
Better?  how do y ...

that is true and the mavic process that smaller is better.
2016-10-19
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

YES. Have the P3S currency and if I was to get another it most likely would be the P3A because of the price point. If $ was no object then maybe the P4, but for sure it would be a Phantom.
2016-10-19
Use props
2000vadasz2
lvl.3

ezdrew430 Posted at 2016-10-19 09:39
All depends on your usage. The p4 has a much better camera from all the footage I've seen and all th ...

the only reason because the phantom 4 has "better" camera quality is because the footage is automatically post sharpens. but if you do a little post sharpening on the mavic you will see the quality is exactly the same.
2016-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules