What are you registered as with the FAA?
2814 33 2016-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eldonbkh
lvl.4
United States

Just curious to see what you guys are registered as with the FAA Model or Non-Model Aircraft.

-Also do you use any footage on Youtube?
My Wife gets paid from Youtube and id like to use some footage in her videos.

-Have you had any encounters with any authorities?
How was the situation handled?
2016-10-18
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Im licensed as a Remote PIC under part 107.... my birds all have commercial registration. (If you intend on using any of you're videos on you tube) to Promote her business...  You too will have to follow part 107 get your license and use a commercially registerd aircraft.  Or risk backlash from the FAA..
Yes they are cracking down on illegal drone use... Therfore commiting a crime and posting it on you tube?  Thats youre decicion.
2016-10-18
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Luckily my Youtube videos aren't popular enough to get monetized.  :p
2016-10-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-10-19 04:46
Luckily my Youtube videos aren't popular enough to get monetized.  :p

That's funny
Here is the FAA website for register information for hobby and commercial.
https://registermyuas.faa.gov/
2016-10-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Putting your videos on Youtube isn't commercial flying.
Don't worry about it .. the FAA couldn't care less.
2016-10-20
Use props
Eldonbkh
lvl.4
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-20 02:40
Putting your videos on Youtube isn't commercial flying.
Don't worry about it .. the FAA couldn't car ...

Even if your videos are monetized?
2016-10-20
Use props
civeng123
lvl.2

United States

Eldonbkh@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-20 09:23

Here are a couple of instances that can get you sideways with the FAA really quickly as they are considered commercial flying.

1) Your boss knows you have a cool drone and asks if you would mind taking a quick video of the office building roof to help locate a leak.  This is considered flying for hire as you are employed by the company and are flying it for the benefit of that company.  It matters not, whether you are paid separately for this work.

2) You have a YouTube channel with a few subscribers and love to post drone videos.  As soon as you turn on the monetize options, you are flying for compensation.  

3) Your buddy offers you a couple of tickets to the football game in return for videoing his lake house he has for sale...

Like everything, 99 times out of 100 there will never be any kind of repercussions, but it's that 1 time that you accidentally run your drone into the crabby ladies house down the street and she files a complaint with the FAA that can get you.  

2016-10-20
Use props
Eldonbkh
lvl.4
United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-20 07:33
Here are a couple of instances that can get you sideways with the FAA really quickly as they are c ...

Agreed, so what are you registered as?
2016-10-20
Use props
civeng123
lvl.2

United States

Eldonbkh@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-20 10:31
Agreed, so what are you registered as?

I have a part 107 certificate and a ASEL with IFR endorsement.  I will be registering the Mavic as commercial, just in case I ever trip over any money while flying it!
2016-10-20
Use props
Eldonbkh
lvl.4
United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-20 08:34
I have a part 107 certificate and a ASEL with IFR endorsement.  I will be registering the Mavic as ...

What if I fly for Recreational use only and post on YouTube and someone ask to use clips of my video, I give the the file at no charge. But they are monetized?
2016-10-20
Use props
civeng123
lvl.2

United States

Eldonbkh@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-20 11:07
What if I fly for Recreational use only and post on YouTube and someone ask to use clips of my vid ...

Unfortunately, there are hundreds of what-ifs with different subtle nuances that could be thrown out.  The one thing to keep in mind id that the FAA has a very broad interpretation of compensation.

For example, I am a private pilot without a commercial endorsement (real planes not drones here).  Let's say you and I are friends and you ask me to fly you to Dallas so you can visit your sick mother.  In this case we can't even split the cost of fuel, that is considered flying for hire.  The FAA even considers the flight time that I log to be of some value.  

There must be a common purpose to the trip.  Ie. , I am already flying to Dallas and you want to Hitch a ride.  In this case it is OK, for us to split the cost of the fuel, oil etc...   I know it sounds ridiculous, but dems da rules...

So, what you have to ask yourself is, can you defend what you did when they knock on your door.  
2016-10-20
Use props
Eldonbkh
lvl.4
United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-21 00:50
Unfortunately, there are hundreds of what-ifs with different subtle nuances that could be thrown ou ...

I totally agree/understand where you are coming from. I work for a 14 CFR part 145 Repair Station so I know how technical it is with the FAA. I have also sent a request to the UAS Division for more info in this topic ill update in this post once I hear back from them. Thanks for your replies.
2016-10-20
Use props
civeng123
lvl.2

United States

Eldonbkh@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-20 12:27
I totally agree/understand where you are coming from. I work for a 14 CFR part 145 Repair Station  ...

I would expect the FAA to come out with an Advisory Circular particular to this in the upcoming weeks.
2016-10-20
Use props
civeng123
lvl.2

United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-20 12:31
I would expect the FAA to come out with an Advisory Circular particular to this in the upcoming we ...

To me, the costs were so minimal to get my part 107 cert and register the Mavic as commercial, it was a no-brainer to cover all bases.  
2016-10-20
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

There has been a case where a person shot from their drone and put it on YouTube.  He didn't think anything of it and it started making money.  He was later cited because it was now making money and therefore commercial.  You can choose not to have it monetized.

Without a part 107 you can't create anything that will be used to directly make money or provide any type of promotion that will make money another way.  
Example:  I can't use my drone to shoot footage on my own with absolutely no compensation fom the company I work for then give them the video for ONLY promotion.  Even though I wasn't compensated the footage in the end will be used to promote the company.  While they are not directly earning money for showing the video in an exhibit booth for example it is used to promote which in turn makes money for the company.  
2016-10-20
Use props
civeng123
lvl.2

United States

superjet96 Posted at 2016-10-20 12:35
There has been a case where a person shot from their drone and put it on YouTube.  He didn't think a ...

You were presumably being paid by the company that you work for while shooting the video.  You are, by definition, flying for hire...

Let's say, you work for a construction company and take some aerial progress videos for internal use only...You are flying for commercially.  

2016-10-20
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Eldonbkh@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-21 01:23

The idea that you can't make a little pocket money from Youtube without upsetting the FAA is a popular forum myth.
The story comes from March 2015 when one FAA official overstepped his authority.
The FAA clarified the situation soon after.
Read all about it here:http://www.forbes.com/sites/greg ... ideos/#14923699405b
2016-10-20
Use props
did u see it?
lvl.2
United States

superjet96 Posted at 2016-10-20 13:35
There has been a case where a person shot from their drone and put it on YouTube.  He didn't think a ...

Can the video be monetized later? If not, then Youtube can't use it either, because it makes money even if you don't.
2016-10-21
Use props
Eldonbkh
lvl.4
United States

This is the response from the FAA, even tho i wasnt asking if i can release to the media.

Thank you for your inquiry. You can review the FAA’s guideline for media use of UAS here (PDF): http://www.faa.gov/about/office_ ... liams-afs-80%20-%20(2015)%20legal%20interpretation.pdf.

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
UAShelp@faa.gov
http://www.faa.gov/uas
2016-10-21
Use props
civeng123
lvl.2

United States

Eldonbkh@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-21 09:29
This is the response from the FAA, even tho i wasnt asking if i can release to the media.

The link appears to be broken.
Try this link

2016-10-21
Use props
civeng123
lvl.2

United States

Eldonbkh@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-21 09:29

Here is what looks to be the pertinent section:

"Whether an individual taking pictures or videos or gathering other information using a model
aircraft under the section 336 carve-out could later sell those pictures, videos, or other information
would depend on the person's original intentions in conducting the operation. If the individual's
takes the pictures or videos or gathers other information as part of a hobby or recreational activity,
then a later decision to sell some or all of those pictures, videos, or other information would not
change the character of the operation as part of a hobby or recreational activity that falls within the
section 336 carve-out for model aircraft. No FAA authorization for that operation would be
required.
However, if the individual is conducting the operation with the primary intention of obtaining
pictures, videos, or other information to sell, then the operation is commercial in nature and not
part of a hobby or recreational activity. As noted above, such operations currently would require
an authorization from the FAA. Evidence that may indicate an individual's true intentions in
conducting an operation may include the frequency with which pictures, videos, or other
information collected using an unmanned aircraft is later resold. Operations that frequently result
in pictures, videos, or other information that is sold to a third party may indicate that the operation
is in fact commercial in nature notwithstanding the individual's claim of a hobby or recreational
purpose. The FAA would have to consider each case on its own merits."

I would take this to mean that if you start monetizing Youtube videos that you originally took recreationally, then you would be ok.  The issue then is if you keep monetizing videos after that, It could appear to be commercial in nature.  

2016-10-21
Use props
Eldonbkh
lvl.4
United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-21 07:34
The link appears to be broken.
Try this link

For some reason the link dont work when its copied and pasted, google search (see below and click that link).
Capture.PNG
2016-10-21
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-20 13:42
You were presumably being paid by the company that you work for while shooting the video.  You are ...

No, doing it on your own time thus not being paid.  Even if you do it as volunteer for someone else it is still an issue.
2016-10-21
Use props
jtpowell
New
Flight distance : 129226 ft
United States

The FAA has already given their interpretation of what recreational and hobbyist use are as well as what constitutes furtherance of a business. Anyone who thinks the FAA is going to use that person's own personal private interpretation instead of their publicly published one is kidding themselves. https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf
2016-10-21
Use props
Eldonbkh
lvl.4
United States

superjet96 Posted at 2016-10-21 23:12
No, doing it on your own time thus not being paid.  Even if you do it as volunteer for someone els ...

So what if I record some thing and then let your company use it for free?
2016-10-21
Use props
jtpowell
New
Flight distance : 129226 ft
United States

Eldonbkh@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-21 23:36
So what if I record some thing and then let your company use it for free?

The determining factor is not wether or not you did it for free but if it's ultimately for the furtherance of business.

"Likewise, flights that are in furtherance of a business, or incidental to a person’s business, would not be a hobby or recreation flight."
2016-10-21
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
United States

jtpowell Posted at 2016-10-21 11:57
The determining factor is not wether or not you did it for free but if it's ultimately for the fur ...

Correct.  It is still making money in the end by being a promotional video.  The FAA really covered their bases on this one.
2016-10-21
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

What if the footage (from a drone) happens to BANKRUPT a business, thereby, furtherance would not occur.
2016-10-21
Use props
baychilla
lvl.2

United States

Register, get the 107 save yourself from being made a role model of what not to do.
2016-10-21
Use props
baychilla
lvl.2

United States

Eldonbkh@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-20 07:23

No, should the FAA care they could nail you for that (like they could say Casey Neistat, Fro Knows Photo, Matt Granger etc...)
2016-10-21
Use props
baychilla
lvl.2

United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-20 08:34
I have a part 107 certificate and a ASEL with IFR endorsement.  I will be registering the Mavic as ...

Uhh, how does one get an IFR endorsement for a drone?  I know how actual pilots due, but I have a hard time believing a drone op gets IFR.
2016-10-21
Use props
baychilla
lvl.2

United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-20 09:50
Unfortunately, there are hundreds of what-ifs with different subtle nuances that could be thrown ou ...

What he says ^^^^ Remember the FAA is the 800lb gorilla that will more often than not get its way with you as the pulverized victim.
2016-10-21
Use props
baychilla
lvl.2

United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-20 10:42
You were presumably being paid by the company that you work for while shooting the video.  You are ...

Makes me wonder if anyone has gone after GoPro for all their internal Karma testers not having 107 certs...
2016-10-21
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

baychilla Posted at 2016-10-21 19:17
Uhh, how does one get an IFR endorsement for a drone?  I know how actual pilots due, but I have a  ...

He said he has a Part 61 Airplane Single Engine Land with Instrument Rating.
2016-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules