General question re: transmission / communication between RC / Drone
965 16 2016-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

I've done quite a bit of flying with both my P3 and P4.  My P3 has an expensive extender on it that works incredibly.  Question....When the transmission video on the ipad (tablet or iphone) starts to cut in an out, is that an indication that you are reaching your "range" of the RC linked to the drone?  I know it will come home (supposedly) if you lose connection, but sometimes, my picture will flicker in and out and then restore itself....Wondering if that's just normal "interference."  

Obviously, when you start to get the red warning in the upper right hand corner that says "weak signal or transmission" then you are at your max range (not necessarily distance as their may be obstacles).  This has happened to me twice and both times, I immediatley flew backwards and all was fine.  Certainly didn't want to push it and I woud just as well not have to use the automatic RTH feature.  

Anyone with experience with this would be appreciated.

2016-10-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Tripper, when you got the "weak signal or transmission" message on the screen, how about the distance and height at that moment?
Have you checked the led status on the remote? it's red or green? if it is green and you could control the aircraft with remote, that means your aircraft still links to RC.
Besides, may I know what mobile device you are using?
Please fly in an open place without interference, such as high buildings, and adjust antennas to the optimal range.
2016-10-19
Use props
Roadstar1700
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1203484 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-10-19 21:59
Hi Tripper, when you got the "weak signal or transmission" message on the screen, how about the dist ...

Hi DJI Natalia,  Wouldn't the red/green indicator on the RC have to be transmitted from the aircraft telling you that the aircraft is or is not receiving RC signals? If the video transmission starts to falter you would think the aircraft status feed would also stop.

I've had many flights where I've lost video, but never thought to look at the RC to see if the link light goes red.
2016-10-19
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-10-20 09:59
Hi Tripper, when you got the "weak signal or transmission" message on the screen, how about the dist ...

Thanks for your response.  

I am using a mini iPad. I normally get the weak transmission signal when I am in an open space, but there many trees in between me and the drone (at a much lower level) or trees in the general area.  It's almost impossible to fly in an completely open area.  I have noticed that when this signal appears, immediately increasing the altitude of the drone, almost always helps the situation.  

But, I was also curious if when flying low behind my home (an open farm field with trees) if the temporary transmission signal, or the occasion blinking of the screen where the picture temporarily goes out and comes right back....If that was from general interference from nearby homes with other 2.4 ghz signals (which are very prevalent) with many electronic devices in today's environment.
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Roadstar1700 Posted at 2016-10-20 10:31
Hi DJI Natalia,  Wouldn't the red/green indicator on the RC have to be transmitted from the aircra ...

Yes, we could judge whether RC still links to RC through the LED status on remote, also we could check the info through APP.
For image transmission issue, please make sure the firmware is up to date, your mobile device is DJI recommended one.
Before flight, you could turn off all background programs, and enable "Hardware decoding" if you use an IOS device.
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-20 10:45

I am using a mini iPad. I normally get the weak transmission signal wh ...

It seems there's much interference with the environment, both 2.4G wifi signal and electronic devices have negative influence on the image transmission quality.
2016-10-19
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-19 16:45

I am using a mini iPad. I normally get the weak transmission signal wh ...

Aloha Tripper,

After you have resolved your questions on the subject look at this thread on vegetation signal penetration using range boosters.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-60563-1-1.html

Lower in the posts are some photos of copper leaf parabolic range extenders that cut right through the foliage.  They are inexpensive and work well if you get the copper ones that are independent (as you can see in the photos).  They also do not void your warranty.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-19
Use props
bearmikie1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 165600 ft
United States

There seems to be a lot of trouble with the signal lately. A possible problem to be high solar flares off the sun.  Plus the earths magnetic field is changing.  North pole switching with the south.

Just another possibility?

Mikie
2016-10-19
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-10-20 12:26
It seems there's much interference with the environment, both 2.4G wifi signal and electronic devi ...

So, if your image gets distorted or flickers on your tablet, but your RC stays green, that is NOT an indication of one reaching the near end point of range (even if short distances around objects), but more of general interference of the video transmission to the device. Is that correct?
2016-10-20
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-20 13:24
Aloha Tripper,

After you have resolved your questions on the subject look at this thread on  ...

Thank you Cetaman for your response.  I have seen that thread you have referred to....An excellent one!

Attached are two pictures of the extender I have on may P3 RC, which I pair with my P4.  I also have the extenders you refer to.  The copper extenders do help some, but the other extender is clearly superior by at least 7-8x.  

I live in a small university town and adjacent to a very open field, but on the other side of the field are three schools that sit side by side (Elementary, Middle school, and HS)....Thus, I suspect I'm getting 2.4 interference from them, as well as many other aspects of my environment.  We are a very open area, but with the large university (40,000 students), lots of wifi devices and etc.

My main question is the issue related to the screen flickering and if that is an indication more of interference or a link between the drone and RC?  Now that I know to look for the green button, all should be good.  As I stated before, when this happens, I find that immediately increasing altitude cures the problem (regardless of prior height).  

But, there have been a couple occasions where I have taken longer flights and towards the end of the flight (distance out), I notice the flicker on the screen and get the red transmission signal, and wonder if I"m reaching the boundary of my flight.  
2016-10-20
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-10-20 12:22
Yes, we could judge whether RC still links to RC through the LED status on remote, also we could ch ...

So, if one experiences the light on the RC change from green to red, can the two re-link or does it automatically kick into RTH mode?
2016-10-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-20 15:17
So, if one experiences the light on the RC change from green to red, can the two re-link or does i ...

If you lose control link for 3 seconds or more the aircraft will initiate a return to home. During that return to home period the signal will automatically re-establish itself, at which point you could cancel the RTH or manoeuvre it during its return using the RC sticks.
2016-10-20
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90459 ft
United Kingdom

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-20 15:04
So, if your image gets distorted or flickers on your tablet, but your RC stays green, that is NOT a ...

Id like to know the answer to this also.
2016-10-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-20 15:04
So, if your image gets distorted or flickers on your tablet, but your RC stays green, that is NOT a ...

That is correct, only when the control signal is lost will the aircraft initiate an RTH.

But remember before 'control signal lost' you can change what the aircraft will do i.e. RTH, Hover in position, or land. In most cases RTH would be the choice.

2016-10-20
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-20 22:16
Thank you Cetaman for your response.  I have seen that thread you have referred to....An excellent ...

Forgot to attach the pictures....Sorry
IMG_3867 (1).jpg
IMG_3868 (1).jpg
2016-10-20
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-20 04:16
Thank you Cetaman for your response.  I have seen that thread you have referred to....An excellent ...

Aloha Tripper,

You do have a much more powerful extender and my concern, the only one I can think of, is that at the terminus the loss of signal could be abrupt.  Geebax knows more about that but it is all that I can think of.

I think that your use of clues of signal loss is the proper strategy.  All your descriptions indicate a pending loss of signal if your Phantom continues on.  I to have done the delicate backtrack!  The most important option that you have though is the increase in altitude.  That is a tried and true method to get improved signal.  Good to see you use it when needed.

You seem to be on top of it and have figured out how to handle the flicker - come home!  Remember the old adage, "let the subject be the authority."

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-21
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

Thanks Aardvark and Cetaman for your responses.  I've done quite a bit of "testing" as of late, and there seems to be lots of general interference in my area (University town).  Regardless, I have found that by increasing altitude, or in many cases, just stopping the drone for a 5-10 seconds, all corrects itself.  I've also found that abrupt changes in direction will also cause a very brief video transmission issue.  

Learning slowly but surely.....

Cetaman- Just as an fyi, with my extender, I can get 2,000-2,500 ft of additional range distance over the slip on extenders.
2016-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules