Osmo+ here's what I've learned so far
1750 7 2016-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

I'd love to hear from others on this topic - Please chime in. I received my Osmo+ a few days ago (actually earlier than I thought - it took about 3 weeks total). I'm running it on a iPhone 6, and so far, I'm quite happy. I'm learning to do the 'Groucho' walk, and cut the bobbing. I've no tripod for it, and it needs one - I'll figure that out soon, as I need to put it down as well as shoot from a stationary spot. Needs something like feet or a stand. Any ideas? And hey - no lens cap? What's up with that?

The noise level at anything over 800 is pretty rough - gets unuseable beyond that. I'm shooting at 30th, 30 frames / second / automatic (which seems to do a better job than I can, and I'm a pro photographer! Focus was a YUGE worry, but needlessly, as the unit switches and follows focus just fine. I can tap to move focus, but often the Osmo is ahead of me, if a bit slow to focus.
Zoom might be used occasionally, but generally, the wide end of the lens is where it's at. And zooming DURING filming is pretty rough - the controls require a smaller thumb than I have. Maybe meant for Trump's hands... I'd love to have a control on the handle for that, though I'm guessing the unit will be pretty stationary when zoomed in. The zoom isn't speed variable.

The thumb control to tilt and pan could use an 'ease and out' setting. Too abrupt to use during filming.

Slow motion is really nice - it's 100 fps, and a great way to put someone to sleep on a long clip! Beautiful. Of course, there's no audio when shooting slow, not a surprise. Audio with the included external mic ain't bad - for the A camera it'd be better to use something else probably.

I hate that every time I turn it on, I have to reconnect via wifi on my iPhone - not the end of the world but it's not immediate. Maybe when I'm away from my home the iPhone won't switch back to my home wifi, that'd speed things up.

For really dark situations (the 'first dance of a wedding' or such), I'm thinking that light is critical. Maybe even a headlamp! Got to work that out a bit...

Stills are pretty damn nice - I'd love a bigger chip (especially for stills), but then, I'm cheap, and the price on the Osmo+ is really incredible for what it is. No problems - yet.

Anyone else?

2016-10-20
Use props
Ey1990
lvl.2
Hong Kong

agreed with the speed variable suggestion!!
for the dark situations.. i think they offer the manfrotto  LED light..saw it in the dji store..might be helpful..
2016-10-20
Use props
dichrodave
lvl.3
United States

Holding down the front trigger and moving the pan button up and down will give you zoom controls. In the manual it explains this and it will also explain how to adjust the controls for smoother panning.
2016-10-20
Use props
Alberto Pasian
lvl.2

Italy

800 seems quite low as max usable ISO. Do you manage to use the Osmo indoors, with normal artificial lighting?
2016-10-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for sharing your input, I've relayed your feedback.
2016-10-20
Use props
80 - 90% of what we use the Osmo+ for is with natural outdoor light, however we have found that when shooting indoors sticking with "auto" mode seems to produce the best results. If the scene is really dark we have a LED light that provides an ample amount of light within a limited area.

I have to say, given the sensor size this unit produces some fantastic video, in fact we often carry our very expensive Panasonic camera along on every shoot, but it is never taken out of its case.

We have a 9-day shoot coming up in Jamaica and will only travel with the Osmo, in fact I am getting ready to purchase another one as a back-up unit.

Video production has come a long ways since the days of shooting with a humongous Ikegami with a 5-pound brick and having a Sony 110 on the shoulder!
2016-10-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

For light you won't do any better than lume cubes, they are really powerful and very small.
2016-10-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Here's a good link for low light shooting

2016-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now