Included SD card (Lexar 633x sufficient for all applications?)
1581 6 2016-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stuartbiesheuve
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144570 ft
South Africa

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked somewhere but i'm struggling to find the answer.

How capable is the Lexar 633x 16 gb microSD that I believe comes with the P4?
Can this included memory card handle eveything the P4 can throw at it right up to the max 4k video recording?

I know there are much better/faster memory cards available, but i'm specifically asking about this one since it is included?
I have a couple of the Lexar 633x 32GB microSD versions, and basically want to know if they will be able to handle everything the P4 can throw at them (as i dont particularly want to go out and spend more money on memory cards if I dont have to)

Thanks,
2016-10-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Flying with the Phantom 3 Pro' here. Recording in 4K video, 16mb don't go very far.
I bought a 64gb micro sd card and never have to be concerned about running out of video memory space, even with four intelligent flight batteries.
I only use the 16gb card as a backup card, and for updating firmware. It's more than adequate for that.
Though we are Not sure there will be many new updates forthcoming now, with the Phantom 4 and Mavic already being released, but time will tell.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-21
Use props
stuartbiesheuve
lvl.2
South Africa

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-21 10:50
Flying with the Phantom 3 Pro' here. Recording in 4K video, 16mb don't go very far.
I bought a 64gb  ...

Okay cool, I completely understand that 16GB wont go very far at all.

What i'm basically wanting to know is if that included memory card can in fact handle everything the P4 can throw at it.
I have the same Lexar 633x memory cards but in higher capacities, so just wondering if indeed with the Lexar 633x can handle everything fine/reliably up to the highest recording quality, since i don't want to unnecessarily buy more memory cards
2016-10-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

stuartbiesheuve Posted at 2016-10-21 03:04

What i'm basically wanting ...

Yeas. DJI wouldn't include an sd card that wasn't up to snuff... It will work just fine.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-21
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

stuartbiesheuve Posted at 2016-10-21 17:04

What i'm basically wanting ...

The Lexar card included is more than capable of handling anything needed.
Buying a faster, more expensive card won't do much for you.
The speed bottleneck is the Phantom itself.
As long as you have a card that meets spec you're good to go.
Supported SD Card Types   Micro SD - Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required.
So many people get dazzled by the (not always true) idea that bigger, faster, more expensive = better
Sometimes good enough is good enough

The bigger 64 GB cards are very popular but not necessarily a good idea.
If you record start to finish in 4K video you'll use up about 12 GB per battery.
If you value your images or video, sending them up again and again is a risk you don't want to take.
Using several 16Gb cards and swapping them out each flight makes much more sense.
2016-10-21
Use props
stuartbiesheuve
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Okay awesome, perfect. Thanks so much for the replies.
That is the exact information i was looking to hear

2016-10-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Although it's true, trouble can happen to anyone, but I have a turmoil free drone here, and have never had a "situation".
So I'm confident in my choice, of buying a 64gb sd card, was a good option. Thinking positive.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules