Charging with a powerbank
8983 14 2016-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eno
lvl.1
Flight distance : 449774 ft
Norway

I know there is a converter for using the batteries as a powerbank, but is there any way to charge the Mavic batteries with a powerbank? Any plans for introducing a cable that would allow this? I´m gonna travel for a month+ and i probably wont have access to an power outlet other than at night, would be nice to just keep the batteries charging in my backpack while i travel.

Edit: Found a similar thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-67101-1-1.html
2016-10-21
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

This has been asked for all the other recent DJI drones. Although this drone is the most likely to get it, I don't see this happening for two reasons... One is, that DJI wants to sell more batteries... The other is that the Mavic battery is rated for 43.6Wh and before we go any further, time for a quick explanation for anyone following.

mAh vs. Wh???

There is a big difference between a 5000mAh power bank and a 3830mAh Mavic battery which means the Mavic actually stores almost the same amount of power. The difference is the voltage.

For example; a 5000mAh (milliamp hours) power bank will generally operate at 5V (volts) which means the power it holds is 25Wh (watt hours) (5000mAh = 5Ah, 5V x 5Ah = 25Wh).

With the Inspire one, the batteries are rated at either 99.99Wh or 129.96Wh (depends on the battery) so this means your 5000mAh power pack could charge one of them to, at best, about 25% assuming perfect efficiency. For reference, the Inspire 1 TB47 batteries are 22.2V and 4500mAh, but at first guess it might look like a 5000mAh power bank could charge one!

With the Phantom 4, the batteries are rated at 81.3Wh so you'd get about 30%...

And with the Mavic, rated at 43.6Wh, you'd get just over half a charge.

The misconception

The problem for many people (and I'm not saying you're amongst them) is they think in terms of mAh and that a 10,000mAh power bank would easily charge a 3830mAh Mavic battery twice. Well, if it were the same voltage, that would be true. As it is, a 10,000mAh power bank will store 50Wh but that's with perfect efficiency, voltage converters (to go from the 5V output on the power bank to the 11.4V on the Mavic) would lose some of that power... The best you could hope for is a single charge of one of them.

The conclusion...

So, in conclusion, I appeal to manufacturers and users to stop mentioning and talking about the milliamp hours (mAh) because it's not useful for comparing different systems and different batteries, use watt hours (Wh) instead!
Here ends my rant, I hope that it's informative to you and others.

Given the size, cost, weight, etc. of power banks, wouldn't it just be better to buy one more Mavic battery?
2016-10-21
Use props
Eldonbkh
lvl.4
United States

Just think about it your using a battery to charge another battery. And these batteries already are compact and packed with lots of juice for it size. Just buy an extra battery or a few.
2016-10-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

There may be some portable powerbanks out there with an AC input but how much are they and it may only charge one battery. Your best bet is to purchase the amount of batteries you think you'll need for the day.
And if your going on a week excursion in the woods with no power, than a small generator will do.
I've had a few Honda EU2000i generators before and they are awesome and very light and quiet.
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i
2016-10-21
Use props
erneststrauss3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29406 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-22 01:23
There may be some portable powerbanks out there with an AC input but how much are they and it may on ...

Will that Generator fit in my carryon? Then,again, I bet Homeland Security will get upset about that gasoline can since they throw away large tubes of toothpaste. Guess I''ll go with the extra battery.
2016-10-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

erneststrauss3@ Posted at 2016-10-22 05:00
Will that Generator fit in my carryon? Then,again, I bet Homeland Security will get upset about th ...

You said you were going traveling, didn't know it was air travel.
Anyways, at how low the Mavic batteries cost compared to the Phantom batteries I'd just buy a bunch of them and carry them in your carry-on.
2016-10-21
Use props
Airwater
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1517057 ft
United Kingdom

It's true, the price of the Mavic batteries is very reasonable considering the overall cost of the drone...about 8%. Think of it like this, $85 dollars extra makes your able to use your $1000 drone twice as much. Then it's a bargain I guess.
2016-10-22
Use props
Eno
lvl.1
Flight distance : 449774 ft
Norway

Thanks for the replies, I see the issue with the voltage, but I already have a 26000 mAh powerbank that I´m bringing so it could maybe give my an extra charge or two. I will buy extra batteries, but I´m leaving mid november and not sure if I´ll get a hold of them in time.  I´ll have to check my local brick and mortar stores or when im abroad.
2016-10-22
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Malaysia

Well, I have several 11.1v 3S Lipo 2200mAh and I'm thinking to use this battery to charge Mavic Pro battery. I think I could use the DJI Mavic Pro car charger and use the Lipo battery as power source to charge the battery. As for normal powerbank, the 5v output might be too low and you need a DC to DC boost converter. Note this will affect your total amperage output. Still I would recommend minimum 2 units of Mavic Pro battery. At least you can fly with another battery while charging.
2016-10-22
Use props
fmskellham
lvl.2
United States

There is a car charger already out there I thought. Use that.
2016-10-23
Use props
Dronez
lvl.3
Flight distance : 61135 ft
United States

fmskellham Posted at 2016-10-23 20:59
There is a car charger already out there I thought. Use that.

That's what I plan on doing..
2016-10-23
Use props
sjbirdpromo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117116 ft
Canada

Eno Posted at 2016-10-22 20:53
Thanks for the replies, I see the issue with the voltage, but I already have a 26000 mAh powerbank t ...

... and you will be using that power bank to charge controller and phone
2016-10-23
Use props
fanse5ff87eb
New

United Kingdom

Hterag Posted at 2016-10-21 07:34
This has been asked for all the other recent DJI drones. Although this drone is the most likely to get it, I don't see this happening for two reasons... One is, that DJI wants to sell more batteries... The other is that the Mavic battery is rated for 43.6Wh and before we go any further, time for a quick explanation for anyone following.

mAh vs. Wh???

Hi there I was reading your explanation of how power banks would not work to charge the mavic pro battery.

I would like to ask if the product in the photo would work to charge the battery and how many charges do you think you would get? I'm from the U.K so the socket shape is correct for me.

Thanks in advance

Adam
2017-7-24
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

fanse5ff87eb Posted at 2017-7-24 16:06
Hi there I was reading your explanation of how power banks would not work to charge the mavic pro battery.

I would like to ask if the product in the photo would work to charge the battery and how many charges do you think you would get? I'm from the U.K so the socket shape is correct for me.

Hi Adam,

Sorry, but which photo do you mean? Do you mean the product mentioned earlier in the thread?
2017-7-25
Use props
Ataman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48963 ft
Canada

Here is what I did! 7 Charges for under $250  
2017-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules