Bad companies (No FPV)
123Next >
5252 106 2016-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

I have a phantom 2 vision plus and can't get FPV.  I have read a lot of tips online and learned that many, many, many people are having the same problem with this model.  At first I tried to buy the wifi transmission module.  Almost all of the people finally agree that this is the problem.  No place had it in stock.  I emailed DJI.  They said that they needed to diagnose the problem.  I know, I know.... how about the thousands of other people who have the same problem?  It is the wifi transmission module.  Can you sell me one?  No, we don't have them.  Well how are you going to replace mine?  Seems like a lie, right?  So I called the north American number to talk to someone about this.  They say send it in. I say how much to fix this problem... we don't know, it has to be diagnosed... again, what about the thousands of other people with the same exact problem... what was that diagnosis and how much did it cost to fix it?  It was the wifi module he said... So I asked, do you have them?  Yes we have them.  Will you sell me one? No I can not.

So, I have to send my phantom in to them, they say it will cost less than two hundred dollars, but not exactly how much, and they won't sell me a part to replace a part that is obviously suffering from a manufacture defect.  They have taken this part off the market, the only way to get one is off of Ebay from someone who has scavenged the part from a working phantom.  I have been told by staff of DJI that they have the modules and that they do not have the modules... meanwhile I have to fly blind and guess what I'm filming.

A good company hears about a manufacturer defect in their product, you send it in, and they send you a new one. They do not discontinue support for the product that has a manufacturer defect.  DJI is a bad company, and they will go the route of bad companies sooner or later.  I will not buy any new DJI products because when they go out of business I will have no support for those products, much like I have no support for the product of theirs that I currently have... and they aren't even out of business yet.

I look forward to anybody from DJI stepping up and making good on their defective product... but I doubt it will happen.  I hope there is a class action lawsuit for me to join someday.

2016-10-21
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Your first post and you're whining already?  

Yes, the P2V+ is a discontinued model yet there still seems to be an abundance of places where you can still buy parts.  The two that I have are still flying fine (but don't get much use sine I got a P3P) and I've never had a problem getting stuff.  Good grief, you apparently haven't looked very hard have you?  Bookmark this link to PhantomHelp.

DJI will repair it but don't expect they to do it for free when it is obviously out of warranty

2016-10-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry you are having difficulties. If you do not want to send it to DJI for repair. You can find a repair shop closest to you and they can repair it.
Here's where you can find a dealer to repair it:
http://www.dji.com/service/repair/centersAlso, call the hobby shops near you or google DJI in your area.
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

gil Posted at 2016-10-21 15:14

Yes, the P2V+ is a discontinued model yet there still ...

I came here to whine in public right in front of the people I'm whining about.  I have looked very hard for the wifi transmission module.  Why should I have to look hard for it when the company that sells it is still operational?
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-21 15:45
I'm sorry you are having difficulties. If you do not want to send it to DJI for repair. You can find ...

If you are sorry I'm having difficulties then kindly sell me a wifi transmission module.  I feel confident that I can remove three plugs, a screw and some double sided tape.  
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

gil Posted at 2016-10-21 15:14

Yes, the P2V+ is a discontinued model yet there still ...

And by the way, the link shows that the wifi module is available from amazon for $430.00 plus $34.00 for shipping and also from Ebay for $986.00, but they are no longer available from Ebay.  
2016-10-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-22 05:06
If you are sorry I'm having difficulties then kindly sell me a wifi transmission module.  I feel c ...

Did you contact the dealer repair center from the link I gave you.
If you do want to send the aircraft in, then please contact the other dealers and purchase one from them.
Drone Nerds in Florida, Also Innovative UAS in Arizona.
I'm sure there's many out there that have it.
At least if you send it into DJI, the shipping is free and the labor will be minimal.
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-21 16:15
Did you contact the dealer repair center from the link I gave you.
If you do want to send the airc ...

Drone nerds have the part on backorder, and UAS has it out of stock.  The parts are available from people on Ebay who buy drones and then scavenge the parts out of them.  
2016-10-21
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"A good company hears about a manufacturer defect in their product, you send it in, and they send you a new one. They do not discontinue support for the product that has a manufacturer defect.  DJI is a bad company, and they will go the route of bad companies sooner or later.  I will not buy any new DJI products because when they go out of business I will have no support for those products, much like I have no support for the product of theirs that I currently have... and they aren't even out of business yet."

Clearly DJI have not discontinued support.
They have offered to fix it for a reasonable price.
I love the comedy of this non-logic of the rest of this.
It makes perfect sense to you but absolutely no sense to anyone else.
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-21 16:26
"A good company hears about a manufacturer defect in their product, you send it in, and they send yo ...

How is it clear?  Find a button on the DJI site that you can push for Phantom 2 support.  When did they offer to fix my phantom for a reasonable price?  They told me to ship it in and they would let me know how much it would cost.  If I wanted I could pay, if I didn't they would ship it back.  No reasonable price was ever quoted.

DJI will not sell me the part to fix my phantom and they will not make good on what is obviously a widespread manufacturer defect.  

2016-10-21
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-21 16:59
I came here to whine in public right in front of the people I'm whining about.  I have looked very ...

I get the frustration
but it is not unusual for many parts and sub parts to be not offered for resale by all types of manufacturers.

try buying certain car components.... cant
the same holds for most .
the common most used most replaced ,  are easy to find and buy
those parts not so common or replaced as much get harder to find...

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-10-21
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-21 17:43
How is it clear?  Find a button on the DJI site that you can push for Phantom 2 support.  When did ...

that because you didn't sent it for a quote,

hard to quote a price sight unseen!
2016-10-21
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-21 17:43
How is it clear?  Find a button on the DJI site that you can push for Phantom 2 support.  When did ...

actually he is simply being honest and straight forward.

unfortunately since he is not agreeing with your silliness he must be a corn- hole then to you.
he is not that at all , someone else maybe is acting that way but not him

they offered to fix
you wont let them quote $
so therefore THEY are bad company.....

what a world you live in
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-10-21 16:51
that because you didn't sent it for a quote,

hard to quote a price sight unseen!

Right... I'm sure that I'm the first person to have this problem... oh yeah...  tons of people are having the same problem....   I asked for a quote to replace the module and they wouldn't give one.  That seems evasive.
2016-10-21
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-22 08:43

How is it clear?
Well for a start you said ... "So, I have to send my phantom in to them, they say it will cost less than two hundred dollars, but not exactly how much"
That's pretty clear.

the rest of your rant comes across as pure comedy.
You have an obsolete product that the maker will fix but you don't want them to.
Somehow in your mind you make the leap to seeing this as evidence that they will go out of business and that's justification for not buying any much more advanced product they have made since the drone stone age P2V+ you are hanging on to.

And you feel that somehow this all proves that DJI is a bad company?
It just proves that companies have to deal with some bad customers.
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-10-21 16:50
I get the frustration
but it is not unusual for many parts and sub parts to be not offered for re ...

Right... less than three years old, discontinued, no parts available.... perfectly reasonable.... NOT!!!
2016-10-21
Use props
mrobinett
lvl.1

United States

Contact Hani UAV in Minneapolis MN at https://www.uavrepairshop.com as he has parts to fix DJI Phantom drones and should have what you need hopefully, good work and reasonably price work as he fixed my Phantom 2+ issues I had from when it was brand new
2016-10-21
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-22 08:59
Right... less than three years old, discontinued, no parts available.... perfectly reasonable....  ...
No parts available?
But they can fit one for you ... if you let them.
Otherwise there's the secondary market.
But apart from the parts that are available, there are no parts available.

That's the pace of change in modern hitech electronics.
They are disposable and of little value because the more recent models are so much better.
Your P2V+ was good in its day but today it's primitive junk in the drone world.
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-21 16:59
How is it clear?
Well for a start you said ... "So, I have to send my phantom in to them, they say ...

They would not give me a number for replacing the wifi transmission module.  I had to say "how much did it cost to repair other drones with similar symptoms" and then I sat on hold for 15 minutes while he found out if he could tell me that number.  He could not, he could only say less than 200, probably.  There was no mention about the waiting.  From what I've read, that would be about six to eight weeks.  

My obsolete product is less than 5 years old and it cost 1200 bucks new. That in itself is a kick in the groin.  That it never worked properly is merely an insult next to that.  FPV made all the way through maybe 3 in ten flights. Now it doesn't even come up.  So I've put up with something that never performed as advertised, but was still super cool.  

What I take as evidence is all of the threads in all of the forums where people are talking about the same manufacturer defect in the wifi transmission module.  I came here to whine about it, right on their doorstep, and I have to put up with a sphincter like you telling me I don't know a bad company.

This thread doesn't prove they are a bad company, but if you want you can check them out with the Better Business Bureau where they have racked up quite a few complaints.  That proves they are a bad company.  I am not a bad customer.  I contacted them and was brushed off.  The only thing they offered was to send it in on my own dime and pay for the repair... one they would not disclose the cost of in spite of knowing from experience what the problem was.

So, are you an employee of the company here to make me look like a jerk, or are you the jerk?
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-21 17:05
No parts available?
But they can fit one for you ... if you let them.
Otherwise there's the secondar ...

If there are no parts available how will they get parts to fix my drone?  I realize that they want me to buy another drone, and I will... something from yuneec, or another company that isn't so attractive to dung beetles.
2016-10-21
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-22 09:38
If there are no parts available how will they get parts to fix my drone?  I realize that they want ...

Something from Yuneec !!
Stop it, you're making me laugh again.
The simple truth is that no other company has yet made a ready-to-fly drone half as good as DJI.
You wouldn't believe how much better the Lightbridge models are than your P2V+.

But to address the situation you find yourself in, the best advice is in post #17 above.
Contact Hani and he'll get things sorted out for you for a reasonable price.
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-10-21 16:55
actually he is simply being honest and straight forward.

unfortunately since he is not agreeing ...

Since the symptoms are so widespread and so common, the diagnosis would be simple.  To suggest that they don't know what is needed to fix a problem as prevalent as this one is silliness.  I never said they were corn holes.  You seem like one, but they were very nice.  They just won't sell me a part they have to fix my problem.  I am not the problem, I am a customer I bought their product and it had a defective component. Rather than own up to that and stand behind the product they sold they produced another model and left those who bought this one alone and pissed.  That is the world I live it.  
2016-10-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-22 09:34
They would not give me a number for replacing the wifi transmission module.  I had to say "how muc ...

'This thread doesn't prove they are a bad company, but if you want you can check them out with the Better Business Bureau where they have racked up quite a few complaints. '

Yes, from people like you. A number of members here have given you alternatives to get your aircraft fixed, but you choose to ignore them and rant on. Who's the bung-hole here?
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-21 17:46
Something from Yuneec !!
Stop it, you're making me laugh again.
The simple truth is that no other  ...

I don't need help fixing my phantom.  I'm going to buy a crashed one off Ebay and scavenge the parts.  It will cost me a couple hundred dollars and I'll get motors and esc's, batteries, props, controller, maybe even a case.  I'll be fine.  This is a cheap practice model for me.  I don't want to wreck a good one learning to fly.  It was my intention to get an inspire with an x5 camera and an osmo to do my stuff.  Now I'm not so sure.  It isn't the product it's the company.  That is the point of this particular thread.  It is listed in the phantom 2 section where all the other people who are being asked to buy another DJI product are hanging.  I know they would rather I buy the P3 rather than fix mine. That doesn't bother me.  What bothers me is how they are forcing me to do that.  I don't like being forced to do anything.  I'll just go to another company that doesn't operate that way.  I will not support such a place with my money.  I started this thread to make others think about that.  Do you want to support a company that behaves this way?  There really are some outstanding non DJI drones out there.  Maybe if enough people go to the competitors DJI will assume a more responsible stance. If not they will go out of business.  I'm not psychic, it is just how the world works.  

2016-10-21
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-21 16:14
And by the way, the link shows that the wifi module is available from amazon for $430.00 plus $34. ...

And you do not want to get it repaired by the factory for less than half that price??    Why???
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-10-21 18:51
And you do not want to get it repaired by the factory for less than half that price??    Why???

I don't know what price it will be fixed at by these people.  I asked and they wouldn't say.  I do know that I can get a crashed P2V+ for between 200 and 300 bucks on Ebay.  As long as I make sure the part I need was working when it crashed I can scavenge it out and have all the other bits as a bonus... again.... I can fix my model.  It is three plugs, a screw, and some double sided tape.  I don't need to incur shipping or pay a repair person, wait eight weeks...  I just need the part, and they won't sell it.  They must have it if they will swap it out for me... at an undisclosed price, but they won't sell it to me. AND it is a part that is defective from the manufacturer... as is evidenced by the sheer bulk of the same complaint.  The least they could do is provide replacement parts cheaply, and they won't provide them at all.  That is a crap company in action.
2016-10-21
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-22 10:37
I don't need help fixing my phantom.  I'm going to buy a crashed one off Ebay and scavenge the par ...

There really are some outstanding non DJI drones out there.  Maybe if enough people go to the competitors DJI will assume a more responsible stance. If not they will go out of business.

At the moment DJI has about 70-80% of the market in ready to fly camera drones.
And that's simply because their product is so much better than anything else on the market.
The others are still producing things that are back in the P2V+ era, no-one else has anything like Lightbridge and now DJI have brought out their own next-generation system in the Mavic.
Good luck finding "some outstanding non DJI drones out there" because they just don't exist.
And that's why buyers aren't going to abandon DJI and they aren't going out of business any day soon.
Unlike some of the wannabee companies that tried like 3DR which has exited the business and Gopro which is going to have a very hard time making sales of their machine.

Drone tech is moving so fast that the P2V+ is like a Model T Ford in the car world or a Nokia 5110 phone.
Good in their day but made obsolete by later machines.
Really the P2 series is so old tech that investing further in it is probably a case of good money after bad.
But if that's what you want to do, good luck to you.

And to answer one of your earlier questions ...
No I'm not a DJI employee.
If I was I'd have to be polite to a crap "customer" like you.
And I'm not trying to make you look like an ass .. you are doing a very good job of that yourself.
You've been given very good advice that you've ignored completely to continue tilting at your own personal windmills.

2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-21 19:01
There really are some outstanding non DJI drones out there.  Maybe if enough people go to the compe ...

DJI is suing yuneec over something or other... another sign of a crap company.  DJI has the market because they were the first.  They do have a great product.  All they have to do is behave responsibly and stand behind it and the people who first stood behind them.

I disagree about the other drones out there. The typhoon H looks very good for the money, and the pad is built into the controller, you don't have to use your phone, which is handy, in case you want to... like, call someone with it.  The Karma by GoPro looks very good and also the DR solo.  Plenty of competition, all they have to do is not take a dump on their customers by bailing out of a model every six months and then calling something 3 years old "obsolete"
2016-10-21
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-22 11:07
DJI is suing yuneec over something or other... another sign of a crap company.  DJI has the market ...

You're really showing how little you know about drones.
3DR's Solo was so good that the company has now gone bust and left the market.
Go to a Yuneec forum and see all the complaints about their efforts too.
The Karma looks like it will probably repeat Solo's performance.
Enjoy your fantasies - there's no need to let reality get in your way.
2016-10-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-22 11:07
DJI is suing yuneec over something or other... another sign of a crap company.  DJI has the market ...

'I disagree about the other drones out there. The typhoon H looks very good for the money, and the pad is built into the controller, you don't have to use your phone, which is handy, in case you want to... like, call someone with it.  The Karma by GoPro looks very good and also the DR solo. '

If you believe that, then you have not done your research at all. The 3DR Solo is dead, this alone shows how little you know.
2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-21 19:19
'I disagree about the other drones out there. The typhoon H looks very good for the money, and the ...

3 DR Solo....They look alive

According to this they are a aerial videographer's dream... and that is digital trends, not them talking.
2016-10-21
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-22 11:30
3 DR Solo....They look alive

According to this they are a aerial videographer's dream... and tha ...

Reality calling ... 3DR and their Solo is dead
They fooled a lot of people by over-promising and under delivering but it couldn't last.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryan ... erson/#28b638c94840
3DR over-promised things they were unable to deliver.
Their GPS was full of problems and their gimbal didn't work.
They used old-fashioned wifi for control.
The Solo was a dinosaur before it was released and 3DR made a mess of everything to do with it.

2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-21 19:46
Reality calling ... 3DR and their Solo is dead
They fooled a lot of people by over-promising and un ...

I see that you are correct. That company is out of business.  I think they handled the problems with their drone wrong... from a business standpoint.  What they should have done is forgot about the problems with the 3dr and made a 4dr then 4dr vision, then a 4dr vision plus... then a 5dr, a 6dr.... then when guys like me called with problems with the 3dr they should have said "that's obsolete... go blow yourself... you need to buy the 6dr... its the best drone from the best company.
2016-10-21
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-21 17:14
And by the way, the link shows that the wifi module is available from amazon for $430.00 plus $34. ...

Yet DJI gave you a quote of "less than two hundred dollars" and you're still engaged in a flame war with the other members of the forum.  

By all means, do everybody a favor and buy a quad from a different company, maybe they will have a forum that is more tolerant of convoluted logic.

2016-10-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I am unpleasantly surprised by the language and attitude of some of the participants in this thread.
I understand the frustration and dismay of the OP, but the name calling and outright insults are rather derogatory, and against forum policy.
Perhaps some of you with such harsh tempers should give yourself a short timeout, before you get shown the one way swinging exit door perminently.

If plumfreeordie isn't interested in getting the troubled drone repaired, it can still be a lovely shelf display. Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-10-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

plumbfreeordie@ Posted at 2016-10-22 13:14
I see that you are correct. That company is out of business.  I think they handled the problems wi ...

'What they should have done is forgot about the problems with the 3dr and made a 4dr then 4dr vision, then a 4dr vision plus... then a 5dr, a 6dr....'

3DR is the name of the company, 3D Robotics, not a model of aircraft.
2016-10-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-22 16:19
I am unpleasantly surprised by the language and attitude of some of the participants in this thread. ...

'I am unpleasantly surprised by the language and attitude of some of the participants in this thread. '

The guy lead with his chin, he got pretty much what he dished out. And he was given several good pieces of help, which he chose to ignore.
2016-10-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-22 00:23
'I am unpleasantly surprised by the language and attitude of some of the participants in this threa ...

Yes, agreed. I'm Not faulting you.
Just find it hard to believe that someone would post a negative thread, be offered help, from several folks, and yet still belittle the company, and insult the guys offering assistance. Amazingly depressing.
Hope he can find a better drone brand, that provides all the extra repair parts, awesome support and forum regulars who will bend over backwards to help a total stranger.

Best wishes and all the good luck. . .

RedHotPoker

2016-10-21
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-22 00:19
I am unpleasantly surprised by the language and attitude of some of the participants in this thread. ...

I agree.  I was perfectly civil and polite until certain people here called me names.  If you like I can go through the posts and list the names I have been called and the insults that have been aimed at me... but I don't want to make this post about how other people are rude.  I have a 1200 dollar product three years old that the manufacturer no longer supports and that has been called "obsolete garbage" by the people you are talking about.  

After I found out that DJI was not going to stand behind their product I made other arrangements to fix my drone.  I did not come here for advice on how to fix it.  I came here, specifically, to complain.
2016-10-22
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

LOL You actually started the name calling in post 10 and again in post 19.
DJI and a few others on here have given you all the advise you need to get your Vision Plus repaired, but you now say you don't want them to fix it and have made other arrangements, so what's with all the spam of the other threads and continued moaning ?
Admittedly my Vision Plus had its feelings hurt by being called stone age technology, as it still performs perfectly, and unlike you its man enough to accept things and move on.   
2016-10-22
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules