Phantom 4 vs Mavic Camera
2486 15 2016-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

All the comparison videos I've seen on YouTube (seen 5 so far) all showing Phantom 4 camera as being superior to Mavic video wise.  The Phantom 4 is always has a clearer sharper picture . . . almost seems like the Mavic is slightly out of focus constantly . . . . what a shame . . .  
2016-10-21
Use props
danieleforyou
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154820 ft
Iceland

First youtube videos were posted by people not aware of the new focus settings. Mavic Camera is not fix focus. You need to tap on the screen of your phone in order to set the correct focus. In addition, Phantom 4 camera applies a stronger sharpening to the footage. You could obtain the same in post with the Mavic.
2016-10-21
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

The P4 is a fixed focus lens.  With the new firmware, that came out today.  You now the option to turn on Focus Peaking and Manual focus.  For those that are familiar to them it will be a great benefit.  For those that are used to a fixed focus camera then you can set it to infinity and be done.   
2016-10-21
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

WHOA WHOA WHOA... Focus peaking?  On what...  the Mavic???!!!!
2016-10-21
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Canada

danieleforyou Posted at 2016-10-21 13:47
First youtube videos were posted by people not aware of the new focus settings. Mavic Camera is not  ...

. . . . but I can't find a single "in focus" video, so nobody knows how to focus? and what you are suggesting is there is no Auto Focus on the Mavic, even though every other drone out there can auto focus?  

Its a little worrisome to think I could go out and do a spectacular shoot, only to get home and freak out because all my footage is out of focus because I forgot to "tap" the screen to focus . . . seems counter-intuitive, especially if looking at your phone it would be hard to tell its slightly out of focus while your are outside manning an aircraft with sunlight on your screen  . . .

PLUS, if you are changing altitude, you would be constantly tapping the screen every second to re-focus . . . sounds nuts
2016-10-21
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Canada

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-21 13:53
The P4 is a fixed focus lens.  With the new firmware, that came out today.  You now the option to tu ...

thank goodness that sounds better . . . will now proceed with my pre-order, lol.  Thank you for your response
2016-10-21
Use props
tV1fr835Dcq3
lvl.2

United States

Acidsnow Posted at 2016-10-22 01:59
. . . . but I can't find a single "in focus" video, so nobody knows how to focus? and what you ar ...

Hmmm there are a ton of in-focus videos on YouTube in 4k. If you're still having trouble finding them, let me know. I can link you to some. Watch some of the more in-depth reviews.
2016-10-21
Use props
gckless
lvl.2

United States

Dang, focus peaking? Interested to see how that works on these. Glad they enabled the fixed focus, I couldn't see them not after the debacle with the initial reviewers.
2016-10-21
Use props
StevenFL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1009301 ft
United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-21 13:53
The P4 is a fixed focus lens.  With the new firmware, that came out today.  You now the option to tu ...

Awesome!  I love Focus Peaking on my mirrorless camera!
2016-10-21
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Let's hope it works LIKE A MIRRORLESS.  Hopefully like a minute in on video.  Hopefully it is bright and fast to react to pulling focus.
2016-10-21
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-22 01:55
WHOA WHOA WHOA... Focus peaking?  On what...  the Mavic???!!!!

Yes.  I updated today and the Mavic has focus peaking and manual focus.  
2016-10-21
Use props
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Focus peaking is handy to have for stills, but i never used it on my A7sii for videos.
2016-10-21
Use props
Butterpuff 6
lvl.1

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-22 01:53

I hope y'all are going to release some specific information on how to use all of the focus features. The current manual doesn't say anything about how to focus.  Also, some information on the focusing characteristic of the camera needs to be detailed.  What is the closest object that will be in focus when focus is set to infinity?  What are the depth-of-field characteristics at different focus points?
2016-10-22
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Acidsnow Posted at 2016-10-22 04:59
. . . . but I can't find a single "in focus" video, so nobody knows how to focus? and what you ar ...

" what you are suggesting is there is no Auto Focus on the Mavic, even though every other drone out there can auto focus?  "

Perhaps you could name one?
I doubt it because they are all fixed focus cameras .. ie they have no ability to focus at all unless you get up to the level of the X5 on an Inspire or bigger and more expensive drones..
2016-10-22
Use props
Mpampis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276476 ft
Germany

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-21 19:53

Great news indeed!
2016-10-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-22 13:10
" what you are suggesting is there is no Auto Focus on the Mavic, even though every other drone out ...

There is tap focus, do this mean that camera will be in auto focus, and you can tap a specific point in the shot to focus on this,?
2016-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules