Fails to Return to Home
2936 20 2015-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Smithypn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 596079 ft
United Kingdom

Recently the Return to Home on my Vision + has failed to work. IT does not rise to 20m and sets off to the right and at a right angle to direction it should be going to return to home. It has been calibrated correctly at the start of the flight (Green GPS lights). Home lock when activated works fine.  Is ambient temperature an issue? It is winter flying with temperatures not far above freezing, around 4 degC.  Dynamic Home point is off.
2015-2-3
Use props
swomilan.email
lvl.4

Mexico

How did you activate RTH?
How long did you wait after activating RTH?
What did it do when you activated RTH?
2015-2-3
Use props
Smithypn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply.
Used the RTH switch. IT stayed at same height, which was below 20m then it began to fly right 90deg to the direction it should have been doing. Have used RTH before with no issues.
2015-2-3
Use props
swomilan.email
lvl.4

Mexico

Did you have enough Sats locked onto when you activated RTH ?  
What did the flight indication LEDs show?
RTH won't work if you don't have 6+  Sats and it will drift in the wind since it'll go into Atti mode until it autolands.
Just throwing out a guess here
2015-2-3
Use props
Smithypn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks, that is a thought. The lights did change to flashing green to yellow when in flight but I did try it from a different location and got green lights but still the same problem. Will try again tomorrow and pay more attention to sat numbers.
2015-2-3
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

Lately there has been increased solar activity >Kp 5 witch likely can interfere sat-lock.
untitled.png
2015-2-3
Use props
Smithypn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

swomilan.email Posted at 2015-2-3 23:21
Did you have enough Sats locked onto when you activated RTH ?  
What did the flight indication LEDs  ...

Tried it again today. 7 to 8 Sats indicated. Still would not enter RTH but it was flying in attitude. When I did switch off the controller it entered fail safe and returned to home and landed. Looks like the problem is with the switching to the bottom position for RTH. The switch still works for calibration. Could this possibly indicate a design fault?  Excessive use for calibration can make the switch faulty?
2015-2-4
Use props
marc.aronowitz.
lvl.2

United States

Did you confirm S1 is set for RTH in the lowest position?
2015-2-4
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i think marc is right, you have a drop down box in the assistant that sets what the s1bottom functions as.  double check that as it is likely your problem since the rth part on the craft side of the equation is working properly.  if your switch reads good in calibration i dont think you have a physical defect here.
2015-2-4
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-4 20:46
i think marc is right, you have a drop down box in the assistant that sets what the s1bottom functio ...

I think he has the bottom position set to atti also and not failsafe.
2015-2-4
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

It should be noted that when I took the controller apart...the switches are of extremely low quality! Not much anyone can do about it, but a $1300 quadcopter is relying on these switches. I've actually broken more than one of them.

A good upgrade for those who are handy would be better switches.
2015-2-4
Use props
Smithypn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-4 20:46
i think marc is right, you have a drop down box in the assistant that sets what the s1bottom functio ...

Thanks, will retry but instructions are not all that clear.
2015-2-4
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

Smithypn Posted at 2015-2-4 22:57
Thanks, will retry but instructions are not all that clear.

Very simple,  connect with the Phantom assistant, go to the ---> Basic  ---> RC Tab,  on the bottom you should see the control mode switch bar with the right side having a pull down menu where you can change between Atti,  Failsafe and Manual and just change it to Failsafe.  Toggle your S1 control mode switch through all 3 positions to confirm its function.
2015-2-4
Use props
Smithypn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

swomilan.hotmai Posted at 2015-2-5 00:10
Very simple,  connect with the Phantom assistant, go to the ---> Basic  ---> RC Tab,  on the botto ...

Thanks, that is what I thought it would be and will try tomorrow. The graphics and instructions do lack clarity and are somewhat confusing. Why 5 sections on the bar and the non working slider beneath? Have Flying assessment next week - need to get it all right.
2015-2-4
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

Smithypn Posted at 2015-2-5 01:01
Thanks, that is what I thought it would be and will try tomorrow. The graphics and instructions do ...

The slider will move in accordance with your S1 switch position and the in-between Failsafe positions are for abnormal condition failsafe e.g. loss of radio signal.
2015-2-4
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-2-4 21:11
It should be noted that when I took the controller apart...the switches are of extremely low quality ...

I agree. I have tested my switches in the PT2 app and found that on some occasions the S2 switch has failed to recognise the move from CL to Off.

Its a pity that DJI have resorted to a "Nickel and Dime" attitude to critical components.

Can you recommend a source of better quality switches? I would like to change mine.

Thanks.
2015-2-5
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2015-2-5 16:54
I agree. I have tested my switches in the PT2 app and found that on some occasions the S2 switch h ...

I'd have to pawn that question off to some of the more experienced electronic folks here...
These, I think, are the ones that are in there:
http://www.salecom.com/en/catego ... Switches_T80-T.html

They are as good as any in terms of what's around for mass production - but I have to assume some companies address the higher quality stuff for mil-spec, etc.
2015-2-5
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-2-6 03:36
I'd have to pawn that question off to some of the more experienced electronic folks here...
These, ...

Thanks Mate.

Cheers
2015-2-5
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-2-4 21:11
It should be noted that when I took the controller apart...the switches are of extremely low quality ...

{:2_36:}  Shocking......
2015-2-5
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Smithypn Posted at 2015-2-5 01:01
Thanks, that is what I thought it would be and will try tomorrow. The graphics and instructions do ...

"Why 5 sections on the bar"

The internals of the Phantom 2 are the NAZA-M V2 flight controller.

This can be purchased as a product from DJI and installed in your own (non Phantom) aircraft with your own radio transmitter and receiver.

The 5 sections on the bar are a 5 different control positions that can be used on this particular radio channel to communicate to the NAZA-M flight Controller. You can mix switches from your third party Transmitter and set their resistance values to fall on those positions on the bar and activate control functions.

So you could as an example have GPS ATTI, ATTI, Failsafe and Manual available on that channel. 4 functions rather than 3. Some people swap out their standard transmitter with a Futaba 8 channel set (compatible with the receiver already in the phantom) and program the 4 functions.

With a standard transmitter and the PT2 assistant software you can safely ignore those additional control positions.

The PT2 software is a cut down version of the NAZA-M Assistant software and displays these control positions.

Do not attempt to use the NAZA-M Assistant Software on your Phantom.

Cheers

2015-2-6
Use props
Smithypn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks all. Problem now resolved and I am now a bit wiser. All part of the learning curve I guess for someone new to this game.
2015-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules