[Idea] Unlimited Flight Distance
1175 7 2016-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft

So i'm 100 % sure Engineers had a thought about this, but now that  LTE  is getting pretty Standard worldwide for phones, why not make a Drone and a Remote Controller that both uses a SIM-Card to communicate wich each other? This would provide an unlimited flight distance, since both parties would have an Internet connection and a P2P Server to use.
(And since LTE can go up to 250 Mbit/s, Bandwidth would be sufficient.)

Of course the Batteries won't allow that until we get hours worth of battery lifetime, but i always thought that would be so awesome

2016-10-22
Use props
ashley.sizer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 569836 ft

Take a look at Andruav for android. it works pretty well and uses  3DR flight controllers and a telemetry module to communicate vai x2 android phones. Its fine for mission updates on things like RC planes but FPV on a quad? I think the lag would be to much.
2016-10-22
Use props
Mpampis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276476 ft
Germany

It's a good idea but in order to have unlimited flight distance you have to have unlimited battery life too.... In my opinion it's better to have 2x much battery life than to have 2x distance flight.
2016-10-22
Use props
nole4life80
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298737 ft
United States

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/re ... celerate-wide-scale
2016-10-24
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

Only problem is if the cell signal switches towers it may not always communicate.  Plus most laws anywhere are line of sight to your drone.
2016-10-24
Use props
ctonyperry
lvl.2

United States

With the range on the Mavic, the battery is going to be the limiting factor.
2016-10-24
Use props
AusAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425049 ft
Australia

If you want long range FPV, look at powered gliders with UHF TX. There's guys going out to 40km plus.
2016-10-24
Use props
disguy2k
lvl.1

Australia

Do you really want to put the trust of your expensive aircraft in the hands of your mobile phone carrier? I know I wouldn't.

The additional practical concerns with this are due to taking up channels across multiple cell towers.
2016-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules