Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal cover for protection in flight?
26169 16 2016-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xyo0Fdvs4VSx
New

United States

I've seen a number of pictures and video of the Mavic both with and without the gimbal cover in place.Is the cover helpful for protecting the camera in flight without noticeably affecting the video quality?
Does it protect the camera and gimbal assembly well enough to be a good idea to use in flight in general even if it reduces imaging quality?

2016-10-22
Use props
Mpampis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276476 ft
Germany

The gimbal cover is only for protection when you carry the Mavic is for use when you fly the drone. Before the last update some people had overheating issues because they had the cover on....
2016-10-22
Use props
Morgon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104393 ft
United States

Mpampis Posted at 2016-10-22 18:39
The gimbal cover is only for protection when you carry the Mavic is for use when you fly the drone.  ...

I'm pretty sure the overheating issues were from people who left the gimbal *lock* on, not the cover ('bubble'). According to the Mavic documentation, they are two separate pieces.

As far as using the bubble in flight, it's probably a good idea if the purpose of your flight is sport mode and don't care as much about image quality; it does produce some haziness and increased glare.
2016-10-22
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.2

United States

I had a thought about getting an extra bubble and modifying it, leaving the protection intact except for the area directly in front and below the lens. Here is my "expert" rendition of what it would be like. Any concerns with it? My thought is that it would protect against impacts to the gimbal arm and camera, unless an object happening to be small enough to enter the bubble opening.

droney.jpg
2016-10-22
Use props
Butterpuff 6
lvl.1

Mpampis Posted at 2016-10-23 06:39
The gimbal cover is only for protection when you carry the Mavic is for use when you fly the drone.  ...

It's also for protection when in flight but it degrades your video, so you want to remove it if you are recording anything that you care about the quality of. But you can certainly leave it on if you want to.
2016-10-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Yes you can use it while flying and get decent video (not facing the sun)
But if you want real clarity than I'd take it off.
If you are playing around with a buddy doing some mellow FPV racing then I would leave it on.
2016-10-22
Use props
scubari
lvl.1
Flight distance : 734511 ft
Finland

Butterpuff 6 Posted at 2016-10-23 06:27
It's also for protection when in flight but it degrades your video, so you want to remove it if yo ...

Great idea !
2016-10-22
Use props
xyo0Fdvs4VSx
New

United States

Sgt_Throatpunch Posted at 2016-10-23 09:32
I had a thought about getting an extra bubble and modifying it, leaving the protection intact except ...

Seems like a good idea for protection of the assembly. I have not received my Mavic yet so I am not sure how susceptible it is to impacts besides head on.
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

xyo0Fdvs4VSx Posted at 2016-10-25 08:39
Seems like a good idea for protection of the assembly. I have not received my Mavic yet so I am no ...

And hopefully you never will.
I've seen video with the dome cover on and it's not bad at all (unless pointing into the sun). But if you want the best footage you can get then fly without the cover.
If your new to multirotors, I would leave it on until you are 100% confident in all aspects of flying your Mavic.
2016-10-24
Use props
Butterpuff 6
lvl.1

Mpampis Posted at 2016-10-23 06:39

DJI says the cover is also for protection in flight. I'll go with what they say since they built the Mavic and the gimbal cover.
2016-11-12
Use props
Rustydog
lvl.1
United States

Old thread I know;
With the gimbal cover on the intake is blocked and the Mavic does get noticeably hotter. I'm not convinced leaving it on is a good idea. Maybe if the cover has some slots in it on the bottom to allow some airflow. It just doesn't seem logical to block the air intake for the cooling system.
2017-4-27
Use props
H82Bpor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27733 ft
United States

Morgon Posted at 2016-10-22 16:25
I'm pretty sure the overheating issues were from people who left the gimbal *lock* on, not the cover ('bubble'). According to the Mavic documentation, they are two separate pieces.

As far as using the bubble in flight, it's probably a good idea if the purpose of your flight is sport mode and don't care as much about image quality; it does produce some haziness and increased glare.

I believe the air intake is blocked from that cover
2017-6-12
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

H82Bpor Posted at 2017-6-12 07:52
I believe the air intake is blocked from that cover

There have been some serious studies done on another Mavic-based board and it's been pretty much proven that leaving the bubble on does not raise the heat in the body of the Mavic.

It is totally up to the pilot but if I'm not shooting a video that matters too much, my cover stays on.

Gimbal clamp HAS to be removed prior to powering up the MP.
2017-6-12
Use props
H82Bpor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27733 ft
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-6-12 08:06
There have been some serious studies done on another Mavic-based board and it's been pretty much proven that leaving the bubble on does not raise the heat in the body of the Mavic.

It is totally up to the pilot but if I'm not shooting a video that matters too much, my cover stays on.

I am a new pilot and Im not concerned with vid quality so I will use the cover as long as the air intake is OK..
2017-6-12
Use props
CharlieFliesDro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36148 ft
United States

The cover is for transport I left it on to see what it would do Both times Picture/video quality very poor
2017-6-12
Use props
fans79a9d393
lvl.1
United States

Sgt_Throatpunch Posted at 2016-10-22 17:32
I had a thought about getting an extra bubble and modifying it, leaving the protection intact except for the area directly in front and below the lens. Here is my "expert" rendition of what it would be like. Any concerns with it? My thought is that it would protect against impacts to the gimbal arm and camera, unless an object happening to be small enough to enter the bubble opening.

You can purchase one of these that would basically be like what you have pictured:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-6-12
Use props
DOM_SWOOZ
lvl.1
United States

Helpful thread, for a new magic owner like me.. I’ve been seeing gimbal guard with the opening in the front, has anyone used one and could recommend a brand?
2017-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules