Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Has anyone gone from a Phantom 2 to the Inspire 1 ??
1685 9 2015-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnkelly66.com
lvl.1

United States

Currently I have a DJI Phantom 2, Vision  plus.  I have been thinking about going to the Inspire 1 so I wanted to see if anyone else has started with the Phantom and gone to the Inspire.  If so, was it worth it?  What are the advantages of going to the Inspire?  Is it worth the cost of change?  What are the differences that make the nearly double cost worth the change?  Just wanted to get the thoughts of Inspire owners to see if I should make the change or just stay with the Phantom 2.  

Thanks in advance for any advice Inspire 1 owners have for me.
2015-2-3
Use props
chris.w.love.gm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1406854 ft
United States

Yes, I have owned a Phantom 1, Phantom 2, and currently have a P2 Vision Plus, in addition to my Inspire 1. I have only gotten in two days of flying on the I1, but I love it! It's a very different experience overall, but here are some of the key advantages of the I1 that I like:

- bigger, more powerful, faster, more stable in the air, smoother
- 4K video with manual control of ISO, shutter speed, and frame rate. No fisheye. ND filter included.
- second controller can control camera movements (mine is backordered, but I think it will add a whole new dimension to the video)
- HD video downlink compatible with Lightbridge for live HD broadcasts (check out the one on Good Morning America's website from this morning.)

There are lots of small touches in the app and included equipment that are great too, but overall the Inspire 1 just seems to bridge the gap between the consumer level P2 Vision and the pro level S1000. I like it because I feel I can make professional looking film with a product that has everything included in the package.

Cost justification is up to the individual. For me, I think I will be able to take on larger more demanding filmmaking challenges having both products available to me. It totally depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps!

-Chris
2015-2-3
Use props
art
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170758 ft
  • >>>
United States

I started with a Phantom 1 with no gimbal. Then progressed to Phantom2 with gimbal and Hero3. I also bought a Phantom2 Vision+ because the live video to the app was important, although the camera was a step down.

As Chris said, the Inspire1 is the whole package with a big step up in video quality and features.

No regrets.
2015-2-3
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

I currently have a phantom 2 v+ and an inspire. I can't honestly say that I like the inspire more. Reasons why? The phantom is cheaper and more reliable. In my case it flies easier on gps, it hovers in 1 place so you spend less time looking to the sky and more time filming.

The inspire is beautiful, it's like comparing a ford to a ferarri. You know it's got potential, but it takes a bit of getting used to. The 4k videos without fisheye are amazing! But honestly, I've flown heigher and further with my phantom simply because of the small bugs with the inspire. If you already have the phantom with perhaps a gopro 4 I don't think u need the upgrade right now. Just wait until the reliability status of the inspire improves.

Just my 2 cts
2015-2-3
Use props
johnkelly66.com
lvl.1

United States

chris.w.love.gm Posted at 2015-2-4 04:07
Yes, I have owned a Phantom 1, Phantom 2, and currently have a P2 Vision Plus, in addition to my Ins ...

WOW, that video from GMA was fantastic.  Seems like the Inspire had a greater range (distance) ability than my P2V+.  Thanks for the information and the tip for the video on GMA to watch, well worth watching.  
2015-2-3
Use props
Playful Monster
lvl.2

United States

xzces Posted at 2015-2-4 07:18
I currently have a phantom 2 v+ and an inspire. I can't honestly say that I like the inspire more. R ...

I agree this thing is like a sports car. The down side is it costs like a sports car. But drives like it has bad tires. You can feel and see the power and performance. But if you try to unleash it your going to be upside down in the ditch and out a lot of money. I would wait till dji is done using us as bate testers (at our own expense)
2015-2-3
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Playful Monster Posted at 2015-2-4 07:43
I agree this thing is like a sports car. The down side is it costs like a sports car. But drives li ...

I completely agree with this. I sometimes do wonder how they did the beta testing. Surely prop and IMU issue's should have surfaced at some time? ATM my inspire is just an expensive toy. I do hope they fix this one and don't just simply release an inspire 2 to fix the problems.
2015-2-6
Use props
rjs21989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858701 ft
  • >>>
United States

Started with the f550, moved to the s800 EVO, added the phantom v2+, then bought the inspire1
2015-2-6
Use props
johnmont250.ema
lvl.3

United States

I have both the I1, and the p2, ( the p2 is up for sale). the p2 still has its uses though.  you might want to wait to get the new style lock props for the inspire though.
2015-2-6
Use props
comptonr
lvl.1

United States

I have both the Vision 2+ and the Inspire.  I'm sure others on the forum have more flight time on these two UAV's than myself.   Lately I spend most of my time on collective pitch hell's.  They're both nice products in my opinion and each has advantages as well as disadvantages.  Regarding flight characteristics, the Inspire has much more power and is able to hold position much more decisively.  Simply release the cyclic while in forward flight and it's like hitting the brakes on a sports car... immediately stops and holds position; even in a brisk wind, whereas the Phantom my follow course for several feet and will then begin to hold position.  The Inspire is decidedly faster with ALL maneuvers as well.  Having said that, the Phantom is a great flying copter and simply works. I definitely prefer the video from the Inspire.  No more fisheye!  Is the Inspire worth the added cost?... hmm... I'm not sure.  It's definitely a larger and more robust product and feels quality made but given the hiccups we've seen, I often think I should have waited until the 'bugs' were worked out from the software end.  I personally have had zero problems with my Inspire up to this point.  Battery availability is still pretty scarce, not to mention spare part availability which is almost nonexistent.  Also, it takes quite a bit of prep to ready the Inspire for flight when compared to the Phantom considering exiting travel mode, attaching camera, props, prop locks, etc... and then reversing the process for storage.   The Phantom is much quicker to get into the air.  For a beginner pilot, I'd say both could be considered fairly easy to fly as long all the proper pre-flight steps are taken and common sense is used during flight.  If you're looking to upgrade your video experience then hands down, Inspire wins and it flies better as well.  Coolness factor, again a win for the Inspire.  Overall enjoyment - slight edge to the Inspire but I'm not sure it's worth double the cost.  My $.02
2015-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules