Change from Mode 2 to Mode 1 and other flight modes
41994 32 2016-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

I have now read through the manual and note that on Page 31 it states That the Operating Mode can be Mode 1 or Mode 2 or a custom mode and then describes the stick movements for Mode 1 and Mode 2. What is does not do is tell you how to change from Mode 2 to Mode 1. Does anyone know how to change modes?
On Page 58 it lists the following flight modes:

Beginner
GPS Mode
Opti Mode
Atti Mode
Sport Mode

I can only find info on P and S modes and references to Opti and Atti so how would you start in Beginner Mode?

Any help would be appreciated.
2016-10-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Jenee,here is the screenshot for your reference.
You could choose the mode then click apply.
Also the beginner mode need good GPS signal, you cannot take off if the GPS signal is weak.
stick mode.png
2016-10-24
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-24 17:23
A ...

Thanks very much but where do I access this? Is it in the DJI Go app or somewhere else?
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Jenee 2 Posted at 2016-10-25 12:04
Thanks very much but where do I access this? Is it in the DJI Go app or somewhere else?

From "Remote Controller Settings" you would choose "Stick Mode"Also, beginner mode in ON in default, in the "MC settings" is where you can disable it.
2016-10-24
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-25 12:31
From "Remote Controller Settings" you would choose "Stick Mode"Also, beginner mode in ON in default ...

Thanks so much for your help.
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Jenee 2 Posted at 2016-10-25 12:04

Yes,it's in the DJI GO app.
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2016-10-25 13:39
Thanks so much for your help.

No problem at all, have a great week.
2016-10-25
Use props
tV1fr835Dcq3
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-24 17:23
A ...

Just curious, but is this how most fly now? Has it been the default on phantoms to have pitch and yaw on the left stick. I come from the manual mode days and the only production quads I've had operated with pitch and roll on the left and yaw and throttle on right.
2016-10-25
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly in Mode 2 with the throttle/yaw on the left and aileron/elevator on the right.
2016-10-25
Use props
tV1fr835Dcq3
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-25 22:44
I fly in Mode 2 with the throttle/yaw on the left and aileron/elevator on the right.

oops, yeah that's how I fly too. I mixed up the sticks. Obviously doesn't matter as I can set it however I want, I was just curious how others fly these days. Thanks for your input.
2016-10-25
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-25 14:02
Yes,it's in the DJI GO app.

I haven't received my Mavic yet so still can't set this up but one question I have is that does changing from Mode 2 to Mode 1 in the DJI Go app also change the mode in the controller.
If I am unable to attached my phone for any reason and just want to fly the Mavic with the controller, will the controller now be in Mode 1?
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Jenee 2 Posted at 2016-10-29 12:04
I haven't received my Mavic yet so still can't set this up but one question I have is that does ch ...

If you want to change the mode for RC, you need to connect your phone to RC.
2016-10-30
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-30 16:09
If you want to change the mode for RC, you need to connect your phone to RC.

So are you saying that I can only fly in Mode 1 if the phone is connected?
If that is correct, what happens to any Mode 1 flyer if the phone battery goes flat or there is some other issue with the phone and/or DJI Go app. We are suddenly left to try and fly Mode 2?
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Jenee 2 Posted at 2016-10-31 13:42
So are you saying that I can only fly in Mode 1 if the phone is connected?
If that is correct, wha ...

When you change the stick mode by your phone, the RC will save that mode.
And it will not change even if you change another mobile. Unless you change the stick mode again.
2016-10-30
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-31 14:26
When you change the stick mode by your phone, the RC will save that mode.
And it will not change e ...

OK, thank you.
2016-10-31
Use props
fansc3efd683
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16181 ft
France

Hi, As you switch into mode 1, how to remove the return to center of the right stick for throttle and add it to the left fir pitch?
2017-2-9
Use props
fansc3efd683
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16181 ft
France

PS. On Mavic pro remote control, in mode 1, how to switch the return to center from right stick to the left stick?
2017-2-9
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

fansc3efd683 Posted at 2017-2-9 10:13
PS. On Mavic pro remote control, in mode 1, how to switch the return to center from right stick to the left stick?

I am not sure what you are trying to do. Regardless of the mode, both sticks are centred to start with unless you actually move them.
2017-2-9
Use props
jillip
lvl.1
Canada

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-2-9 16:21
I am not sure what you are trying to do. Regardless of the mode, both sticks are centred to start with unless you actually move them.

Thankyou to jenee 2 for starting this thread.  I live in Australia and a lot fly Mode 1. I am graduating from a MJX X101 having got muscle memory for Mode1.   Registered a P3 standard today and of coarse checked the Mode 1 box as I was going thru.
I have seen the you tube clips on changing the gimbles on the controller but they are for the throttle movement the stays the stick where you leave it.  With my controller the throttle (currently on the LHS) goes back into the central position, unless you click it into the 'hold' at the lower position.
I haven't opened the controller yet as I intend to modify with a ARGtek antennae

Any thoughts! Thanks in advance  .
2017-4-9
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

jillip Posted at 2017-4-9 04:33
Thankyou to jenee 2 for starting this thread.  I live in Australia and a lot fly Mode 1. I am graduating from a MJX X101 having got muscle memory for Mode1.   Registered a P3 standard today and of coarse checked the Mode 1 box as I was going thru.
I have seen the you tube clips on changing the gimbles on the controller but they are for the throttle movement the stays the stick where you leave it.  With my controller the throttle (currently on the LHS) goes back into the central position, unless you click it into the 'hold' at the lower position.
I haven't opened the controller yet as I intend to modify with a ARGtek antennae

jillip,

You are a little hard to understand
What I'm interpreting to understand you is --- You want to modify your controller sticks to not be spring
Loaded to return to Center ---- Doing so with the Mavic would be a Disaster waiting to happen Don't Do IT
Why ???? if you did this the sticks will never find or return to there neutral positions causing the Mavic to
DRIFT in all directions --- You Will Crash no matter how good of a pilot you may think you are !!!!!
Why any one would want do this is way beyond me !!!
this is a Drone Not an Airplane Even an RC Airplane has spring loaded neutral centering sticks except for
the Throttle and that's to keep constant power to the motor to stay in the air .
2017-4-9
Use props
jillip
lvl.1
Canada

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-9 05:06
jillip,

You are a little hard to understand

g'day SkunkWerxs and Jenee 2....
let me clarify (a long day yesterday and writing above late in the evening!)

Firstly, I didn't see I was on a Mavic forum although I did mention a P3
Secondly, the P3 controller I have....   has a throttle lock!   This is the first time I have come across this configuration where the throttle goes back the centre position unless you lock it down..... normally it stays in the position you leave it
DJI in the activation procedure allow you the select MODE 1 (which I did)........
I am looking for help in changing the throttle physically from the LEFT side to the RIGHT side.
I would have thought DJI would hove an official tutorial on this subject. A lot of us Downunder and elsewhere use Mode  1

Any help would be a appreciated for me and others!....    thankyou in advance

2017-4-9
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

The pics up above in post 2 are exactly how I changed mine from Mode 2 to Mode (also an Aussie with around 35 years flying mode 1).  Very simple, and yes it's done through the phone software but it programs the controller and the settings stay even if a new phone is used. First hit the three dots top right corner of the phone screen, then hit the controller icon (highlighted blue in the pic in post 2), select the mode you want and hit apply.  I have also done software updates and this too does not change the setting - though after a software update I did go right through all settings again just to be sure of no surprises..!
2017-4-9
Use props
jillip
lvl.1
Canada

g'day SeaComms and others: 35 years ago you would seen a lot of changes! The last couple of years have been dramatic!
The old controller had a short spring ribbon that you moved from one side to the other. You could move the throttle from 0% up to 100% manually and it would stay at any position!   Anyway, the idea was that you needed the throttle at 0% when you started up!    This new controller I have, has a lock at 0% on the LHS [MODE 2]........    Now, what I am after is How to make the RHS have that ability (Lock at 0%] so that the stick will behave as a proper throttle in MODE 1
Surely DJI: who offer MODE 1 , must have information to help move the mechanical action from LEFT to RIGHT
There is one 'slideshow' Video already out there showing a MODE change but I would'nt mind a more detailed presentation!

Looking forward to your reply
2017-4-9
Use props
jillip
lvl.1
Canada

Back again, found this comment attached to the link !   more needed but its a start!

irishboy0909  2 years ago
Quality video, absolutely fantastic! Works a charm.
I have an extra tip for keeping the throttle lock -
I actually first removed the screws from the back of the sticks themselves, then switched the two. I did this so that I would still be able to lock the throttle in the descend position.
However the shell of the transmitter wouldn't fit back on.
In trying to get the shell to fit, I removed a small metal plate from the back of one of the sticks that I couldn't see a use for. I took in off and noticed that the throttle lock had disappeared.

In short, you can unscrew the the metal plate from the left stick and attach it to the right stick. Then you can the throttle lock!

2017-4-9
Use props
jillip
lvl.1
Canada

I should move all this over to the Phantom 3 Standard thread I have created!
2017-4-9
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Singapore

jillip Posted at 2017-4-9 19:34
g'day SeaComms and others: 35 years ago you would seen a lot of changes! The last couple of years have been dramatic!
The old controller had a short spring ribbon that you moved from one side to the other. You could move the throttle from 0% up to 100% manually and it would stay at any position!   Anyway, the idea was that you needed the throttle at 0% when you started up!    This new controller I have, has a lock at 0% on the LHS [MODE 2]........    Now, what I am after is How to make the RHS have that ability (Lock at 0%] so that the stick will behave as a proper throttle in MODE 1
Surely DJI: who offer MODE 1 , must have information to help move the mechanical action from LEFT to RIGHT

Personally, I think having an un-sprung throttle stick makes less sense in a GPS stabilized quad than it does on more manual quads. The throttle stick on these is not really a direct control of the throttle. You can think of it more as "Go up" or "Go down" command stick because, even if you hold the stick all the way down, that doesn't actually put the motors to 0 rpm. Basically, it tells the Mavic "Descend as quickly as you can." The Mavic's flight controller then decides how to apply throttle changes to achieve that safely (taking into account things like a factory-set maximum descent rate). Likewise, when the stick is centered, you're not telling the Mavic "Apply 50% throttle," you're telling it "Remain at this altitude." The flight controller then applies whatever throttle is necessary to maintain altitude in the current conditions.
2017-4-9
Use props
jillip
lvl.1
Canada

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-9 20:00
Personally, I think having an un-sprung throttle stick makes less sense in a GPS stabilized quad than it does on more manual quads. The throttle stick on these is not really a direct control of the throttle. You can think of it more as "Go up" or "Go down" command stick because, even if you hold the stick all the way down, that doesn't actually put the motors to 0 rpm. Basically, it tells the Mavic "Descend as quickly as you can." The Mavic's flight controller then decides how to apply throttle changes to achieve that safely (taking into account things like a factory-set maximum descent rate). Likewise, when the stick is centered, you're not telling the Mavic "Apply 50% throttle," you're telling it "Remain at this altitude." The flight controller then applies whatever throttle is necessary to maintain altitude in the current conditions.

Thankyou Jason, I mistakenly answered this thread earlier but I have a P3s, not a Mavic for which may operate quite differently. I have only flown manual quadcopters/heIis with the throttle stick starting in the locked (or hands off) 0% position!    .... hence my questioning of the inability to move the lock from L to R
I will leave the MAVIC thread and move to the phantom 3 thread !
2017-4-9
Use props
fansdb17f747
lvl.2

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-24 01:23
Also the beginner mode need good GPS signal, you cannot take off if the GPS signal is weak.

I open my DJI GO 4 app but I do not see that menu.

Must I connect the app to the Mavic Air?

Thanks.
2018-8-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansdb17f747 Posted at 2018-8-19 09:18
I open my DJI GO 4 app but I do not see that menu.

Must I connect the app to the Mavic Air?

Hi there, yes, please connect the APP to the RC first.
2018-8-20
Use props
fansb4717f9a
New

South Africa

For some reason I cannot change the stick modes on my new Phantom 4 within the DJI app, I can see the options and mode 1 is selected but I cannot select any other modes. Beginner mode is disabled.
2020-12-23
Use props
fans72728b36
New

United States

Also the beginner mode need good GPS signal, you cannot take off if the GPS signal is weak.[Image]

Hi I found this on Google I’m hoping you can help me.

For the life of me I do not know how to change stick modes.

I see the screen where it has the modes and custom mode but when I try to click off of mode 3 to mode 2 nothing happens I’ve tried to hold my finger over the box forever and nothing happens can someone please tell me how I can get back to mode  2?
2020-12-31
Use props
fans72728b36
New

United States

Also the beginner mode need good GPS signal, you cannot take off if the GPS signal is weak.[Image]

I have the screen open on my iPhone right now, and it stuck on mode three connected to the remote.

I keep pressing mode 2 and nothing happens!!!!
2021-1-1
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

it could be the GPS signal you are facing is too weak?
2021-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules