Mavic Obstacle Avoidance Failure - Video
4122 20 2016-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Y7a2ebIZVfCK
lvl.1

United States

Seems like obstacle avoidance is not very reliable.  A Chiense reviewer was able to crash her Mavic in auto-follow mode.  

YouTube link to crash:

2016-10-24
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

For those who don't want to watch the whole thing, the 'crash' seems to be at 5:42. Phantom owners - Would your Phantom have avoided this? The Mavic seems to dodge the trees in the preceding test, but not so much in this one.
2016-10-24
Use props
npole
lvl.1

Italy

Not only the leafs, that can be explained by the fact that the obstacle wasn't exactly solid.. but the girl did some other crazy thing, too careless (I guess the drone was sent for free for the review) even for a brave pilot... at 5:53 she uses the follow mode while in a car on a public road with not enough height, with trees and poles, the car does a U-turn and the drones goes backward not hitting a light pole for a matter of luck because it doesn't have any sensor on the rear!
2016-10-24
Use props
skyrider420
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-24
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

She even says (boldly) that she can do whatever she wants since she didn't pay for this.  The nerve of some people...

2016-10-24
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

She did hit the tree good thought...  LOL
2016-10-24
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>

T_A_Rogers Posted at 2016-10-25 06:35
She even says (boldly) that she can do whatever she wants since she didn't pay for this.  The nerv ...

Honestly I'd rather have someone like her testing the abilities of it without caring than me finding out that on my own and crashing it. I'm sure there will be others that buy one and will have crashes where the obstacle avoidance didn't work but for now I know to not be near any thin trees with leaves.
2016-10-24
Use props
Y7a2ebIZVfCK
lvl.1

United States

trance728 Posted at 2016-10-25 06:50
Honestly I'd rather have someone like her testing the abilities of it without caring than me findi ...

Exactly!  Someone needs to be a jerk to wash away the Marketing gloss DJI has put on Mavic product launch.

Check out the "SamiLuo" channel on YouTube: they have some fantastic videos of testing Mavic in narrow corridors and trying to do indoor stunts and obstacle avoidance.

My favorite of course is the torture test of Phantom:

2016-10-24
Use props
Y7a2ebIZVfCK
lvl.1

United States

PS: OK I watched through more critical reviews, and found examples of when Obstacle Avoidance fails.  It seems like obstacle avoidance fails to display distance meter against:

• White walls
  • Low contrast environment like mild fog
  • One-dimensionalish objects like poles or wires
  • Lack of pattern: think flat colored obstacles
  • And low light environments.

A lot of first time DJI buyers are going to be in for a shock if they were planning to rely on Mavic's obstacle avoidance.

2016-10-24
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>

Y7a2ebIZVfCK Posted at 2016-10-25 09:02
PS: OK I watched through more critical reviews, and found examples of when Obstacle Avoidance fails ...

Well hopefully they read the manual where it states that, hopefully.
2016-10-24
Use props
AusAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425049 ft
Australia

PS: OK I watched through more critical reviews, and found examples of when Obstacle Avoidance fails ...

There's a very simple solution to this. People should learn how to fly properly rather than relying on technology to stop them from crashing. It isn't intended to prevent a collision in all scenarios, it's a mitigation feature.

People that rely solely on the obstacle avoidance system to prevent a crash shouldn't be flying any form of RC aircraft.
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

The Mavic is truly an incredible aircraft with amazing features and functions, BUT it also has it's limitations and I really hope EVERYONE reads the manual cover to cover a few times so they fully know how the features and functions work, but to also memorize it's limitations.
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

AusAir Posted at 2016-10-25 09:09
There's a very simple solution to this. People should learn how to fly properly rather than relyin ...

I couldn't agree any more.
New users coming into this hobby and the Mavic being their first aircraft is great BUT you just need to fully understand the aircraft first.
People who have been in the hobby for years really appreciate the technology as even a few years ago most of this was not possible in a hobby grade aircraft.
What the DJI aircraft can do it truly amazing, please take the time to learn all that you can about your aircraft.
Please don't open the box, charge it up and take it in your backyard to check out how Sport mode works. Work your way up to it and only use Sports Mode in a large open area.
2016-10-24
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Y7a2ebIZVfCK Posted at 2016-10-25 12:02

And pink shirts

And its good that the SamiLuo pushes the Mavics Limits and not caring.
2016-10-24
Use props
Y7a2ebIZVfCK
lvl.1

United States

Here are 4 screenshots when Obstacle avoidance doesn't show distance meter.  Second screenshot shows couple of situations when distance meter actually works.

2016-10-25
Use props
still waiting..
lvl.2
United States

Y7a2ebIZVfCK Posted at 2016-10-24 21:02

The list is not surprising to anyone who works on image recognition. That's expected for quick algorithms. An ultrasound distance meter pointing forward would help, just like that one at the bottom. They cost less than $1 in bulk orders...
2016-10-25
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Looks like pure luck the Mavic didn't hit that light pole at 6:00 while backing up in auto-track mode (no reverse sensors).
2016-10-25
Use props
Juan01
lvl.2

Spain

Y7a2ebIZVfCK Posted at 2016-10-24 17:02
PS: OK I watched through more critical reviews, and found examples of when Obstacle Avoidance fails.  It seems like obstacle avoidance fails to display distance meter against:

How does it compare to other brands? (same price).
Do they share the same problem?

2018-5-30
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Juan01 Posted at 2018-5-30 10:58
How does it compare to other brands? (same price).
Do they share the same problem?

This is a very old thread but we can not talk about brands here, as DJI is practically self-reliant on the drone market when we talk about GPS drones with camera and gimbals in this caliber. So yet nothing to compare it with.
2018-5-30
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

While the Mavic Pro is king, it's not yet quite like Skydio. Soon maybe with an upcoming firmware release? LOL.
2018-5-30
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

trance728 Posted at 2016-10-24 14:50
Honestly I'd rather have someone like her testing the abilities of it without caring than me finding out that on my own and crashing it. I'm sure there will be others that buy one and will have crashes where the obstacle avoidance didn't work but for now I know to not be near any thin trees with leaves.

I think these agility maneuvers aren't designed for drones with the Mavic Pro composition. After someone first handles a Mavic Pro and adequately tests its capabilities, it should be intuitive what are the limitations, not exploratory. I think most who have a Mavic Pro are sophisticated enough not to overestimate what it can't under-deliver.
2018-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules