Terrain Follow
2320 7 2016-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chris50
lvl.2

United States

When using terrain follow mode, do you have to be flying forwards?

Would it  be possible to fly sideways next to a car as it drives uphill, and use the terrain follow to control the altitude?

It seems like if the drone is at too steep an angle, the VPS system wouldn't be able to properly track the ground.
2016-10-25
Use props
still waiting..
lvl.2
United States

My guess it's always better to fly forward as onboard obstacle avoidance cameras point forward. Terrain follow most likely uses bottom sensors. So it should work in any direction as long as there are no tall objects like trees, buildings, poles, etc...
2016-10-25
Use props
chris50
lvl.2

United States

still waiting.. Posted at 2016-10-25 23:37
My guess it's always better to fly forward as onboard obstacle avoidance cameras point forward. Terr ...

That's the idea, I will be making sure it doesn't hit anything around it, I would just love for it to automatically follow the road (this specific road I have in mind has a steep 7% grade).

I guess it all depends on how well the VPS sensors perform when not pointing straight at the ground.  This question may be a bit above all our heads, we need an engineer!
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

chris50 Posted at 2016-10-26 00:02
That's the idea, I will be making sure it doesn't hit anything around it, I would just love for it ...

Terrain follow will follow uphill going forward, not sure about sideways.
2016-10-25
Use props
Oy3a9CweQbxd
lvl.1

Austria

does the terrain follow just follow uphill or downhill as well. If downhill is not working I again bought the wrong drone. This modi is essential for mountainbiking!

The best would be, if the terrain modus is part of the active track modus.
2016-11-4
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Oy3a9CweQbxd Posted at 2016-11-4 17:21
does the terrain follow just follow uphill or downhill as well. If downhill is not working I again b ...

It's not really terrain following, more like terrain avoidance.

Going uphill it will rise to avoid the ground, but going downhill there is nothing to avoid.
2016-11-4
Use props
Oy3a9CweQbxd
lvl.1

Austria

hope you are not right. the dji Videos where somebody is walking uphill does give the impression that it is an terrain following mode and not a terrain avoidance.
2016-11-7
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Oy3a9CweQbxd Posted at 2016-11-7 12:10
hope you are not right. the dji Videos where somebody is walking uphill does give the impression tha ...

New manual out today.  Page 22 describes Terrain Follow mode - will NOT follow downhill.
2016-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules