Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Gary UNY Posted at 2016-11-4 07:29
Evening, Ken.

We've covered this a bit before, and agreed it's best to fly in the open.  But, it' ...

That's great you are getting the Syma to learn on, trust me you will be very happy you did. There's a good chance you will make a mistake and it could be costly with the Mavic
I would not go flying between dense trees in the forest. I'm sure your signal will be fine for a decent distance but I highly advise against you doing any of that kind of flying until you have a few months under your belt.
And also, make to to set your RTH to hover. Then if you do lose signal you can just walk towards it a little ways then you will regain signal.
2016-11-3
Use props
Gary UNY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178776 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-3 21:01
That's great you are getting the Syma to learn on, trust me you will be very happy you did. There' ...

Thanks, Ken.  As always, I appreciate your feedback.

And, key recommendation re setting RTH to hover mode!  Thanks.  Even if flying over abandoned logging roads through the woods were to be successful, if RTH ever did kick in, it's highly unlikely that it would be where it's clear directly overhead.

As for the Syma, and boning up on videos, reviews, feedback, tutorials, and the manual, I really am dedicated to doing this the right way.  It's my first R/C, let alone quad, so I want to make sure it's the best ... and safest ... experience I can make it.

Thanks, again, for your help.
2016-11-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Gary UNY Posted at 2016-11-4 10:33
Thanks, Ken.  As always, I appreciate your feedback.

And, key recommendation re setting RTH to ho ...

I'm really impressed that you are putting such dedication into learning all that you can so your prepped for the Mavic.
I really wish every user would do the same, it really makes your drone flying more enjoyable when you are experienced and know all the features, functions and especially the limitations of your aircraft.Make sure you post your after first flight
2016-11-3
Use props
Gary UNY
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-3 22:40
I'm really impressed that you are putting such dedication into learning all that you can so your pr ...

Hah!  Thanks for your comment.  But, well, this might be the most prep I've put into anything ... isn't it interesting the wisdom age brings!  ;-)

Seriously, though, I am keenly aware of both the joys and the challenges.  I know you (or was it KevinElliott) advised to not watch too many drone crash videos, and I haven't, but the ones I've seen are a great motivator!

And, yes, I will post my first flight video.  The other thing I've been doing during my prep is contemplating where that first flight should be!
2016-11-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Gary UNY Posted at 2016-11-4 10:50
Hah!  Thanks for your comment.  But, well, this might be the most prep I've put into anything ...  ...

I wasn't me who posted not to watch too much so it mist have been Kevin.
And I'll make a suggestion and make you first flight in the middle of a boring park with nothing but green grass all around
After several times there learning the craft, then venture out to those incredible locations.
And please don't make the first flight in your living room, like you've probably already seen the multiple crashes from new users trying that.
And also have the front of the aircraft facing away from you on takeoff and landing for a while.
And only try nose landings after you've perfected your flying skills.
2016-11-3
Use props
Gary UNY
lvl.3
United States

Hah!  Yup.  I should have been more specific that I have been pondering my first SCENIC flight!  I already have a 4-acre field of all mowed grass just down the road picked out for my training flights.  But, once I've "got my sea legs," no doubt I'll come up with an appropriate notable first flight!

As for my living room, I don't see me ever doing that, even if I become an ace at this!  I'm not even going to fly my Syma trainer in my living room.  I'd hate to see this turn into a Saturday Night Live skit.

And LOL!  A most excellent suggestion regarding keeping the craft's nose pointed away from me.  Otherwise, yet another potential Saturday Night Live skit!

But, as for the nose landings ...  So, I guess I should land by driving the front of the craft into the ground, a nose dive as it were?!  ;-)  But, seriously, I'm not sure what you mean by nose landing.  I haven't gotten to that yet in the manual, if that's in there.
2016-11-5
Use props
Gary UNY
lvl.3
United States

Afternoon, Ken.

On Friday, I received my Syma X5SW, and last evening I tried it out.  Which has generated 2 thoughts:

1) I'm damn glad I got this to "cut my teeth on."  It's very clear now how operator errors can come so easily.  There is a skill that needs to be developed in flying a quad.  The Syma is a tough bird, which is good, as while I haven't yet flown it higher than ~6', I have crashed it a few times.  Which, yes, I would hate to do with the Mavic.  My training has been mostly trying to hover at a consistent height and in a consistent place, which feels like very much the right exercise to start to "become one with the drone."  And, when I have maneuvered it around, it's been within only a few feet radius.  This really  is very good training in preparation for the Mavic.

The one pisser about the Syma is that it has about a 5-minute flight time.  (I did order a six-pack of extra batteries, which helps.)

2) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me that the Mavic will be easier to fly!  It's understood that a $50 drone is not going to have the precision controls that a higher end model will have.  And, the Syma's lack of the same level of precision makes the training more effective.  But, it's certainly no walk in the park even to just hold the Syma in place, as it inevitably drifts around and up and down!

Gary
2016-11-6
Use props
FlyMolo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132723 ft
United States

Anyone else have a false positive when trying to use the "Active Tracking" feature of the Mavic Pro?

I tried to track myself going on a short run this morning, but when I reach the end of the block, it just stops in mid-air and stops following me. I look at my phone and it says that active tracking has been disabled because I'm in a restricted zone. I did disable the Geo System on the app before I took off.

So, I look at DJI's map and I'm not even near any restricted areas. There's a "Warning Zone" nearby, but, according to DJI, I don't need any special authorization to fly in or near those zones.

Any thoughts? Are there different rules for Active Tracking (and other features) as opposed to just "hand-on" flying?

Attached is an image with an arrow showing where I'm flying the Mavic.
2016-12-11
Use props
FlyMolo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132723 ft
United States

Gary UNY Posted at 2016-11-6 11:31
Afternoon, Ken.

On Friday, I received my Syma X5SW, and last evening I tried it out.  Which has generated 2 thoughts:

If you get the hang of the Syma, and actually get it to do what you want, you will do very well with the Mavic. The Mavic is (almost) idiot proof. I mean, if you panic, all you have to do is let go of the sticks and it'll stop in its place. It'll also hover in place, rock steady, even in moderate outdoor wind.
So, yeah, definitely take the Syma up and out as much as you can!
2016-12-12
Use props
Gary UNY
lvl.3
United States

FlyMolo Posted at 2016-12-13 00:47
If you get the hang of the Syma, and actually get it to do what you want, you will do very well with the Mavic. The Mavic is (almost) idiot proof. I mean, if you panic, all you have to do is let go of the sticks and it'll stop in its place. It'll also hover in place, rock steady, even in moderate outdoor wind.
So, yeah, definitely take the Syma up and out as much as you can!

Thanks, FlyMolo.

Yup, I pretty much took the Syma through its paces.  And, oof, there is nothing elegant about it compared to higher end drones!  But, I am absolutely glad I did this, because, as you point out, if I can handle a skateboard, a BMW will be a piece of cake!

An update, though.  on 11/22 I actually bailed on the Mavic I ordered directly from DJI, a month after I placed it.  But, today I received my Phantom 4 Pro+, ordered from Advexure, and received a day earlier than promised.

Haven't yet even taken opened the shipping box ... still pinching myself that I actually have my first ever drone!  But, this evening I will be doing the unpacking with much reverence!

Woo hooooo!
2016-12-13
Use props
Gary UNY
lvl.3
United States

Oh, and in addition to reading the P4P+ manual, I've started boning up for the Part 107 exam, so I can my FAA license!
2016-12-13
Use props
alial
New
Iraq

Hello
I have downloaded the latest update of the Mafic two days ago and now says that the aircraft are prohibited region Note that I used here a year ago and there is no path of flights or airport or prison or anything near my house I hope the solution and a video explanation
2017-2-26
Use props
fans34f32177
New
United States

lakebarry98 Posted at 2016-10-27 19:11
How do you turn the Geo system off? I have a DJI account but couldn't turn it off so that I could fly my Phantom 4 in my backyard. I live 30 miles from Washington DC in Maryland and for some reason I'm in a NFZ?

I would like to know also.  I live in Fort Washington and just purchased a mavic pro and receiving the no fly zone message also.  I'm approximately 15 miles from Reagan National Airport and a small airport in my area that I believe is closed down.
2017-4-19
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-3 17:01
That's great you are getting the Syma to learn on, trust me you will be very happy you did. There's a good chance you will make a mistake and it could be costly with the Mavic
I would not go flying between dense trees in the forest. I'm sure your signal will be fine for a decent distance but I highly advise against you doing any of that kind of flying until you have a few months under your belt.
And also, make to to set your RTH to hover. Then if you do lose signal you can just walk towards it a little ways then you will regain signal.

Hi DJI Ken,

Newbie here, can I change the RTH altitude in beginner mode?
Also while in beginner mode, when RTH set to hover, will it hover on set altitude or on current altitude if I engaged RTH?

Thanks
2017-4-19
Use props
davelaican
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57070 ft
Canada

FlyMolo Posted at 2016-12-11 09:20
Anyone else have a false positive when trying to use the "Active Tracking" feature of the Mavic Pro?

I tried to track myself going on a short run this morning, but when I reach the end of the block, it just stops in mid-air and stops following me. I look at my phone and it says that active tracking has been disabled because I'm in a restricted zone. I did disable the Geo System on the app before I took off.

Any solutions to this issue?  Same thing happened to me.
2017-4-24
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was flying my Mavic Pro this past weekend at the beach and live streaming the video feed on Facebook for 10 minutes when my DJI Go 4 app crashed.  On restart, the RC and Mavic reconnected and the DJI GO 4 app booted up and said my Mavic was in a NFZ zone like it has every time since upgrading the firmware.  It then auto landed in the ocean.  I would be very careful flying until this NFZ issue is resolved. I am beyond disappointed after being so ecstatic when streaming the Mavic's feed on Facebook of the beach and fishing boats.   
2017-4-24
Use props
fans431951e3
New
Australia

Get a drone they said...so I got a mavic pro. 3 weeks later and I love it. I have lots of questions that I'm unable to find answers for though. I have spent some time looking at video log tutorials which has been really helpful. I have customised my RC to make flying as smooth as possible and set distance parameters . Next step to download the videos & photographs I have taken. How can I check how full my SD card is?
2017-6-8
Use props
fans4e236a1f
New
Canada

My mavic indicates i am in a nfz. i authorized for the area around me. when i look at the updated version of DJIgo4 and look at the areas unlocked, it shows nothing. even when i refresh. One part of the programme app is not communicating with another. Why? I cannot take off, with or without the geo turned on or off. What is not going on here? Thanks for help
2017-6-9
Use props
fansd22952ba
lvl.1
United States

Yes,  I got my magic pro and had to send it back. Too many bugs with no quality assurance. Never trust anything that is 100% Chinese
2018-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules