Mavic Pro Unboxing and test flight
2447 10 2016-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ngl1145
lvl.2

United States

First of all, I'm surprised to have received my Mavic Pro a day earlier than expected.  Compared to my Inspire 1, this thing is ultra compact.  I flew it in extremely windy conditions to the point where GPS mode wasn't effective.  GPS mode was too passive in the wind.  I had to put the remote in sport mode to get the Mavic Pro back.  

I made a video of the unboxing and the test flight.  There was a firmware update that I did in the field.  Took about 10-14 minutes to update.  I was cold so it felt like forever.  Overall I love the compact drone.  

2016-10-25
Use props
hX5x70AfdW7R
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144541 ft

Amazing... Thank you for posting. I'll definitely reference this video when I receive mines.
2016-10-25
Use props
Ngl1145
lvl.2

United States

hX5x70AfdW7R Posted at 2016-10-25 22:34
Amazing... Thank you for posting. I'll definitely reference this video when I receive mines.{:4_138: ...

I would like to note that the extra props are located under an additional foam piece that the Mavic Pro sits on top of.  If you noticed in the video, the 2 swing arms did not have props installed.  I literally thought DJI forgot them.  There are 2 additional sets under a foam pad under the drone.  Hope that helps!
2016-10-25
Use props
Handsfreebicycl
lvl.2

I just noticed that at the last part of the footage the image is tilt....why it does that?
2016-10-25
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Handsfreebicycl Posted at 2016-10-26 05:53
I just noticed that at the last part of the footage the image is tilt....why it does that?

All DJI gimbals have a horizon problem to some degree and pretty much all the footage of the Mavic I've seen, the horizon has at some point started to drift horribly.
2016-10-26
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
Flight distance : 354131 ft

Watty2000 Posted at 2016-10-26 02:23
All DJI gimbals have a horizon problem to some degree and pretty much all the footage of the Mavic ...

Horizon issues are due to poor gimbal calibration. This is almost always user error. When powering on the craft, it does an automatic gimbal calibration, and if you're on a slightly unlevel surface, then guess what, it will have horizon issues.

Also, you can trigger a gimbal calibration manually, and you can specify a gimbal adjustment while in the air too.
2016-10-26
Use props
jmoya03-sp
lvl.2

United States

My very first unboxing video. Flight videos coming soon.
2016-10-26
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

Thanks for posting. Just curious, what camera were you recording with (not the drone footage)?
2016-10-26
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-26 10:26
Horizon issues are due to poor gimbal calibration. This is almost always user error. When powering ...

You assume I'm not aware of calibrating or offsetting the gimbal. Horizon issues are not exclusively due to poor calibration. If they were, the horizon would be out of alignment for the duration of the flight. The fact that for most of the OP's video (and almost every other Mavic video I've seen so far), the horizon is perfect then it starts to drift until it's a good 5º out suggests that the horizon drift issue is still alive and well.
2016-10-26
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
Flight distance : 354131 ft

Watty2000 Posted at 2016-10-26 21:59
You assume I'm not aware of calibrating or offsetting the gimbal. Horizon issues are not exclusive ...

I'm not assuming anything. Happy to discuss further if you are well versed on the issue.

It is very easy to adjust horizon during flight, so that's the solution most people should consider, assuming they have done the calibration.

I'm not letting DJI off the hook from fixing legitimate issues relating to the horizon problem, but I do know that most of the videos you see are done by amateurs who don't even read the manual, much less understand the horizon issue or the concepts around the balancing.
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Yet another Mavic unboxing showing the camera completely dislodged from the gimbal lock during transport.  This is a major problem.

2016-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules