Insurance for MAVIC
12Next >
10196 56 2016-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HjM4qzGDMUeQ
lvl.2

What other insurance options except "DJI Care Refresh" you can recommend for Mavic ?

I am explicitly asking about two different options

1. Drone protection
2. Liability insurance

Despite forum mentioned Travelers as an option - I called them and they clearly do not offering anything like that.
2016-10-25
Use props
Zc4nW8WAYWvI
lvl.3

United States

State Farm has drone insurance...  Mine was $36/yr with no deductible and covers everything.

As for liability, check with your home owner's/renter's insurance policy.
2016-10-25
Use props
HjM4qzGDMUeQ
lvl.2

United States

Thank you! Should I ask for "Drone insurance" ? Or it has some other fancy name ? ( Like UAV insurance )
2016-10-25
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

HjM4qzGDMUeQ Posted at 2016-10-25 20:58
Thank you! Should I ask for "Drone insurance" ? Or it has some other fancy name ? ( Like UAV insuran ...

That's what I did...  It was easier than trying to say "quad-copter" or something like that, and the stigma is kinda slipping away.  What state are you in?
2016-10-25
Use props
edwarde21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65535 ft

Zc4nW8WAYWvI Posted at 2016-10-26 11:52
State Farm has drone insurance...  Mine was $36/yr with no deductible and covers everything.

As for ...

that sounds really good what does it cover and I stay in California
2016-10-25
Use props
HjM4qzGDMUeQ
lvl.2

United States

Schwavic Posted at 2016-10-26 00:01
That's what I did...  It was easier than trying to say "quad-copter" or something like that, and t ...

I m I New York. / New York
2016-10-26
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

edwarde21 Posted at 2016-10-25 21:05
that sounds really good what does it cover and I stay in California

Price differs from state to state, but it covers everything...  damage, loss, theft.
2016-10-26
Use props
DarkTangenT
lvl.2
United States

So are you guys saying, buying insurance from companies like statefarm is better than DJI care?
2016-10-26
Use props
jvanderhoff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

DarkTangenT Posted at 2016-10-26 07:00
So are you guys saying, buying insurance from companies like statefarm is better than DJI care?

I don't think anyone has said that but I'm sure it depends on the insurance carrier as to how long and with what effort it would take to receive a reimbursement for damages, loss, etc. I think DJI Care is somewhere around what $100? So it may be the cheaper option.
2016-10-26
Use props
HjM4qzGDMUeQ
lvl.2

United States

I emailed State Farm Agent and got a reply:

Good Morning

I do apoligize this is not something State Farm offers  at this time

If  I can help you  with any other insurance please feel free to let me know

Thank you
Debbie
2016-10-26
Use props
jvanderhoff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

Here is a link to Allstate scheduled personal property insurance which is what you would want if you are an allstate customer.

https://www.allstate.com/home-in ... perty-coverage.aspx
2016-10-26
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

HjM4qzGDMUeQ Posted at 2016-10-26 07:24
I emailed State Farm Agent and got a reply:

Good Morning

They started offering it around July...  Most agents have to check, because they're unaware of it.  Mine got back to me the next day.
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

The Academy of Model Aeronautics membership includes Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets.

$2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
$25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
$10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members

See: http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership/membership/overview.aspx
2016-10-26
Use props
davidb5
New

United States

Hi,
Verifly has launched on-demand drone insurance starting at $10/hour for a $1m liability policy.  I do see that you are based in NY and we haven't received our New York state approvals yet, so that is one of only 5 states that we are not active in but wanted you (and others) to be aware in case it will help meet your needs.

www.verifly.com

Cheers
David
2016-10-26
Use props
pythagoras183
lvl.2

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-26 08:37
The Academy of Model Aeronautics membership includes Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model A ...

Is AMA's insurance policy legit? Has anyone here ever filed a claim with them before?
2016-10-26
Use props
Pekkle
lvl.2

United States

Anyone in California that actually has drone insurance?
2016-10-26
Use props
DarkTangenT
lvl.2
United States

Worth reading

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/ar ... -you-get-insurance-
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

pythagoras183 Posted at 2016-10-26 09:58
Is AMA's insurance policy legit? Has anyone here ever filed a claim with them before?

It's absolutely legit.
2016-10-26
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>

If you're going with AMA just make sure you read what situations they will cover you under because it is a bit restricted.
2016-10-26
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

davidb5 Posted at 2016-10-27 00:56
Hi,
Verifly has launched on-demand drone insurance starting at $10/hour for a $1m liability policy.  ...

WOAH.  That is so expensive, it's ridiculous.  Also, binding coverage instantly?  What state is that legal in?
2016-10-26
Use props
RU-X
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2595 ft
United States

method007 Posted at 2016-10-26 11:26
WOAH.  That is so expensive, it's ridiculous.  Also, binding coverage instantly?  What state is th ...

Is it really that expensive for that amount of coverage? it's a liability insurance policy that covers ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Also, it's on demand...so you're not paying when you're not flying. Do you always have your UAS in the air?
2016-10-26
Use props
davidb5
New

United States

method007 Posted at 2016-10-26 11:26
WOAH.  That is so expensive, it's ridiculous.  Also, binding coverage instantly?  What state is th ...

Live in 45 states - the full list is here:  https://support.verifly.com/kb/a ... s-verifly-available

Most of our customers report significant cost savings with Verifly.
2016-10-26
Use props
NAM
New

https://neary-aerial.com/?ref=2
2016-11-1
Use props
Flyinhi
lvl.2
Canada

I checked with my insurance broker and he looked into coverage. He came back with my insurance company already covers personal use drone for property and liability in my current home owners policy. He was surprised as well and said the only stipulation is that if the drone is damaged or stolen there would be the standard $500 deductible. I'm in Canada and my insurance company is Intact.
2016-11-1
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

Zc4nW8WAYWvI Posted at 2016-10-26 11:52

As for ...

Can you see if there is some sort of policy identifier or something tangible that we can use when talking to an agent?  Even at $50/yr, this is a good deal because it covers loss and water damage which Care Refresh does not.
2016-11-1
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167057 ft
United States

I got State Farm insurance for my drone prior to taking it out and am glad I did with the loss of control issues going on!

Mine is $60/yr with no deductible - Chicago, IL

I like it much more than the DJI Refresh program because it is covered under basically anything (fly away, stolen, crash in water, etc.)
2016-11-1
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167057 ft
United States

davidb5 Posted at 2016-10-26 12:56
Hi,
Verifly has launched on-demand drone insurance starting at $10/hour for a $1m liability policy.  ...

Probably the worst insurance policy I have ever seen. So expensive.
2016-11-1
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

crbalch Posted at 2016-11-1 12:59
Probably the worst insurance policy I have ever seen. So expensive.

It's a high dollar liability coverage...  It's the kind of policy that makes sense for some, but not others.
2016-11-1
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

colonel00 Posted at 2016-11-1 12:50
Can you see if there is some sort of policy identifier or something tangible that we can use when  ...

I don't have a policy identifies, just the basic #'s in an emailed quote from the agent I found.
2016-11-1
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

jvanderhoff Posted at 2016-10-26 22:26
Here is a link to Allstate scheduled personal property insurance which is what you would want if you ...

I'm an Allstate customer for all my policies (home, boat, car) but I'd rather get this little coverage through a different company.. If i have to file a claim for the $999 Mavic, I'd hate it to up my premiums across all the other policies.
2016-11-1
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

Schwavic Posted at 2016-11-2 04:24
It's a high dollar liability coverage...  It's the kind of policy that makes sense for some, but n ...

Perhaps, if you are doing a commercial gig where you fly over a Lamborghini sales lot? Or maybe above sporting events where medical liability could be a concern?
2016-11-1
Use props
tgs3838
lvl.3
Flight distance : 213957 ft
United States

Ill have to check on state farm. Almost seems to good to be true. I bought the DJI refresh. Which im sure works just fine. But its kinda scary it doesnt cover everything. If state farm really does cover them at the prices stated above then it would be a great deal IMO
2016-11-1
Use props
Drseussami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108002 ft

I'm in Colorado and was just quoted $60 per year for a Personal Articles Policy through State Farm with no deductible. This does NOT include any liability coverage, but my homeowner's policy already has that covered elsewhere.
2016-11-1
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

Drseussami Posted at 2016-11-1 16:01
I'm in Colorado and was just quoted $60 per year for a Personal Articles Policy through State Farm w ...

$60 is the minimum for many agents...  You could probably add other items to that policy before the price increases.
2016-11-1
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

To me, the best option is to bet both the insurance and the Care Refresh.  If I understand what Schwavic reported, the insurance from State Farm covers 2 replacements over a three year period, otherwise they cancel your policy.  Please correct me if I'm wrong and please confirm this if anyone else has this coverage now.  

So, with both the insurance and Care Refresh, yes you are out $160 for the first year and $60 each year after that.  However, in that first year, you have the opportunity to have DJI repair or replace your Mavic in the proper situations.  Yes, you have to pay out of pocket for replacements from DJI but it's still not that much for a pricey "toy".  For me, I'd rather save the insurance claims for situations where DJI won't honor the Care Refresh like water damage or loss.

Am I tracking this correctly?
2016-11-1
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

So I finally got in touch with a State Farm agent.  As stated above, the policy is called a Personal Articles Policy.  From initial discussions, I was quoted $60 per year with a $50 deductible.  I'll also be adding a lot of my other DSLR and Gopro equipment to the policy along with some other optics and firearms.  One concern I do have is tying too much together on one policy.  I'd just hate to have issues with the Mavic and need to file a couple claims and have that void coverage on all of my other gear.
2016-11-14
Use props
Andy101
lvl.2

United States

colonel00 Posted at 2016-11-14 15:46
So I finally got in touch with a State Farm agent.  As stated above, the policy is called a Personal ...

Thanks for sharing your experience ! Do you have a house/car insurance policy with State Farm ?
2016-11-15
Use props
Spiderpig
lvl.2

United States

For those going to State Farm, do you need to already be an existing customer with them?  Can that policy also cover computers as well?  Seems like with all the camera and drone gear, it might be really good to have.
2016-11-15
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

No, I am not a State Farm customer for any other policies.  Oh, coverage for the Mavic fell under the Eligible Property Not Listed Below
Personal articles.PNG
2016-11-15
Use props
fans54d87608
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48940 ft
United States

I have the State Farm policy as well...  as others have said, it's a Personal Articles Policy with coverage for "all perils."  That means it covers everything...  fly away, crash, stolen, lost, etc.  Mine is $50/year with no deductible and covers the full amount of the drone ($999).  This is a better option than the DJI plan, because (1) it's cheaper; (2) it covers everything; and (3) it's through a reputable U.S. insurance company.  Not sure if you need to be an existing State Farm policy holder, but I have S.F. for my H.O.  

Regarding the policy going up if you submit a claim, I doubt it.  $1k is nothing to an insurance company.  I had a $9k claim for my roof and my insurance hasn't gone up a dime.  
2016-11-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules