Mavic Winter Flying
3029 5 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sierahotel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 430823 ft
Canada

The tech specs indicate that the operating temperautres are between 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C).

Since I will be receiving mine in the next few weeks, and flying in winter temperatures for the next 6 monsth, I'd like
to see some reports on cold weathr flying. Any problems that people are having.
I think it should work fine in Optimal winter which is -2° C. As the temperature drops and we get the uncontrollable urge to
fly, all will be revealed.

How do the Phantom and Inspire drones do in winter temperatures?

2016-10-26
Use props
andrew.naudi
lvl.2
Canada

Maybe DJI should make a winter coat accy for the Mavic..... I could use one of those!
2016-10-26
Use props
tedbotic.gmail
lvl.2

United States

The Inspire is rated down to -10C, a fair amount lower than the Mavic. Also, check the specs on the Mavic battery... It is only rated for temps down to 5°C. I have had no issues flying the Inspire in the winter, I always play it safe and keep flights shorter.
The Mavic cold temp rating is unfortunate. I am going on a month long scientific cruise down to Antarctica and would much rather bring the Mavic than the inspire (primarily to save space) The stated operating temp has me very concerned about doing so.
2016-10-26
Use props
KJUmuI3PzpcL
lvl.2

United States

I am a n00b, does the lipo battery heat up during flight? If you start with the mavic at 20 C, then you should get 5-10 min flight at zero temp's? I would love to see a test, just hover it at sub zero temps for 10min to see if anything goes wrong. pad the area and make sure its connected to a string
2016-10-27
Use props
Linsenfest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 199475 ft
Germany

This would be very interesting.
I hopefully get mine soon as possible.
But here in Germany we got a strong winter too.
I dont want to fly in -10 or -20 but  -5 could be possible.
2016-10-27
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Make sure the batteries are kept warm before flying. I have them in a bag with hand warmers. Others have used bags of rice that's been in the microwave.

Hover the Mavic once in the air and move it side to side to put some load on the battery for it to warm even more.

keep your flights shorter. The battery might not last as long in super cold temps anyway. Don't let the level go too low either as not to risk harming the battery.
2016-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules