Phantom in winter weather
1196 9 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
connoryankees4
lvl.1

United States

In NY it is being to drop to about freezing everynight. Flurries are usually common during the day even with no incoming storm. I was wondering how the phantom preforms in a light snow/flurry? (If even at all)
2016-10-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

When moisture gets inside the shell, where the electronics are housed, oh oh!! Haha

If you only go for short flights, to grab some awesome video and a few delightful pics, you should be ok!

Extended flights would be asking for trouble. Be sure to use warm batteries, and let the drone warm up a couple of minutes if cold, before flying away.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-26
Use props
cubguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85505 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-26 13:13
When moisture gets inside the shell, where the electronics are housed, oh oh!! Haha

If you only go  ...

Red. are they very sensitive to moisture?
2016-10-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

There are actually moisture pads inside the shell, that will change colour when they get wet.
If you ever need service from DJI, they may not want to fix it. So short sweet flights migh be ok.

It's completely up to you, how you utilize, your drone.
Just be aware of the circumstances, if worse ever escalates to worst!!

Some guys tape the Phantom vents closed as a precaution, not to say the motors won't absorb some though.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-26
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

Even if no snow do you think it would be a good idea to tap vents in freezing weather.
2016-10-28
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

NO, NO, NO.
Dont tape up the vents, why do you think Dji put them in the arms,not for show. The vents draw in air to cool the motors and electrics.
Fly in moist/damp conditions at your peril.
Water and Electric never mix well.....
2016-10-28
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

I am in MN so I have the same concerns. But outside of warming things up, I don't see a big deal with flying in the winter. With that said, I won't do it in light snow or flurries. Snow will get on the unit and it will melt, so now you're introducing liquid to the unit. Not only do you have to deal with that, you'll have to deal with condensation issues as well.

So for me, no flying in light snow or flurries. There are plenty of winter days where it's sunny out or no precipitation.
2016-10-28
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I'm in Maine, been raining here for 4 days, along with heavy winds. Finally no wind or rain this morning. It was 7am and 35 F. I took a flight for 7 minutes. Battery was 19 Celsius when started, quad warmed up, I took off. When I got back battery was 35 Celsius. Everything performed perfectly.
2016-10-29
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Biggest problem in my opinion is that first thing that happens is that you get a snowflake on the lens so it´s useless without a wiper. For just flying it´s totally fine. Warranty is another issue.
2016-10-29
Use props
killerkustums
lvl.1

United States

What about taping around the drone at the seams?
2016-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules