86317 626 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Watty2000 Posted at 2016-10-27 02:16
Agreed 100%. These idiots will be he death of the hobby.

Let's keep a bit of perspective here, and remember this is a user-to-user forum. We're all friends here.
2016-10-27
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-10-27 22:07
Is it possible that the return to home elevation was set too low, and when you activated the return  ...

That wouldn't cause the spinning.  The spinning looks like GPS interference (what happens when you fly around a lot of power lines), rotor damage, or possibly software.  I had the same spinning happen to my Phantom 2+ a few days ago when I flew it in a parking lot surrounded by huge electrical towers.
2016-10-27
Use props
Ngl1145
lvl.2

United States

Link is below.  Hopefully I selected the correct one.  Date should be 10-26-16 around 5:48 PM.  

DAT File Link
2016-10-27
Use props
Ngl1145
lvl.2

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-27 10:24
Let's keep a bit of perspective here, and remember this is a user-to-user forum. We're all friends ...

I'm the original poster... I see and understand where the comment comes from.  I should keep in mind UAV use and safety at all times.  Yesterday I was in a mindset to get the craft going again without thinking of implications (after spending $999 and having done a compass calibration).  But yes, I'm posting here so that we can figure out what is wrong before a lot more people have accidents.  Mine hit a tree, but it could have easily flown in other directions.  I've provided a link for DJI to look at the DAT file.   
2016-10-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

chadc880@charte Posted at 2016-10-27 15:29
I too had the near same exact issue except I did not use anything auto. My first flight with my Mavi ...

Very VERY concerning. This is the X-th person where I read that he has no control over the mavic (sticks do nothing).
This seems to become a real issue. The OP had same issue after takeoff and you and I think I read about others the same problem. The one that took off indoors, didnt respond and then went full right (depends where he stood)

This seems like some serious software issues. If this is the case, DJI is killing the hobby with MANY orders that will result in MANY uncontrollable non-user-error crashes and rules will become even tighter. If I were DJI, I would stop shipping, remove the Pre-Order button and link to NEWS that the software is not yet on point. But, that will probably never happen.
2016-10-27
Use props
Ngl1145
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-27 08:55
Also could you please clarify the current firmware version?

DJI Mindy, please let me know if you were able to view this.  Thanks!

Link for Mavic Pro DAT file
2016-10-27
Use props
johnchao411
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45364 ft
Taiwan

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-10-27 22:36
I'm the original poster... I see and understand where the comment comes from.  I should keep in mi ...

To Admin: no "atti" option for the Mavic, what's the standard procedure if the compass goes wrong in the air..?
2016-10-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-10-27 16:36
I'm the original poster... I see and understand where the comment comes from.  I should keep in mi ...

I hope you get feedback and/or push for feedback, and explanation.
2016-10-27
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

johnchao411@gma Posted at 2016-10-27 16:45
To Admin: no "atti" option for the Mavic, what's the standard procedure if the compass goes wrong  ...

What does it means? There's no ATTI selector? If the GPS or the compass go wrong, I will have a fly away without I can't do anything?
Tell me that's not true... (and the exact behavior..).
Isn't the "sport" mode the new atti mode?
2016-10-27
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

"What a useless post.  Consider making a thread just for your wide sweeping generalizations based off 1 users posting."

Not at all, he has the right to an opinion and some valid reasons for holding that opinion (that these early models have been rushed and are not fit for sale yet)

2 celebrities were given a Mavic for the launch, a man and a woman. I hear the woman has already lost hers, saying it fell into the sea? That's a 50% failure rate.

Some celebrity vloggers were given some and one of them, that Casey guy's, has already been lost as well? Sure he's reckless and so on, but it raises suspicions.

We see a video where one becomes unresponsive, ignore's the user's inputs and does what it wants, ie descending.

Now the general public are getting them. Only a few of these craft have actually arrived at buyer's homes and already we've have 2 crashes with the craft refusing to obey the pilot's commands?

Not to mention broken gimbals or clamps and things rattling inside, poor quality mouldings etc.

Lately I've been contemplating how $1000 would actually get me a half decent espresso machine and a basic laptop, both of which I could do with. Right now I'm glad I decided to wait and see what would happen with the early models, along with the "Samsung problem" of DJI Go app crashing Nexus and Samsung phones. I'm losing interest in the Mavic, as the very thought if it ignoring my commands... urgh. The 'Control' part of Remote Control is kind of critical. At this rate I think I'll wait and see what happens by the new year? Hey, maybe a January sale?

I think you can be pretty sure a brand new product will have teething troubles, and that goes double for one that has been rushed.

The Mavic seems to be either a bad design or it's been rushed; pick one?
2016-10-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-10-27 22:43

Link for Mavic Pro DAT file ...

Thank you for the feedback.
I have passed the data file to our engineers.
2016-10-27
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Malaysia

giusis00 Posted at 2016-10-27 22:52
What does it means? There's no ATTI selector? If the GPS or the compass go wrong, I will have a fl ...

You cannot manually select altitude hold mode like you could earlier models, ie Phantoms, however it should enter it automatically upon losing GPS signal (which is a fancy way of saying without GPS it will be.. without GPS?)

So it should hold it's alttude but not it's position. However some of the reports suggest it may not respond to control inputs either, while deciding for itself how high it should be.
2016-10-27
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-27 16:56
You cannot manually select altitude hold mode like you could earlier models, ie Phantoms, however  ...

I know ...but if it won't lost the signal, but the signal is noisy and erratic.. like in example the position is moving while it's not.. it will fly away or it will land wherever it will believe it's the correct position? Can't I switch manually OFF the GPS as I do with my Phantom 3P ?
2016-10-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-27 16:53
Thank you for the feedback.
I have passed the data file to our engineers.

Will we get updates from you? Feedback what they see in the logs? I think many people will love to hear what they find. I hope not just a firmware fix (in a few weeks and all MAVICs grounded, this seems to be a good plan btw) and nothing really about what went wrong.
2016-10-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-27 07:52
"What a useless post.  Consider making a thread just for your wide sweeping generalizations based of ...

You should really have a look at the iCoffee iCafe then.  It's amazing!
2016-10-27
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nees Posted at 2016-10-27 22:43
Very VERY concerning. This is the X-th person where I read that he has no control over the mavic (s ...

I agree, we all should TOTALLY FREAK OUT.  What's really annoying is this sort of THE SKY IS FALLING mentality happens every time a new product is launched.  New products, especially ones with cutting edge technology, have growing pains.  However, they are rarely Note 7 level.  You making a determination that all Mavic's will fall out of the sky, based solely on forum posts, is not helpful.  If 1,000 were shipped, and your "X-th" person calculation - lets go with 10 - have errors...  what percentage is that?  A percentage well within normal mass manufacturing fault levels.  Stop with the exaggerations please - or start a thread solely for exaggerations.
2016-10-27
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Malaysia

method007 Posted at 2016-10-27 23:08
I agree, we all should TOTALLY FREAK OUT.  What's really annoying is this sort of THE SKY IS FALLI ...

Not everyone with a DJI product knows the DJI forum exists.

How many others have gone wrong but not posted about here?

2016-10-27
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-27 22:52
"What a useless post.  Consider making a thread just for your wide sweeping generalizations based of ...

Opinions are personal thoughts.  Saying DJI rushed production implies fact - that's not an opinion.  It's not debatable.
2016-10-27
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

method007 Posted at 2016-10-27 17:08
I agree, we all should TOTALLY FREAK OUT.  What's really annoying is this sort of THE SKY IS FALLI ...

I believe he is concerned (and me as well) that this is an issue with the software, or the logic behind it... so it could potentially affect 100% of the MAVIC (it's just a matter of "kick" in), because thinking at it.. considering the number of drones that have hit the customers (a very small number) the number of few people that have reported the issue is alarming. I hope it's not the case, because in the next couple of days we will have many people with their drone.
But for that time, if it's a sw issue, DJI will likely correct it... anyway having your drone not in the air until we'll see what's going on, is a smart idea.
2016-10-27
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

giusis00 Posted at 2016-10-27 23:00
I know ...but if it won't lost the signal, but the signal is noisy and erratic.. like in example t ...

No - you can not manually switch off GPS on the Mavic at this time.
2016-10-27
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-10-27 09:30
I did enter Flight Data Mode however I cannot see anything other than the SD card that is in the M ...

Use DJI Assistant 2 to download .DAT files... worked for me!
2016-10-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

method007 Posted at 2016-10-27 17:08

I am not saying this will happen to everyone immediatly, but the chances are big that it will happen to others in certain random cases. But from the 55 shipped to forum users, and not all 55 received it yet, how big is the percentage then? You should not count the amount shipped, but how many have flown. This amount on the forum is low and yet very high percentage of no-control issues. If you really want to count them. It is not about how many experienced it...

It is like saying: Boeing has a new plane, the biggest ever. And in one, the batteries blew up (really happend). Ohwell, let the others around the world fly, it is just one case and there are 300 already in the world where it didn't happen with. No, they ground them and investigate it. This counts also for these aircrafts.

It is not a toy. It can hurt people, it can damage property. Here, it hit a tree, not a car, not a person or animal.
2016-10-27
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
United States

I really hope that DJI will make ATTI mode manually selectable by the pilot.  This would be a great fall back for such cases should GPS/Compass go crazy.   Automation and electronic assistance is good, but the pilot should always have a way to fall back on manual control since he is ultimately responsible for the aircraft.  Nothing feels worse than seeing your aircraft behaving badly and there is nothing you can do to control it.
2016-10-27
Use props
chanley
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75659 ft
United States

As a rookie operator, I would be interested in seeing the feedback from DJI engineers.  Also, is this type of log that the OP put up, considered within normal/to be expected log entries?  Not condemning the OP at all, I am curious as to what level of interference is considererd, "warning....use caution".  Is there a scenario in which the craft would say "won't take off, too much interference"?
A        04m 19s        0.0 ft        0 ft        Mode        Mode changed to 41
B        04m 19s        0.0 ft        0 ft        Warning        The aircraft is in a Warning Zone (Class B). Fly with caution here.
C        04m 20s        0.0 ft        1 ft        Mode        Mode changed to AssitedTakeoff
D        04m 20s        0.0 ft        1 ft        Warning        Strong Wireless Interference. Fly with caution.
E        04m 22s        -0.3 ft        1 ft        Mode        Mode changed to GPS_Atti
F        04m 50s        7.9 ft        7 ft        Warning        Camera Settings Adjusted to ActiveTrack
G        04m 53s        7.9 ft        7 ft        Mode        Mode changed to Joystick
H        04m 53s        7.9 ft        7 ft        Mode        Mode changed to NaviSubMode_Tracking
I        05m 06s        7.9 ft        8 ft        Warning        Warning:Subject lost. Searching ...
J        05m 07s        7.9 ft        9 ft        Mode        Mode changed to GPS_Atti
K        05m 08s        7.9 ft        10 ft        Mode        Mode changed to Joystick
L        05m 08s        7.9 ft        10 ft        Mode        Mode changed to NaviSubMode_Tracking
M        05m 20s        7.9 ft        12 ft        Mode        Mode changed to GPS_Atti
2016-10-27
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

method007 Posted at 2016-10-27 17:13
No - you can not manually switch off GPS on the Mavic at this time.

This is crazy... if the value reads (for whatever reason) are wrong, then I have to "fight" against the (wrong) attitude of the drone believing he is "right"... or even worse, if the position read during a RTH is wrong, it will fly who know where? Why they removed a such useful backup function?

This may explain why the control was unresponsive (the intention to go in a direction given by the controller would be fighting the erratic data provided by the GPS/Compass), and why it went crazy when they engaged the RTH.
2016-10-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

This reminds me of an Airbus A320 at an air show in 1988 CFIT into some trees.  The aircraft was like "oh you've got the gear down so you WANT to land."  So, sidestick commands (stupid things have no yoke OR THRUST LEVERS) were met with no response (no thrust was automatically added) and it went KABOOM big badda boom.  SAME THING as Mavic - there is no manual reversion mode or "ATTI."

And yes, you read that correctly.  A318, A319, A320, A321 (A320 series) aircraft have no "steering wheel" and also lack "a gas pedal/accelerator."  I've flown one and although it WAS probably the smoothest aircraft I've flown, it sucks not having thrust levers and no ejection seat!

2016-10-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-10-27 22:43

Link for Mavic Pro DAT file ...

Glad you got it downloaded. Headquarters will analyze it and get back to you.
2016-10-27
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nees Posted at 2016-10-27 23:16
I am not saying this will happen to everyone immediatly, but the chances are big that it will happe ...

No, a drone is not a Boeing.  It's a mass produced consumer product.  Also, you trying to run statistics utilizing a forum specifically designed for people with problems to come to, is clearly going to produce false results.  No matter what your opinions are, you should still stop short of libel.  

You are literally making assumptions on what happened to people without being there, without having the drone, without doing research, without having the training to dissect the logs, etc, etc, etc....  Come on, seriously?  Feel free to have an opinion, but your doomsday scenario is ridiculous.
2016-10-27
Use props
johnchao411
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45364 ft
Taiwan

giusis00 Posted at 2016-10-27 22:52
What does it means? There's no ATTI selector? If the GPS or the compass go wrong, I will have a fly ...

that sounds really bad isn't it? DJI wants to make Mavic easier to fly but I think the technology is just not there yet...
2016-10-27
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Malaysia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-27 23:07
You should really have a look at the iCoffee iCafe then.  It's amazing!

Mmm....

I live next door to Java, and can easily get hold of top notch freshly roasted beans.

What is not so easy to get hold of, anywhere, is a coffee machine that doesn't have "It died in 6 months!" reviews :/

Right now I'm leaning towards the Brevill Barista Express, but anyway, back to the topic of rushed and crashing Mavics...
2016-10-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

method007 Posted at 2016-10-27 08:26
No, a drone is not a Boeing.  It's a mass produced consumer product.  Also, you trying to run stat ...

No IT IS NOT A BOEING.  We have a saying "if it ain't Boeing, it ain't going."

Airbus is what I said & they ARE MASS PRODUCED on an assembly line.  AND, they are total POS.  The A320 series is almost EX-FREAKIN-ACTLY like the Mavic!!
2016-10-27
Use props
Eric Mavic
lvl.2

United States

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-27 08:29
Mmm....

I live next door to Java, and can easily get hold of top notch freshly roasted beans.

I love my Jura Capresso S9, its been running strong for about 4 years now...never had to send in for repairs of any kind. That being said, it was about $1600.
2016-10-27
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-27 23:31
No IT IS NOT A BOEING.  We have a saying "if it ain't Boeing, it ain't going."

Airbus is what I s ...

Hey - I say that all the time.  I really mean it though.  If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.
2016-10-27
Use props
Ngl1145
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-27 11:25
Glad you got it downloaded. Headquarters will analyze it and get back to you.

Great thanks DJI-Ken and DJI Mindy.  
2016-10-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-10-27 23:37
Great thanks DJI-Ken and DJI Mindy.

No problem, we'll get to the bottom of it. What is your case number, I can then see your email and I just wanted to review the flight like you see it in your flight records.
2016-10-27
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I think it's possible that the joysticks needed calibration or the yaw control joystick is faulty or being misread by the software.

But it could be a compass or IMU issue as well.
Since it's been reported by more than one user I suspect it's going to be a software/firmware fix.
2016-10-27
Use props
Ngl1145
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-27 11:41
No problem, we'll get to the bottom of it. What is your case number, I can then see your email and ...

DJI-Ken, I did not call DJI repair services yesterday.  I called the DJI Care Refresh.  So I don't have a service number or claim opened other than the one for Care Refresh.  
2016-10-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-10-27 23:50
DJI-Ken, I did not call DJI repair services yesterday.  I called the DJI Care Refresh.  So I don't ...

Ahhh ok, well, let's wait and see what the flight data analysis department says after they review the flight data.
2016-10-27
Use props
packmunkey
New

United States

Total novice here (Only flown toy drones) and I am scared enough that I cancelled my order from 10/27. Thought this was a good hobby travel companion but will wait it out. First I cancelled my support for the Lily "drone" and now this!!! Commenting so I can see what develops here.
2016-10-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

chanley Posted at 2016-10-27 08:21
As a rookie operator, I would be interested in seeing the feedback from DJI engineers.  Also, is thi ...

I still have an issue with this particular Mavic taking off in Class B airspace.  That & the warning for interference is where one should maybe pause & think about the situation.
2016-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules