CRASH with DJI Mavic Pro today
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marv0
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 15:36
They can look at their flight logs as well as I can too, but that's the data from the app.
DJI's s ...

I was just having a little fun with you Ken

There is no simple way to read the code into anything meaningful, I did have a look.
2016-10-28
Use props
RyCo
lvl.1

United States

Page 49:

"Height is restricted to 16 feet (5 meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is activated. Height is restricted to 164 feet (50 meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is inactivated."

In the video of a Chinese user flying off his balcony, the Mavic descended despite his control inputs.

Many people are worried that this could put their Mavic into a dangerous or unretrievable position. From what I understand, the Phantom 4 would allow you to switch to ATTI mode and avoid the unwanted descent.
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

RyCo Posted at 2016-10-28 23:12
Page 49:

"Height is restricted to 16 feet (5 meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Visi ...

That reviewer was on beta firmware.
Basically, you really should have full GPS lock before takeoff.
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-10-28 22:42
Ken, just a heads-up, to be able to see the DAT files on a MAC is not possible any more.
This used  ...

I don't have a Mavic in from t of me but I see my P4's DAT files on my Macbook Pro.
You can see the files but you would need the DJI flight data recorder software program to open and read the files.
2016-10-28
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 12:21
I don't have a Mavic in from t of me but I see my P4's DAT files on my Macbook Pro.
You can see th ...

Thank you for the response Ken, My Mavic is in transit so can't test but will. Very strange indeed that you can see the files, I have tried this with many different Mac's with different OS  and NONE was able to see or mount the drive that contains the files (mind you this was from an Inspire 1) even had Carson trying to do it as well as went to DJI distruator and tested there, non could do it. I am just talking about accessing the files not opening them.
Anyway will try with the Mavic when it arrives in a couple of days, might have been only issue with Inspire 1?
2016-10-28
Use props
djoole
lvl.2
France

DJI-Ken, the statements are from me, not from the manual.
Actually the info in the manual is not complete enough to understand what should be the drone behaviout about max heights.
That's why I wanted you to do that, so that it's clear for everyone to know how the aircraft will behave if we have a GPS signall loss when flying above 5 meters with DVS or 50 meters without it.

Please can you describe the behavior for these use cases :

- aircraft flying at 100m with GPS locked and DVS enabled. There is a loss of GPS.
==> what is happenning?

- aircraft flying at 100m with GPS locked and DVS disabled. There is a loss of GPS.
==> what is happenning?

Is there a difference with P-mode and S-mode for these 2 cases?

Thanks.
2016-10-28
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 17:19
Basically, you really should have full GPS lock before takeoff ...

The question was about: what IF it loses the GPS signal (because of obstructions or interferences) while in flight?
2016-10-28
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.2

United States

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-10-26 20:56
I've contacted DJI Care Refresh.  I purchased it before I even powered up my Mavic Pro yesterday a ...

Sorry to hear about your crash. I haven't bought one yet but am curious why you have to pay $75? If the product or software is defective, shouldn't they just send you a new one at no charge? That seems like a no brainer and just good business practice. I'm confused.
2016-10-28
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

giusis00 Posted at 2016-10-28 08:37
The question was about: what IF it loses the GPS signal (because of obstructions or interferences) ...

The manual says it will revert to ATTI mode and keep flying in ATTI mode.

You can download the manual & read for your self here: http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
2016-10-28
Use props
RyCo
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 23:19

Your response makes it sound as if GPS signal is never lost during normal flight, but reality seems to disagree:

Example #1
Example #2
Example #3

Hopefully the Downward Vision System can be deactivated mid-flight, since 50m should be enough to get over most obstacles.

2016-10-28
Use props
djoole
lvl.2
France

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-28 17:40
The manual says it will revert to ATTI mode and keep flying in ATTI mode.

You can download the ma ...

Reverting to ATTI mode doesn't mean going down by it's own.

There is the max height description (5m/50m), and a note that says (page 49) : "If the aircraft flies out of the limit, you can still control the aircraft, but you cannot fly it any farther"

So personnaly when i read that i don't read the aircraft is gonna descend by it's own in anyway.
But I'd like confirmation by DJI team, hence my previous post, which I hope Ken is going to answer to :-)
2016-10-28
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 21:50
Myself or Ed cannot read DAT files, only the flight data analysis department can.
Please open a ca ...

I emailed support and they suggested to send the drone in, I just want someone to read the logs and tell me what happened.
2016-10-28
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft

RyCo Posted at 2016-10-28 23:43
Your response makes it sound as if GPS signal is never lost during normal flight, but reality seems ...

Yes, i can only second that.
With my small Bebop i deliberately fly in deep woods or in ruined buildings or deep trenches.
No GPS there, foreseeable.
I am not a DJI fanboy but couldnt resist the Mavic.
Hopefully my DJI-suspicions about Apple-like taking away control & intelligence from the user will be nullified by allowing the ATTI mode again to be user selectable.

Nils
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RyCo Posted at 2016-10-28 23:43
Your response makes it sound as if GPS signal is never lost during normal flight, but reality seems ...

GPS can get disrupted in flight due to not a clear view of the sky in case you fly between buildings or possibly a high KP index.
It goes into ATTI mode and you will have to control the drift.
My suggestion is fly in open areas and you will be fine.
If you fly downtown between skyscrapers and lose GPS I would hope that you are a proficient pilot and fly fly in ATTI mode and be able to control the aircraft.
And yes, you can disable the VPS.

This is why it's good to first purchase a inexpensive aircraft so you learn how to fly in ATTI mode and if you crash due to inexperience or loss of orientation then it will hurt your wallet a lot less.
2016-10-28
Use props
RyCo
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 23:59
GPS can get disrupted in flight due to not a clear view of the sky in case you fly between buildin ...

Thanks, good to know -- that clears up a lot of confusion and makes me a lot more confident that the Mavic will not force itself into a bad position.

Hopefully we'll also be able to get a manual switch for ATTI mode, but if it automatically switches to ATTI when GPS is weak that should be good enough for most situations.
Edit: Just to remove any doubt, are you saying the Mavic with current firmware will not descend to 5m or 50m automatically when GPS is lost/weak (as stated on pg. 49 of the manual)?

2016-10-28
Use props
djoole
lvl.2
France

That is not stated in page 49, please read again, or read again my previous post.
It's only stated that there are max heights. And that the drone will prevent you from going any upper if you're already beyond these limits.
It doesn't say the drone is going to descend by its own.

And I've been asking the question to Ken since previous page, maybe he doesn't want to answer that :-P
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-10-28 23:32
Thank you for the response Ken, My Mavic is in transit so can't test but will. Very strange indeed ...

You mean downloading the DAT file to the Assistant2 right then saving it to a folder?
I am able to.
Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.59.23 PM.png
2016-10-28
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 13:18
You mean downloading the DAT file to the Assistant2 right then saving it to a folder?
I am able to ...

Thx Ken, wasn't aware of that function since with previous models I have  including my Inspire Pro don't use the assistant software. Happy to see that.
2016-10-28
Use props
Tenreth
lvl.2

Repsolkid Posted at 2016-10-28 16:00
Surely this is an easy investigation to determine if this is an iOS issue. Can someone fly without ...

I've just tried to reproduce the stick-"issue" on Android. Everything was working fine. Nothing was stuck. Maybe I-OS issue or those remotes are broken and it's coincidence that it affacts iphone users.
2016-10-28
Use props
the_foo
lvl.1

Spain

Tenreth Posted at 2016-10-29 00:27
I've just tried to reproduce the stick-"issue" on Android. Everything was working fine. Nothing wa ...

don´t believe in coincidences
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

djoole Posted at 2016-10-28 23:35
DJI-Ken, the statements are from me, not from the manual.
Actually the info in the manual is not com ...

1st case, if you lose GPS at 100m with VSS disabled it goes into ATTI mode and you are limited to that height and still have full control except going higher.
2nd case, lose GPS and it goes into ATTI and VSS is disabled,  Then you are limited to that height.

If this happens is S mode, it may be the same case.
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

giusis00 Posted at 2016-10-28 23:37
The question was about: what IF it loses the GPS signal (because of obstructions or interferences) ...

Answered in above post.
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-10-29 00:24
Thx Ken, wasn't aware of that function since with previous models I have  including my Inspire Pro ...

You are correct, only the later models use the Assistant2, P4, M100, M600, and now the Mavic.
2016-10-28
Use props
MuchMitchies
lvl.2

United States

Handsfreebicycl Posted at 2016-10-28 05:27
omg I think I will cancel all my mavic orders for now....I like the product and I truly believe IT  ...

Great Idea. Just like riding your bicycle hands free and crashing as you were about to finish typing in your account name.
2016-10-28
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 17:59
GPS can get disrupted in flight due to not a clear view of the sky in case you fly between building ...

You confirm that in no way it will do anything by itself? If it lose the GPS or the data from the GPS is erratic, it disables the "auto posititioning system" (the GPS one) and the operator has the FULL CONTROL of the Mavic?
I need to know the answer an the exact question above please.

2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RyCo Posted at 2016-10-29 00:02
Thanks, good to know -- that clears up a lot of confusion and makes me a lot more confident that th ...

If you have questions not related to this thread, please start a new thread or post onto another one that's realevant to your question.

That's correct. I've sent a message to make sure it's absolutely positive.
The release notes mentions it as well.
I believe if you are above those heights then you cannot fly higher, if you have VSS disabled and the aircraft will not start descending to the limit if GPS is lost.
"If the aircraft flies out of the limit, you can still control the aircraft, but you cannot fly it any further"

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic+Pro+Release_Notes_en_201610.pdf

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 9.48.37 AM.png
2016-10-28
Use props
RyCo
lvl.1

United States

giusis00 Posted at 2016-10-29 00:55
You confirm that in no way it will do anything by itself? If it lose the GPS or the data from the  ...

It sounds like you will have full control minus the ability to ascend beyond your current height or the height limits (whichever is higher).

He said even if it's at 100 meters (well above the height limit for weak GPS), the Mavic will stay at that height but won't be able to go any higher.
2016-10-28
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 18:33
1st case, if you lose GPS at 100m with VSS on it goes into ATTI mode and you are limited to that he ...

WHAAAAAAAAAT??????????? If i'm flying in a canyon and i will lose the GPS signal.. I will lose the drone because I cannot pilot outside of it anymore since it cannot regain height???
Please tell me that your information is wrong! This is a major issue!
2016-10-28
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

RyCo Posted at 2016-10-28 18:57
It sounds like you will have full control minus the ability to ascend beyond your current height or ...

Holy ...!! This is bad! It the landing zone is elevated and it reaches a surface above you, the VPS will be active and if you lose the GPS, it cannot regain your altitude anymore and you're f*ed!
This is really a bad idea ... whoever had chosen a such logic.
2016-10-28
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

Sorry if I spam the thread.. but this makes the drone completely unusable for my purposes... there's no fall back in the Mavic like I have in the P3P? I mean, can't I just turn off this crazy logic thing and fly the drone myself outside of a bad situation? There's no switch to turn a "manual mode" ON? Tell me this will be corrected or I just wasted 1500€!
2016-10-28
Use props
RyCo
lvl.1

United States

giusis00 Posted at 2016-10-29 00:57
WHAAAAAAAAAT??????????? If i'm flying in a canyon and i will lose the GPS signal.. I will lose the  ...

It does sound like canyons can get you into a pretty bad situation. 1,000+ meters deep and probably lots of GPS interference.

Hmm... better have a lot of rope and good rappelling / climbing skills
2016-10-28
Use props
pelermon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34094 ft
United States

Mode 1 or Mode 2  on the controller?
2016-10-28
Use props
pelermon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34094 ft
United States

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-10-26 20:40
The spinning was happening using the return to home.  I did notice the compass errors after it cli ...

Mode 1 or Mode 2 on the controller?
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-10-29 00:24
Thx Ken, wasn't aware of that function since with previous models I have  including my Inspire Pro ...

Yes, the Assistant2 is pretty cool. Also the updating the firmware via the app or Assistant2, no more SD card BIN files to transfer
2016-10-28
Use props
djoole
lvl.2
France

OK, Thanks a lot Ken for confirming the behavior.
Sorry for having insisted, I understand it wasn't really on topic but it needed nonetheless to be cleared.

So now when people loose control, like the OP, we can safely think it's a bug and not a design :-D

@canyon_guy (giusis00) : I'm pretty sure the 50m/5m are calculated from the take off point.
So If you take off close to a canyon (let's say 800m altitude), and then go down the canyon, you will be at minus something in altitude. You will be able to go up, not having reached the limit (if GPS down) which would be actually 850m/805m.

Am I right Ken? Is giusis00 going to be able to enjoy his Mavic in canyon in auto-ATTI-mode-after-GPS-loss? :-D
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RyCo Posted at 2016-10-29 00:57
It sounds like you will have full control minus the ability to ascend beyond your current height or ...

I edited my post to say "with VSS disabled.
I'm finding out if VSS is enabled if you are limited in height if GPS is lost.
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

giusis00 Posted at 2016-10-29 00:57
WHAAAAAAAAAT??????????? If i'm flying in a canyon and i will lose the GPS signal.. I will lose the  ...

I edited to say when VSS id disabled, I am finding out if VSS enabled has no altitude limitation (except 500m) if GPS is lost.
2016-10-28
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 17:19

Not really. Why cant we be in control of the aircraft? Why does it need to be locked? If I want to take of and control the way I want, why can't I?
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Nees Posted at 2016-10-29 01:39
Not really. Why cant we be in control of the aircraft? Why does it need to be locked? If I want to ...

That is how the Mavic operates, it does not have a manual ATTI mode.
Users have asked for a manual mode and the request has been made but I do not know if it would ever be implemented or not.
2016-10-28
Use props
jschou86
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-10-28 01:36
Sorry, it's not the upgrading log, may I know have you received the e-mail from our support with t ...

Hi Natalia, I have a ticket with support but only got an automated response, is there a way I can message you my email?
2016-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules