Mavic Camera Focus Question
1141 3 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shank McGuilicu
lvl.1
United States

For anyone who's just gotten theirs or knows, I'm wondering how the camera handles focusing when performing certain shots - like say you're down close to something and hovering - you hav to focus in on that object to get it in clear view.  If you want to do a pull away shot where you ascend and reverse way out, do you constantly have to refocus your shot to get the rest of the picture clear?  Same for descending towards an object - say you're up high and want to descend and come in close to something - it requires that you are pretty steady with the sticks to have it look really good.  You can't remove your hands from the sticks for a second to focus, then get back on them or it ruins your whole shot.  How do you accomplish this?  I'm contemplating buying one, but don't want to regret it if it's a pain in the a$$ to use.  I have a p4 an have been flying fpv for years both fixed and multi, but am concerned with the new focusing on the mavic.  I suppose you just focus on infinity the entire time?  That kind of nullifies the purpose of having a focusable camera...  Thanks.
2016-10-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Perhaps enabling Manual Focus + Focus Peaking set to 70%.  Now use your third hand to 'roll' the manual focus as you get closer.

But yea, you are shedding light on practical usage limitations, MAYBE...  Let's think about this...
2016-10-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Maybe setup your COURSE LOCK for whatever your shoot requires.  Now you could sit your controller down; maybe in your lap so it's sort of 'secured.'  Maybe you could practice using 1 hand (using index finger & pinky) on sticks & now you've got that other hand to do that MF 'rolling' on the DJI GO app screen.  I'm not sure how 'professional' you wanna get with it.  I mean, you could CAD up a freakin jig for the controller I suppose & make it all out of a diamond encrusted rare mineral mined somewhere hostile.

Don't forget you've got to consider exposure, as well.  You can't just lock it & be done with it.  Some maneuvers are going to be challenging, hence the Intelligent Flight Modes and using them wisely. I can think of how ActiveTrack would help in this situation also.
Lastly, you can always just reverse the footage in post and adjust speed (if there are no birds, people, cars, etc).  So many scenarios & techniques to apply.  

2016-10-26
Use props
Thy Nguyen
New

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-26 23:55
Perhaps enabling Manual Focus + Focus Peaking set to 70%.  Now use your third hand to 'roll' the man ...

"third hand" nice. I would recommend a toe, get your exercise in.
2016-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules