2406 10 2016-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

This is a big reason for the log jam in Mavic deliveries.

It is the connector on the H3-3D gimbal to a GoPro camera that was attached to a Phantom 2 in 2014. This was the first, mass produced,consumer level brushless motor 3 axis gimbal in the world.

Many DJI customers complained about it because it was a flimsy way to connect to the GoPro, especially when there was a direct port behind the camera that plugged into the gimbal in the previous H2-3D gimbal.

That was before GoPro, hoping to profit from DJI's success got greedy and asked for ~60% of the profits from DJI's sales of drones if they were to partner. They also asked for a levy for use of the direct GP3 port that DJI refused to pay (hence the workaround USB 2 connector which tore easily and annoyed customers with big, strong and impatient hands).

Had the two companies agreed to work together or at least more amicably, we would not have the Karma vs. Mavic fight that is being played out.

DJi is dead set on winning this battle and has pulled all the stops out to sell the Mavic. I think they have far exceeded themselves and their own wildest hopes.

Like the Solo before the P3, the Karma will probably continue to have a niche following but unless GoPro is really that stupid, it probably will want to modify its drone ambitions or come up with some scorched earth tactic which is not impossible in this sick world.

All the anger about shipping delays will probably give way to excitement come November when flyers get to marvel at the tech packed into the Mavic.

So... while waiting for your Mavic, muse about the history behind today's events. You are part of it. This story, if it is not already making it into business school casebooks, probably will.

malicious irrigation...

malicious irrigation...
2016-10-28
Use props
hepnotic
lvl.1

United States

60%? That makes me angry
2016-10-28
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Your telling me my Mavic shipping is delayed because of a GoPro connector that was attached to a Phantom 2 in 2014! Gee thanks!  Next cuckoo story please.
2016-10-28
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Logger Posted at 2016-10-28 18:13
Your telling me my Mavic shipping is delayed because of a GoPro connector that was attached to a Pha ...

Connect the dots Mr. Consumer
2016-10-28
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Very fascinating write up Mike-the-cat.   Thank you for that.    Such is the world of competitive business.   You can thank competition for pushing the envelope and creating these amazing tech marvels that we will (eventually) receive.  
2016-10-28
Use props
geIF6KkgUJLt
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-28
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14451480 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-10-28 15:15

I think he just did. I agree with Logger
2016-11-27
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

GoPro's stock as tanked after the Karma dropping like a rock from the sky.

Oh the irony, If DJI conducted a hostile take over by buying a majority stake of Gopro.

2016-11-27
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

WRONG......obviously the delay is caused by THERMAL WIND GUSTS!! These invisable wind gusts go beep beep .... Its just scientific.
2016-11-27
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-10-29 01:15

The spy at DJI should have been shot. I think the spy was being chicken-little saying the sky is full of karmas. At the end of the day, I think it was just a personal thing with Frankie and his good old pals at Gopro, reminding him who owns the biggest pie in the sky.

Oh - the 30pin proprietary rear port thing... $10 bucks on ebay. If you want it to work with a Hero 4, find an LCD backpac and press play. This will unlock it permanently and allow you to use the H4-3D's or H3-3Ds without having to move the flex to access the SD Card.
2016-11-27
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2016-11-28 06:22
The spy at DJI should have been shot. I think the spy was being chicken-little saying the sky is f ...

Trivial to unlock and the connector is relatively cheap. But when you are dissed, you don't want to give in right? and DJI certainly didn't. Some folks used the backplate from the H3-2D on the 3D gimbals as a workaround.
2016-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules