Does the Gopro charge while mounted to a P2 - H33D?
3707 11 2015-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ouzedh.gmail
lvl.1
United States

Kind of a dumb question, but I was wondering about how the video cable on the zenmuse gimbal interfaces with the Gopro - does it charge the camera at all? Like, if I left the Phantom on without flying it, would it charge up the Gopro?

Does the cable just assist with aiming the gimbal? What exactly does it do?
2015-2-4
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

Yes the mini usb video interface cable will charge the GoPro's battery but only while the Phantom is turned on. You don't have to be "flying" but the Phantom has to be powered up.

The primary purpose of the cable is to provide a live feed to an FPV monitor on the ground. The Phantom has to be fitted with a transmitter like the AVL58 or AVL58 Lite to send the feed to the ground monitor.
2015-2-4
Use props
ouzedh.gmail
lvl.1
United States

Thanks, that is what I was wondering.
2015-2-4
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

So remember to have your gopro fully charged, this will increase your flying time. As I never flew with a low battery in the camrea, I can't tell what difference it would make.
2015-2-4
Use props
ouzedh.gmail
lvl.1
United States

Wow, I never even thought of that  thanks!
2015-2-5
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

ouzedh.gmail Posted at 2015-2-5 00:26
Thanks, that is what I was wondering.

I 'm not sure why it has power going  to the GoPro. If you charge the battery you shouldn't need power to the GoPro. It would be nice  if the GoPro had a battery jumper so Iyou could emove the battery and save 25 grams of flight weight.

I figure it's a wash on flight time. Get rid of 25 grams and power the camera from the Phantom battery or cut the charging to the GoPro and keep the battery. Right now thinking about seeing if I can disconnect the power to the GoPro. I have a QuickRelease and sometimes I got white lines on the FPV screen on my phone. Dronesxperts say its the charging. The good news is the white lines don't show on the recorded video of the GoPro
2015-2-5
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I believe that the zenmuse  is constructed to the weight of the camera incl. battery. I've seen a vid where a gimbal with a gopro but without it's battery had problems stabalizing itself.
2015-2-6
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

TenCentsWorth Posted at 2015-2-6 11:23
This guy was flying without a GoPro battery and was getting low flying time.

http://forum.dji.com ...

It must be a QuickRelease thing but my GoPro won't work without a battery when attached to the H3-3D on the QuickRelease and the drone is powered up.
2015-2-6
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

GoPro battery 3.7v 1160mAh.  You could fully charge that battery 12 to 15 times with one Phantom battery.  I wouldn't worry about it affecting flight time.
2015-2-6
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

I agree it shouldn't be a big enough battery to draw that much, but if charging and powering the camera it might be a fair amount.  However, have you looked at the size of that ribbon cable?  It can't draw very much or it would burn that sucker up.  I have accidentally left my gopro on several times and drained the battery so maybe it will make some difference.  I'll try to test with gopro unplugged vs plugged in and dead battery and see if there is any noticeable difference in flight times.  
2015-2-6
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

kleake.rapfire Posted at 2015-2-7 04:50
I agree it shouldn't be a big enough battery to draw that much, but if charging and powering the cam ...

The charging circuit built into the camera will only allow a few hundred mAh through to the battery.  At 3.7 volts a wire the size of a human hair could probably handle it.  Well, maybe a red-head hair.
2015-2-6
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

Agreed, that's why I don't think it's drawing much at all, especially compared to the draw that the motors have.  It may reduce my flight time by 5 seconds or so would be my wild guess.
2015-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules