Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Map on iPhone, but Grid on iPad Air 2
1788 5 2016-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4

Thanks for any help here. I'm really supposed to be pretty computer savvy, but not so much.

It is my understanding that my Cellular version of my iPad Air 2 has GPS. I also have a 6S+ that I know has GPS.

When I fly (P3P) using my iPhone, there is a map that I can switch to from the camera view. Kinda handy sometimes.
When I fly using my iPad all I get is a grid. Kinda boring.
I never "downloaded" a map to my phone?
Not sure why I would need to download one to the iPad, but if I do, how does one go about this? I've cleverly tried running Google Maps in the background, but it didn't take the hint.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Barney
2016-10-28
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Cellular versions have GPS hardware included, it is on the same circuit board added to the main board.  Non-cellular versions don't have inbuilt GPS.  That said, as long as GPS is enabled, the device knows where it is.  The device also needs an internet connection for data to download the maps to show where it is.  While this can be wifi for devices that don't have a cellular data function enabled (e.g. no SIM card), the maps can be downloaded beforehand like you are trying to do.  Make sure you have "cache maps in background" enabled.  You clearly have an internet conection if you are getting "Maps" to download data.   The data that is being downloaded by "Maps" can also be independently downloaded by "Go" and be saved and made available for it when you are out and about and away from a wifi/data source.  You can't assume just because one app works the same data is available for all other apps to use.

When you describe a "grid", what do you mean (a photo would be good).  The map could be a satellite view, a graphical drawing (grid) or a combo (hybrid).   Are you sure it isn't in grid mode and you are seeing a line drawing of the roads or just open space?  Have you tried zooming out to show other features or changing modes to satellite view?
2016-10-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

You must have a cellular connection for your iPad when you are out in the field to receive maps. You can cache them beforehand, but I think you need to cache the Apple maps, not Google. Try the Apple maps and see how you go.
2016-10-28
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-29 07:05
You must have a cellular connection for your iPad when you are out in the field to receive maps. You ...

Will give Apple maps a shot. Otherwise, I guess I can make the phone a hotspot. Thanks for the help!

Barney
2016-10-29
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4

Thanks for the info. I am having trouble pasting a picture in here too. Hope it shows up. It's like a blank piece of graph paper....
Barney
Grid.JPG
2016-10-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2016-10-30 01:22
Thanks for the info. I am having trouble pasting a picture in here too. Hope it shows up. It's like  ...

Yes, I get that imnage too, I don't bother about maps when I am flying and I don't have a cell plan for my iPad.
2016-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules