Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can't remove controller joysticks?
123Next >
12356 92 2016-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
040mike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29045 ft
Germany

I'll find out myself (remov. yes/no/maybe) .... still waiting for deliv.  :-/ ... ordered from DJI 2016-09-28 13:46:08 (UTC) @chippie: have fun!
2016-11-5
Use props
RAVEN7
lvl.2
United States

Im pretty sure the new RC's just have a spot of glue to permanently affix them and the earliest versions did not. I wish they gave us the option to seal them in or keep them removable.
2016-11-5
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12976 ft
United Kingdom

RAVEN7 Posted at 2016-11-5 17:31
Im pretty sure the new RC's just have a spot of glue to permanently affix them and the earliest vers ...

That would not really make sense tbh! Causes issues with having to service them, need to replace the stick, have to replace the whole pot and vice versa. I still think the ones that feel like they cannot be removed are just pushed in very tight but who knows what goes in at those production lines.... :-)
2016-11-5
Use props
drapers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 758212 ft
United States

my definitely does not come apart see attached. not even glued in looks like totally different modely as there is no break inbetween the sticks complete new plastic mold.
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
2016-11-5
Use props
040mike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29045 ft
Germany

drapers Posted at 2016-11-5 20:29
my definitely does not come apart see attached. not even glued in looks like totally different model ...

Interesting  ... tnx 4 sharing
2016-11-5
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

040mike Posted at 2016-11-5 19:53
Interesting  ... tnx 4 sharing

Oh wow! They are completely different to mine. Is your model number the same? GL200A?

IGNORE THE ABOVE LINE
The sticks look identcal to mune, it was just the angle/lighting.

So I think they should be removable unless they have stuck them in which I doubt very much.

Thanks!
2016-11-05 20.32.21.jpg
2016-11-5
Use props
CW Hobbies
lvl.3

United States

drapers Posted at 2016-11-5 15:29
my definitely does not come apart see attached. not even glued in looks like totally different model ...

Mine is just like yours also.
2016-11-5
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

CW Hobbies Posted at 2016-11-5 21:14
Mine is just like yours also.

I think drapers are also, it is just the angle/flash/lighting that makes it look the same as the plastic. Just confirmed this by taking a photo at the same angle and now mine look like drapers photos.

So I think we all have the same pots/sticks and they should be removable like mine are.
2016-11-5
Use props
drapers
lvl.2
United States

chippie Posted at 2016-11-5 17:51
I think drapers are also, it is just the angle/flash/lighting that makes it look the same as the p ...

mine are not removable trust me.. yours appear to be silver mine are completely black
2016-11-5
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

drapers Posted at 2016-11-5 22:43
mine are not removable trust me.. yours appear to be silver mine are completely black

Oh blimey so I was right the first time round. I took a photo at the same angle as yours and mine look like yours in that photo lol.

So the lower part of the stick below the rubber section is black? Can you take a photo when you have time from the side similar to mine please.
2016-11-5
Use props
drapers
lvl.2
United States

chippie Posted at 2016-11-5 18:57
Oh blimey so I was right the first time round. I took a photo at the same angle as yours and mine  ...

see attached
IMG_0399.JPG
2016-11-5
Use props
mengteck71
lvl.3
Singapore

My friend in Singapore got his Mavic Pro and he mentioned that the joystick cannot be removed from the RC.  He got a small and cheap box for storage to protect and keep other small cables and accessories. This box only cost $2 in Singapore with various sizez

There is may ways to overcome this "unremovable" joysticks.
14889816_968819553229980_4342566510209693069_o.jpg 14939429_968819543229981_8445095309399790724_o.jpg 14991164_968819636563305_7530718912001560521_o.jpg

#2 box

#2 box
2016-11-5
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

^^^ A little overkill I think
2016-11-6
Use props
fansa7eabb8f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

For those of you concerned about storing the sticks in a neutral position, I simply Cut a rectangular piece of the battery shipping foam to the size of the remote, cut two small holes at the stick position and store the remote with the foam piece (sticks inserted into the holes). The foam keeps the sticks from moving. Works perfectly and keeps the sticks in place because they can't move independently.
2016-11-6
Use props
mengteck71
lvl.3
Singapore

fansa7eabb8f Posted at 2016-11-6 19:27
For those of you concerned about storing the sticks in a neutral position, I simply Cut a rectangula ...

Dear fansa7eabb8f,

Could you post some picture on how u store the remote in the battery foam?
2016-11-6
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Guys, do not worry about the position of the sticks whilst storing. It has already been stated by DJI that it will not impact the FC if stored with the sticks not centered / at an angle.

See post #33 in this thread.
2016-11-6
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

chippie Posted at 2016-11-6 08:22
Guys, do not worry about the position of the sticks whilst storing. It has already been stated by DJ ...

...and yet there are many of us who believe that storing the sticks in a non-nutrual position will, over time, stretch one or more of the springs and give the controller a slightly less-than-balanced feel.  in addition, the removable sticks that were originally touted allowed for less concern about how the controller was compressed while packed in a bag or backpack.  Without removable control sticks, one NEEDS to be aware of whether or not they are stacking weight on a stick, or on the top of the controller itself where there is much more surface area to spread it out.  I'm not advocating you stand on your controller, but if I accidentally stepped on my controller, I'd MUCH rather do so without sticks installed that could focus the pressure in a very small location and damage the control.  (And don't tell me that I don't deserve to have a Mavic if I step on it because the last statement was made to illustrate a point, nothing more.)

It doesn't seem obvious yet if the sticks are removable or not.  Seems like some can and others can't... with the amount of force they have put on their controllers.  Sure would be nice if DJI confirmed the intent one way or another.  Regardless, I'll see if mine come out when I get it... and I'll determine how much pressure I want to put on it to do it before I give up.  If my sticks do not come out, I'll be making something to help center and stabilize them while in transit.  That's just the way I am.
2016-11-6
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

It won't stretch/stress the springs keeping the sticks at full deflection. What stresses a spring is repeated extension and compression as in normal use.
Pretty sure they are designed to last the life of the drone. I've been flying RC for half my life and never had a spring failure on a controller. That doesn't mean it can't happen just that in my case it never did.
2016-11-6
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

@Gary Mac, I understand the way of thinking of course. I was simply pointing out that a DJI EMPLOYEE has stated it will not effect the sticks/pots.
2016-11-6
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

OK so now the latest revision of the manual states to keep them straight whilst in storage!

Come on DJI Sort this mess out!

Have asked for confirmation!
2016-11-7
Use props
Xylose
lvl.1

Germany

Commenting for subscription - wondering how this will turn out. Btw mine aren't removable as well...
2016-11-7
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Xylose Posted at 2016-11-7 22:42
Commenting for subscription - wondering how this will turn out. Btw mine aren't removable as well...

Drop us a photo on here. Are your sticks silver from top to bottom (apart from the black rubber ring obviously)?
2016-11-7
Use props
phatee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36165 ft
United States

man...i want removable sticks.
2016-11-7
Use props
fansad747428
lvl.3
United States

Guys: all of these pictures are of the same thing. There aren't two versions. The sticks are removable on all of your controllers. However, you will need to apply significant force to remove them (at least I did). If you're afraid to pull hard enough to remove them, that's okay, but that doesn't mean that your sticks are non-removable--it means you need to pull harder. For those who want removable sticks but are afraid of damaging your unit, don't be. Give it a tug, they'll pop out, and then they'll be easily removable from then on. Do it!
2016-11-8
Use props
fansad747428
lvl.3
United States

drapers Posted at 2016-11-6 03:29

Looking at these pictures, it's clear that this controller is identical to mine. The sticks are the same color (dark silver), and there is an evident seam where the stick inserts into the gimbal. Your sticks are removable, just as mine are.
2016-11-8
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

chippie Posted at 2016-11-6 15:22
@Gary Mac, I understand the way of thinking of course. I was simply pointing out that a DJI EMPLOYEE ...

No problem and my comment wasn't meant as any kind of attack.  Just pointing out the way I think and I'm sure others do.

On a separate note:  The new manual says to keep them straight?  I'm laughing my butt off now.  I'll be curious to see how DJI ultimately responds.  

Can't wait to get mine and give them a tug...
2016-11-8
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Gary Mac Posted at 2016-11-9 04:10
No problem and my comment wasn't meant as any kind of attack.  Just pointing out the way I think a ...

LOL Yeah I know! I did post that above. I really wish they would all get on the same page though!

I have a feeling they have simply added that due to the issues some have experienced with the calibration and offset numbers. However this issue happens out of the box and from past experience having them offset should not make any difference to that. I think they are just being overly cautious...

Still think your sticks will be removable though (think they all are just people are too scared to try a little more force), just need a little more force. Try to pinch them off with the side of your thumb and forefinger, so pinch away from the top of the controller whilst pressing down on the top of it with the outside of the thumb and forefinger.
2016-11-9
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

chippie Posted at 2016-11-9 04:08
LOL Yeah I know! I did post that above. I really wish they would all get on the same page though!

Yep, I was thinking the same thing.  You must also have one of those "mechanical minds" and understand things like leverage, etc.  It's good to have that skill.  

Now, to get my Mavic... still hoping it will ship next month, but I have absolutely nothing to back it up except "hope".
2016-11-9
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Gary Mac Posted at 2016-11-9 15:05
Yep, I was thinking the same thing.  You must also have one of those "mechanical minds" and unders ...

Fingers crossed (no leverage lol) for you buddy!
2016-11-9
Use props
EZTropical
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303734 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

CANCEL AND GET THE PHANTOM !!
2016-11-9
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

Just a side note, but I read on another forum that if you are able to remove your sticks, they fit nicely in the cell phone holders while it's collapsed.
2016-11-13
Use props
Hexspeed
lvl.1
United States

Attended the "factory" live flight session at MicroCenter Columbus yesterday. The controller the rep was using had removable joy sticks (he emphasized this as a selling feature in the demo) -- and, yes, he stored them in the cell phone holder.  I bought my Mavic from the stock DJI/MicroCenter brought in for the sessions. Unfortunately, my joysticks are most definitely NOT removable. I applied as much leverage at prying up on the joysticks while holding the base as you can get without using tools to no avail.  There is no way these things are coming out. Under bright lights and magnification, mine appear to be a single molded piece.  Unfortunately, I had an out-of-town family deal that prevented me from heading back over to talk with the rep who was still in Columbus today.  Ultimately, this is not a deal breaker for me -- I'm looking at some of the suggestions posted above for protecting the joysticks when in the travel bag.
2016-11-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was reading this thread and decided to say my 2cs  .. based on my new Mavic just received on Nov 14, 2016. The sticks are solid one-piece and the center yoke is made from plastic. I really would rather have this style of remote. It is strong and has no possibility of the sticks popping out during operation. I see no reason to remove the sticks during transporting the Mavic. It is small enough to fit into a pack or handbag. I added some of my photos of my remote from the latest production.

Rich

IMG_8088.JPG IMG_8089.JPG IMG_8090.JPG IMG_8091.JPG
2016-11-19
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

fansad747428 Posted at 2016-11-9 10:00
Guys: all of these pictures are of the same thing. There aren't two versions. The sticks are removab ...

I'm not sure what pictures you're looking at but there are definitely two different styles of sticks present in the pictures here. Mine are not dark silver as you stated, but are completely black. They seem to be molded as one piece with the round part of the controller gimbal that they attach to.
2016-11-19
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

giusis00 Posted at 2016-11-4 22:14
In the original DJI bac? How they are disposed? And the controller sticks doesn't touch anything ( ...

That's the way I pack RC as well.
20161120_080839.jpg

or with pipe insulation form
20161120_093902.jpg

20161120_093609.jpg

2016-11-20
Use props
Great_Cookie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 391512 ft
Malaysia

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-20 16:16
That's the way I pack RC as well.

Kudos to you for fitting them both in.

Seriously, I was wondering how the heck to fit the Mavic with the RC in the DJI bag. I tried on the first day I took delivery and then gave up when i couldn't figure out how to store everything with the RC sticks in the neutral position.
2016-11-20
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

I'm reviving this because I finally received my Mavic and the answer is YES, the control sticks are removable.  

Mine were tight, but I used my thumb and finger in a "rolling/prying" fashion and they both came out.  I only re-install them about half way so that they are easier to get back out for storage.

To further prove they are removable and some are just pressed in tighter than others, I checked my second Mavic when it arrived and they came out MUCH easier.  (Yes, I have two, long story and it is not for sale.)

Removing them has ZERO effect on the function of the magnetic sensor in the controller.  I can move my RC stick gimbals WITHOUT sticks and the app shows appropriate response.  So, there is no fear of not getting them re-installed far enough to operate the sensor, etc.  Only fear should be not getting them in far enough and they fall out while flying, although that would be hard to accomplish, since you are pushing down with your thumbs.

So, to put this to bed... they ARE removable if you give them enough encouragement.  I have decided to remove mine for storage to save space.  You may decide to leave them installed.  Both are perfectly acceptable.  

Gary
2016-12-8
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

If you don't think you have removable sticks or prefer to not remove them. You do have options. These are all over eBay and Amazon now...

2016-12-8
Use props
fansf7779e8a
New

United States

Just to add to peoples confusion - but I feel people should have the right information -

With the sticks out I can nicely fit the mavic in a pelican 1150!
2016-12-20
Use props
Panamera 5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43917 ft
Canada

fansa7eabb8f Posted at 2016-11-6 03:27
For those of you concerned about storing the sticks in a neutral position, I simply Cut a rectangular piece of the battery shipping foam to the size of the remote, cut two small holes at the stick position and store the remote with the foam piece (sticks inserted into the holes). The foam keeps the sticks from moving. Works perfectly and keeps the sticks in place because they can't move independently.

Thank you for the idea, it works perfectly. I think the bag is perfect, I will take some pictures, I put everything in my bag car charger, home charger, 4 way block charger,4 Batteries, extra props, bank adapter, extra cords.... you get the point. You just need to know where to put everything. Also I tried to get mine out, they don't come out, but the foam works.
2017-1-6
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules