Question for DJI rep - how do you travle with your Mavic at airport?
2195 15 2016-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Travelling Dron
lvl.2

How do you travel with your drones do you carry it with you in your bag, does security at airport give you problems, what do you say to them if they ask what it is? or do you keep it in a equipment set of luggage? just curious how people board a plane with something like mavic (its so new right now so this info is probably not out there but one of the DJI reps might know)
2016-10-28
Use props
smanchester
lvl.2
Flight distance : 127188 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the most part, its pretty simple to travel with your drone as either checked or carry on assuming it fits in the overhead. Obviously with the Mavic it will easily be carried on. However, the bigger issue is the battery/s. You may not check Lithium batteries. They must be in your carry on and its a good idea to cover the terminals with electrical tape or carry them in LiPo bags to prevent metal coming in contact with the contacts. Many airlines will also check to see that they have less than a full charge or are primarily depleted. Also, if asked you should also be using your drone for "fun". Never for commercial purposes unless you're prepared to go that route. Always best to check with the specific airline prior to flying.
2016-10-28
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

smanchester Posted at 2016-10-29 01:51
For the most part, its pretty simple to travel with your drone as either checked or carry on assumin ...

I've been wondering about this issue as well.  With the Mavic being so small, it may be just a matter of time before some Yahoo starts one up inside a plane and ruins future carry-ons for the rest of us.  Think about those long overnight flights where alcohol consumption is involved.  If you remember, we never had to remove our shoes at the security check-ins until the Shoe Bomber ruined it for all of us.
2016-10-29
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4

Petroboy Posted at 2016-10-29 18:59
I've been wondering about this issue as well.  With the Mavic being so small, it may be just a mat ...

The airline will confiscate and hold your propellers while the flight is in progress.
2016-10-29
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>

I think that fear of someone starting up a drone on the plane is a bit extreme, people are stupid but there's no way someone would attempt to do that.
2016-10-29
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

Per any air regulations, you must carry the batteries in your carry-on as they are LIPO batteries.
2016-10-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I board the plane and use tracking mode, the mavic flys along side the plane. ( make sure your in sport mode)
2016-10-29
Use props
Kuzz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136900 ft

Petroboy Posted at 2016-10-29 18:59
I've been wondering about this issue as well.  With the Mavic being so small, it may be just a mat ...

Did this guy really just compare us having to take our shoes off because of terrorist activities at the airport to someone starting up a drone on a plane?
2016-10-29
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

As an aside, I was pleased to find the TSA types don't worry about the blades on a drone (but my tiny 2 inch scissors in my toiletries bag is a weapon of (tiny) destruction?
2016-10-29
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-30 15:28
As an aside, I was pleased to find the TSA types don't worry about the blades on a drone (but my tin ...

that's actually an interesting presumption. Mavic could potentially be used as a weapon right?
2016-10-30
Use props
Gray Volk
lvl.2
United States

leostark Posted at 2016-10-30 06:27
that's actually an interesting presumption. Mavic could potentially be used as a weapon right?

Coca can was used to down Russian plane in Egypt. Mavic is bigger, a lot can be hidden inside. Nobody checks functionality,
2016-10-30
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

Gray Volk Posted at 2016-10-30 18:55
Coca can was used to down Russian plane in Egypt. Mavic is bigger, a lot can be hidden inside. Nob ...

yeah hiding something inside is one thing but I was thinking more on the lines of holding it in your hands and throttling up, I'm pretty sure people will be scared to come closer.
2016-10-30
Use props
Gray Volk
lvl.2
United States

leostark Posted at 2016-10-30 07:51
yeah hiding something inside is one thing but I was thinking more on the lines of holding it in yo ...

Just try it somewhere near BestBuy, they will start jumping trying to grab it from the air
2016-10-30
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly with many DJI craft all the time.  I have flown from China to the US with an Inspire in the belly of the air craft, no lipos.  I do fly regularly with I1, P2, P3, P4 and now the Mavic, all within the cabin.  I have never had any issues with TSA or the CSA at the gate.
2016-10-30
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

It's not a presumption; airport security staff don't concern themselves with the plastic blades.

Considering how they are (pretending to be) obsessively paranoid about anything that could be used as a weapon I was quite relieved to hear from others, and then see for myself, that they were just not interested in my mini weedwhacker.

Not too much of a problem with the Phantom range because they take up all your hand luggage, so you will be having checked luggage anyway, so you could always put the blades in there. The Mavic however is small enough to stick inside your normal carry-on.

(I just remembered, it also has little tiny fold-up blades that are even less of a weapon. I still wouldn't be surprised if the American TSA were to confiscate them though. Reason #5939 I'll never visit America)
2016-10-30
Use props
fansf906a12b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 406585 ft
United States

I've flown all over the place (Europe, USA, Hong kong, Philippines) with my P4 in my rucksack type bag with 3 extra batteries. Never had a problem Batteries need to be less than 100Wh p4 are 80ish I think. Exiting the UK I had my whole bag turfed out, they did not really care.  
2016-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules