Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Birdog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 664521 ft
United States

I read this article which is almot 2 years old now

http://londonist.com/2015/01/how-to-win-the-game-of-drones

Flying in royal parks ? Thought I had read something that says that isnt allowed ? I live next door to the Royal Botanic Gardens which would be a pretty good spot to practice.

I put a little blue cross where I live, right under the heathrow flight path (landing planes cast a shodow on my bathroom window), red areas are no fly, except in the article above they suggest going to a park, the parks in the article are all in the red area and are royal parks, so are they allowed or not ?
The parks are usually fairly busy so that would stop me flying but if I was to go along at 6am during summer there wouldnt be many people and the sun would be up, so is it okay then ?

Am I allowed to fly in the blue area? The weight is below 7KG, and as long as I stick to the height, line of sight, avoiding crowded areas, keeping distance from buildings and people rule and staying as far from the airport as possible ?

Will the drone not allow me to fly in the red area ? blue areas ? I think I saw there is an automatic nofly built into software ?

I have hunted through the forum, and I have hunted through google.

Cheers

2016-10-29
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

If you look at the DJI Fly-Safe page HERE, you can see all the DJI no-fly zones that are built into the Mavic / Phantom.
Now you should also look at the NOTAM page HERE for any CAA no-fly zones and restricted airspace details.
And after all that you need to check for local byelaws regarding model flying in general.
Good luck

flysafe

flysafe

notam

notam
2016-10-29
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Going back to your original question (sorry got side-tracked with the maps)
Yes its ok to fly in the Blue areas in your map, following the under 400ft and other rules you already know about.
The only areas that will physically stop you flying are in the DJI fly-safe map.
2016-10-29
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2016-10-29 14:20
Going back to your original question (sorry got side-tracked with the maps)
Yes its ok to fly in the ...

Cheers very much John.

I have been looking at this site mostly but just wanted to clarify the rules before I get myself into too much trouble.
NoFlyDrones

A bit more googling (what did we do before google) and I have found my practice field, and only 10 mins away on the motorbike.

Do you know if there are any clubs ? expereinced pilots offering advice ?
2016-10-29
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

Birdog Posted at 2016-10-29 21:41
Cheers very much John.

I have been looking at this site mostly but just wanted to clarify the rule ...

Hi Birddog

I use to fly at the Richmond Park flying field a lot. It's a great little practice area but there are some rules. There's a notice board there that runs through them (see below). Long story short if you fly it safely your'll been fine. Try and avoid the weekends if possible as it can get busy with ramblers, dog walkers and other flyers.

Enjoy, I have and plan to again in the near future.
IMG_2997.jpg
2016-10-29
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

As for clubs, I joined the BFMA as a country member (means I don't need to belong to any one club) as none of the local to me clubs seem that active, but I do get the benefit of public liability insurance.
You can see the club map HERE There are probably other clubs around, Google will be your friend again.
2016-10-29
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
United States

HFI Posted at 2016-10-29 15:09
Hi Birddog

I use to fly at the Richmond Park flying field a lot. It's a great little practice area ...

Cheers for that.

No flying after 1pm ?

And insurance ?
2016-10-29
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Birdog Posted at 2016-10-29 22:22
Cheers for that.

No flying after 1pm ?

The 1 pm rule is only for gas/petrol powered aircrafts (noise)

If you get a BMFA membership (£17 right now) you'll be covered for insurance
2016-10-29
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
United States

HFI Posted at 2016-10-29 15:35
The 1 pm rule is only for gas/petrol powered aircrafts (noise)

If you get a BMFA membership (£17 ...

Thats what I thought, no engines after 1pm, but we have motors, but didnt want to start out by been a cheeky s**t.

Cheers very much for the info everyone, see you all there sometime maybe/
2016-10-29
Use props
Revs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73514 ft
United Kingdom

This is a useful link for UK rules.. https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... ones/The-Dronecode/
2016-10-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

"All model aircraft must be line controlled" Isn't that going to be a problem? That was in the days before r/c was common or affordable. I assume you intend to fly the Mavic with a piece of string wrapped around one of the legs!
2016-10-29
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
United States

rick39 Posted at 2016-10-29 16:39
"All model aircraft must be line controlled" Isn't that going to be a problem? That was in the days  ...

I wondered what that meant.
My first petrol plane was string controlled, stood in the middle and it flew around me, I nearly passed out getting so dizzy.

2016-10-29
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>

Yep the sign is a little outdated. I've never seen anyone there with a line controlled aircraft. It seems more dangerous possible wrapping the cord around someone's neck
2016-10-29
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
United States

HFI Posted at 2016-10-29 19:25
Yep the sign is a little outdated. I've never seen anyone there with a kind controlled aircraft. It  ...

It was incredibly funny, I was maybe 12 or 13 at the time so my dad wanted to test it first, make sure it was safe but he filled the fuel tank, he was spinning round in circles for quite a while and was getting tired so he started to pull it in closer to try and catch it  ................................. but pulling it closed reduced the radius and meant he was spinning faster.

Eventually he crashed the plane and collapsed in a heap.

25 years later and it still comes up sometimes and have a laugh.

Plane was fine and I only ever quarter filled it.
2016-10-29
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
United States

Sorry to bring this up again.

So I have spent sometime at Richmond Park and am slowly getting the hang of it but I want to see more.

So tonight I figured out the combination to the padlock on the roof access door in my building, so now I have roof access and the view is pretty good.

On noflydrones the map below is pretty much entirely blue, so nothing over 7KG, line of sight, altitude and keeping distance rule.

If I take off and go straight to 100m height will I be okay ? I`m keeping distance, its not crowded, I`ll have line of sight.
Im the star in the center

Or am I asking for trouble ?
2016-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules