Biggest joke in the history of pre-orders?
9485 197 2016-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Birdog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 664521 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-29 22:55
Also, I was leaving this thread open unless it got out of hand.
All of you please read the forum rul ...

Got this mail, its the standard copy/paste reply.

Something that hasnt happened before though is the order date of the 30th, I ordered on the 29th (UK).

I dont think it means anything, in order for the first come, first serve (yeah) they would have to reference everything back to one timezone.
Hopefully it doesnt mean they will add an additional week to my order, according to the clever people on this site it is looking more like the end of November though
2016-10-30
Use props
Camolin
lvl.2

rtazz17 Posted at 2016-10-30 08:54
So you want a bribe and all is good again?
Love your morals

A bribe would require an act of my part. What has DJI to gain from me? They already got my money and know that I won't cancel since there is nothing better on the market. And they sure as hell have enough orders to replace me.

And it's not about morals, it's about practicable solutions.
I want to be told "Sorry man, we got overwhelmed with orders and we want to say thanks for staying with us."
I won't say I'll never buy from DJI again, but if there is no recompensation for my money & lost trust, I sure as hell won't preorder a DJI product again.

Best
Camo
2016-10-30
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

Camolin Posted at 2016-10-30 10:21
A bribe would require an act of my part. What has DJI to gain from me? They already got my money a ...

Next time don't pre-order from DJI themselves. Pre-order from one of their many reputable resellers. Most of them, such as Amazon UK, do actually already have stock of the Mavic ready to ship. Just waiting for a particular day to do so. Like DJI, they've set queues, just much shorter ones. DJI have their own much much larger queue of customers to take care of and they're failing really bad at doing that at the moment, slowly dispatching orders throughout each day. Ordering from DJI directly from today onwards will have you waiting a very long time, that's for sure. We're talking an estimated dispatch date of around December.
2016-10-30
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

brianmlevy@me.c Posted at 2016-10-30 03:30
They are NOT shipping early October orders! There are people who ordered on 27th and 28th who are  ...

They definitely are, people have ordered in October and received their drones.  Amazingly, DJI does not automatically ship to forum members first.  Also, it's possible to ship September and October orders at the same time.  Also, this exact same thing happens at every product launch with DJi .  New people order from DJI for the first time.  DJI pushes back shipping, all the new people act like their favorite pet died.  People who have gone through this before say "hey, calm down, it's a new company".  All the new people start yelling how everybody works for DJI.  Thousands of drones ship.  A few people crash theirs and logically come to the support forum for advice.  A post is made talking about how the new product is so unsafe because out of the thousands shipped, there are now a couple people with problems.  We all giggle and go fly our drones.

This happens every.  single.  time.

Im sure DJI wants to invest into a system to track orders and update people on an individual basis, but you have to pick your battles - R&D is hella expensive.
2016-10-30
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

method007 Posted at 2016-10-30 08:13
Im sure DJI wants to invest into a system to track orders and update people on an individual basis, but you have to pick your battles - R&D is hella expensive.

A tech company in 2016 that produces some of the best autonomous consumer grade drones can't figure out customer service, communication, and order fulfillment?

Most companies, even 'young' ones that have been around for 10 years like DJI, function just fine in these areas.

2016-10-30
Use props
JakeS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7287871 ft
  • >>>
United States

and not just to DJI. I can't remember which iPhone version it was but Apple was sold out in minutes and took a month or two to get caught up because demand was so high. The fact is that even if you are good at estimating what demand will be and have a great supply chain you can still get hit by the unexpected.
2016-10-30
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

There is ZERO chance that DJI got an iphone-level number of orders within the first day of release.   Drones are expensive niche products.   Even though we are in an echo chamber on this forum and think the world all wants Mavics, the truth is that NOBODY that I know has ordered one except me outside of this forum.   They did probably get 100K worth of orders for them... or maybe even approaching 200K at this point.    The first couple days after a launch?   Not even close.   It's NICHE product.   

The bottom line is that they artificially pushed up the release date to undercut GoPro and we are all the collateral damage.    They didn't give a **** about you, me, or how long we would have to wait.   All they cared about was weakening GoPro's launch.   
2016-10-30
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-30 02:01
Because I've seen plenty of examples much worse.
This is just a minor delay with a bunch of 12-yea ...

This is a MONTH LONG minor delay for 24 hours worth of orders of a NICHE product.    It's inexcusable and it's time YOU stop letting multi million dollar companies off the hook just because you are a fan.
I'm sure they are enjoying counting their American profits while you play the part of defending their honor though.
2016-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-10-30 15:16
This is a MONTH LONG minor delay for 24 hours worth of orders of a NICHE product.    It's inexcusa ...

In fairness to date it's less than two weeks delay ,shipment 15th 5 days delivery 20th, so if I ordered on the 27th and I was first and I don't have it , it becomes 10 days late today, and I think it's fair to say most guys here who ordered on 27th with exception of a few have received  there Mavics,
I think with dji not being transparent regarding orders is not helpful.
But it is also wrong for people here to exaggerate just to get there point across. (Leave that sort of thing to dji)
2016-10-30
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

http://www.wetalkuav.com/dji-mavic-delays/
2016-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JakeS Posted at 2016-10-30 15:02
and not just to DJI. I can't remember which iPhone version it was but Apple was sold out in minutes  ...

iPhone 7 was delayed all over the world still waiting for it here in Ireland ..
2016-10-30
Use props
bufischer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2585 ft

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-10-30 23:15
There is ZERO chance that DJI got an iphone-level number of orders within the first day of release.  ...

This is exactly what might have been underestimated:  Drones are not a "niche product" anymore!  And I think, that the Mavic is exactly THE DRONE a lot of people have been waiting for for a long time!  (Me too!  earning 3 Phantoms already)  The Mavic has even better technical specs and camera like the Phantom-4 but is small and compact, that it can be taken on any tour.   I think a lot of Phantom pilots will go for the Mavic and a lot of people that have waited for other compact copters see, that the Mavic is absolutely THE BEST option at this moment!  -  
So the number of orders will have overwelmed DJI I guess.  

B.t.w.:  I have been looking for something compact years ago and invested in the "Airdog" and after investing my money I had to wait 2 years for delivery.  And when delivery started, it was a mess. Nobody knew what was going on for months.... When I got it, some of the initially promised "gadgets" had been taken off due to financial problems, the dog costs more than the Mavic-combo and comes without a camera and without a remote controle...
I've sold the Airdog through right away  without even unpacking it and are happily looking forward for the Mavic now...  with all the time it takes to get it...  Now I know I will get what I want!

2016-10-30
Use props
firsttimeflyer
lvl.1

i ordered my mavic pro on 10/11 so i can expect a January release date?  i may have to cancel and settle for a lesser drone as the shots i need of the fall season will be gone by then.  oh well maybe i'll just have to wait for the mavic 2
2016-10-30
Use props
aaronspence
lvl.2

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-30 16:31
iPhone 7 was delayed all over the world still waiting for it here in Ireland ..

Still waiting for mine also, Plus JB. So appreciate DJI aren't the only ones with terrible service. A game of which arrives first, Mavic or Iphone 7
2016-10-30
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-30 16:20

The answer is very clear:
1. The DJI Mavic got many more pre-orders than any other drone to date (probably).
How does this have an impact on first come, first serve ?
2. For many people, this is their first drone, and they don’t really know what’s going on in the industry.
True.
Have all orders for Sept 27th been fulfilled ?
Im bored of this now, can you please send me my order, or at least give me an idea of when it will arrive. Will it be this year ?
2016-10-30
Use props
Wasabi6
lvl.3
United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-30 09:20

Haha the FIRST thing that came to mind when reading this article was, "great job DJI. They probably are reminding those who have received free drones to give them some positive press. Whoever wrote the article probably means well, but to me seems like a DJI employee masquerading as a online journalist.

Never even heard of this website....

But whatever, I gave them a free click, or a cookie electronically speaking...

Nothing new here...

Yawn...
2016-10-30
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
United States

Also, saying "everybody does this" is no excuse !!
2016-10-30
Use props
JakeS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7287871 ft
  • >>>
United States

Niche products are something I have dealt with before and drones barely fit into that category anymore. I have a niche product that is one of 226 in the world. I waited 4.5 years for it. When I put my name on the list I was told to expect 1 year to 18months wait. Was it worth it? TOTALLY. Did I hate the waiting yes I did. Speaking of delays the drone world is hardly new to them. How long ago was the funding campaign for Lily started? May of 2015 I think and they raised 34 million in capital? Now they are projecting 2017 release? Just food for thought. I think DJI could be handling this better by just communicating more, but then that isn't up to me or Ken or Ed. Hopefully DJI will get this straightened out soon and get caught up.
How many other drone startups have shipped a few products and then gone under keeping their customers money? DJI at least has a good track record of delivering good products and great tech.
2016-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wasabi6 Posted at 2016-10-30 17:02
Haha the FIRST thing that came to mind when reading this article was, "great job DJI. They probabl ...

Some articles you have no problem believing ie gizmod rag, and then three are others you are totally disbelieving of , you a bit of an enigma . Lol
2016-10-30
Use props
stealthvic.yaho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just another pre-order victim here. I don't mind waiting, but silence from DJI regarding any sort of estimate is really bad for business. I ordered 9/29 btw.
It's fully within DJI's capability to supply delivery estimates. This is a very similar situation to the Oculus Rift preorders (another "niche" product). However, Oculus did everyone a favor and supplied everyone with a general estimated delivery window.. and it made everyone put their pitchforks away.

Mind you, that was a pre-order in which they didn't charge your CC until it shipped. So DJI is not doing anyone a favor right now.
2016-10-30
Use props
Babblin5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1558 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-29 15:45
I totally understand, but to be clear they said they would start shipping on the 15th. Yes they st ...

That's kind of funny, because this (file a PayPal dispute) is exactly what I did on the 25th, and so far, DJI has not responded to PayPal. DJI said, on their order page "shipping October 15", not "shipping begins October 15". They did however, send me an email stating that they had my order on hold, and that if I cancelled my dispute, it would be back in line again (I ordered at 02:00 UTC Sept. 28). My response was, "the dispute is on failure to deliver. You can remedy this by either shipping my order, or alternatively, supply me with a firm shipping date". Their response, "We can't provide you with a firm shipping date. But if you cancel your dispute, I promise to personally follow up with an email when I know it will ship." I responded that, again, this dispute was on a failure to deliver, and that their remedy was to prove me wrong by delivering." That was three days ago, and still no response to me or PayPal.
2016-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Babblin5 Posted at 2016-10-30 17:40
That's kind of funny, because this (file a PayPal dispute) is exactly what I did on the 25th, and  ...

If they don't respond to PayPal or you don't cancel dispute , PayPal will refund automatically this usually takes 3/4 days.
2016-10-30
Use props
Babblin5
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-30 10:58
If they don't respond to PayPal or you don't cancel dispute , PayPal will refund automatically thi ...

Yeah, it's 10 days. Thank you for being civil in your response Hallmark! I appreciate that.
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Babblin5 Posted at 2016-10-31 01:40
That's kind of funny, because this (file a PayPal dispute) is exactly what I did on the 25th, and  ...

I am sorry about that, maybe just get the refund and wait until it's available in stores.
2016-10-30
Use props
Babblin5
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-30 11:09
I am sorry about that, maybe just get the refund and wait until it's available in stores.

That's okay, Ken! I don't mind, really. It's funny how people (others on this forum, not you) assign meaning to my posts that just aren't there. I've never been angry about it or upset. Flabbergasted? Yeah...I'll admit to that... ;)
2016-10-30
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

st pauli Posted at 2016-10-30 09:52
A tech company in 2016 that produces some of the best autonomous consumer grade drones can't figure ...

Actually, I haven't had an issue with their communication. I've had prompt responses to my emails.  You say "order fullfilment" like it doesn't cost millions of dollars to have a system setup to track individual orders.  
2016-10-30
Use props
paull
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Totally agree with Method007.

Comunication has been great from DJI.

2016-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

st pauli Posted at 2016-10-30 14:52
A tech company in 2016 that produces some of the best autonomous consumer grade drones can't figure ...

I think to be fair it's a tech company thing.

2016-10-30
Use props
Rick A
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3566 ft

Wow, I signed on to this forum and others to gain some knowledge about drones, flying, tips, experiences, better photography, etc. With the outrage and ripping of flesh that I see over back orders has made me realize that that knowledge may not be gained here. What a significant amount of whining and snivelling, very much a first world problem. When you are purchasing a new product that is being shipped globally, you should be able to understand that you may not be getting one on one service or immediate responses to your 17th inquiry asking when the order you made two weeks after everyone else on the planet submitted their order.
You ordered the product believing it to be superior to anything else currently on the market. It's technology takes it light years ahead of anything else being sold in that price range or well above it. As a consumer, you should agree that you made a good choice.
DJI did underestimate the market response for a very significant step forward of technology into an existing proven market. Their sales and marketing staff have been overwhelmed. With the existing resources, they have been undoubtedly pushing to increase production which may include fine tuning the product as it goes into full production mode. They are having a problem keeping up with the demand.
Most of you can help by either accepting the fact that shipping is delayed and you can expect to receive the product a few weeks later than expected, you still get a superior product in a pretty good time line, especially considering there is nothing else that has been released or will be released within the near future that can match it.
As a consumer, you likely have 3 choices.. wait patiently for delivery a few weeks beyond what you expected, cancel your order and order an alternative and probably inferior product, or continue to whine and snivel which gets you no where and does nothing to improve the situation. Please choose one or two.
2016-10-30
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-30 11:00
In fairness to date it's less than two weeks delay ,shipment 15th 5 days delivery 20th, so if I or ...

I was speaking to the fact that it's been 2 weeks after release for people who ordered on the 27th, 28th, Oct 1st, etc.  (early orders).    Everyone else has been pushing dates back to the end of Nov, middle of Dec, etc.   

That's a significant delay on a product that is not a mass market product.
2016-10-30
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
United States

bufischer Posted at 2016-10-30 11:41
This is exactly what might have been underestimated:  Drones are not a "niche product" anymore!  An ...

If it wasn't niche, then out of the hundreds of people I work with there would be someone among them even aware of what it was.   They aren't.   

It's still a niche market.   We better hope it stays niche or there will be a ton more regulations to go with what we already have.
2016-10-30
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-30 12:09
Some articles you have no problem believing ie gizmod rag, and then three are others you are total ...

Gizmodo is a reputable tech blog.   

This garbage linked above is not.   It's probably a website tossed up by a DJI employee.
2016-10-30
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
United States

Says the guy coming here and reading multiple pages into a thread.   Don't like the complaints, then shove off and read threads about video quality or something.
2016-10-30
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
United States

I think I see what's going on here now.   Just in the past 24 hours we've had numerous new forum members pop up talking about how we should stop complaining, about how DJI has great communication, how we are acting childish, how awesome things are, etc.    These people materialized into thin air just suddenly.   

101 in the company playbook:   when you are getting ripped so badly in your forums that the media is picking up on it -- send in some paid posters to start talking about how great things are, criticizing legitimate forum posters who are angry, and generally start painting a rosy view of things.    This is Damage Control 101.    Full swing mode.
2016-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-10-30 22:10
I was speaking to the fact that it's been 2 weeks after release for people who ordered on the 27t ...

Sorry but you said this is a month long delay it's actually 10 days, you can only speculate on what's going to happen next.
Apple announced the release of there Apple Watch in 2014 it was on there web site 3 months later pre order six months wait and that was for about 10 countries in the world,
Also it is a well known fact that niche products as you refer to it, will always take much longer to arrive at market, that's why there called niche, although a company supposed to have hundreds of millions in revenue I would not refer to as niche.
2016-10-30
Use props
ecarpo
lvl.3

China

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-30 01:04
China has more than a billion people , it is a very low wage economy, almost certain it's not a st ...

They were definitely short of factory staff, at least in the beginning. They had a banner up outside the factory advertising for a lot of workers and a lot of available hours. I am sure its not the most technical work, but its unlikely they can just walk in and do the job, there would be some period of time to train the workers as well.
2016-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-10-30 22:13
Gizmodo is a reputable tech blog.   

This garbage linked above is not.   It's probably a website  ...

That's your opinion, mine is it is a rag.
2016-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ecarpo@hotmail. Posted at 2016-10-30 22:24
They were definitely short of factory staff, at least in the beginning. They had a banner up outsi ...

I agree sorry if I sounded flippant, wasn't my intention, well at least it's true if there advertising for staff, then they must have a serious amount of orders..
2016-10-30
Use props
Wasabi6
lvl.3
United States

Rick A Posted at 2016-10-30 14:20
Wow, I signed on to this forum and others to gain some knowledge about drones, flying, tips, experie ...

Doesn't look like anyone cares whatever it is you were ranting about lol u typed a bunch but no one read it haha
2016-10-30
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Reasons why this has been one worst pre orders yet:

- Money taken since the order is placed
- No regular comms on progress or realistic timelines
- Unresponsive support / dismissive
- Leaked irresponsible emails sent to distributors / retailers
- No clear and regular updates from the management.
2016-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules