Odd behaviors?
1265 9 2016-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
csader
lvl.1

The Mavic is my first high end drone. I've had a few lower-end and kit racing drones, but nothing with as much automation built in.

I've been flying the past few days and have noticed behaviors that I didn't expect. I'd like to get thoughts from folks who have Mavics on if they are experiencing similar things.

1. Slight Drifting - I'm experiencing some slight drift, which the mavic seems to correct most times, but it doesn't seem as "rock solid stable" while hovering as I've seen others. Light breeze or no breeze usually, not strong wind when I'm seeing this.

2. Flying over water - I flew over a small creek for the first time today. I did an auto-take-off from the rocky bank next to the creek, then flew straight out over the water without messing with the altitude (roughly 3.9ft the whole time). As soon as the mavic got over the water, it adjusted it's altitude up another 2 feet or so, almost hitting a tree above it. When I tried moving it back down to roughly 3.9ft, it staid there for a second, then tried to raise altitude again.

Anyone else noticing this? Is it normal and I'm just expecting too much from the mavic?
2016-10-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not a big fan of auto take off and auto landing especially with a new product. Wait for firmware updates, they should straitened out the issues your having.
2016-10-29
Use props
spope
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Also lots of info/post on flying over water, with ground sensor enabled
2016-10-29
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

think it's because of the VPS (or whatever they call it in the Mavic), did you try disabling it and flying the Mavic?
2016-10-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

A lot of experience flyers of dji seem to recommend turning off VPS for flying low over water, this might correct that problem. With P4 drifting or loosing altitude was common when we first got them they were later sorted out with firmware upgrades,
Thanks for posting, I don't have mine yet, but it's a real help to know what to look out for..
2016-10-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

The downward sensor limitations are addressed in the manual.As far as the slight drift, what were you flying over and that could have also been from the limitations of the sensors.
Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 9.52.43 AM.png
2016-10-29
Use props
RAVEN7
lvl.2
United States

Hi Ken,
Have not received my Mavic (pre-ordered Oct. 1st) but am an expirenced pilot, flying CP Heli's . If the mavic starts to do some unwanted movements as stated above would you recommend switching to sport mode or would this not change unwanted behavior? Thanks for your time.
2016-10-29
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

RAVEN7 Posted at 2016-10-29 10:17
Hi Ken,
Have not received my Mavic (pre-ordered Oct. 1st) but am an expirenced pilot, flying CP Hel ...

Good luck, Raven.  I've been asking THAT EXACT QUESTION for weeks now.  You will NOT get a definitive answer.
2016-10-29
Use props
FlashGJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 293379 ft

RAVEN7 Posted at 2016-10-30 01:17
Hi Ken,
Have not received my Mavic (pre-ordered Oct. 1st) but am an expirenced pilot, flying CP Hel ...

I don't have mine yet to test, but since the manual (as Ken posted above) states that flying low over water or other reflective surfaces can negatively affect VPS, then switching to Sports Mode, which does turn off VPS, should stop the erratic behavior. This would of course, hypothetically speaking, only work if  VPS is in fact what is causing the problem. Be mindful that Optical Avoidance would now be off also.

I do look forward to DJIs official statement on this, especially since switching to ATTI mode is currently not an option.
2016-10-29
Use props
jfxjlm
lvl.2

United States

Mine also does not seem to be as steady as I've seen in video reviews. It's about as stable seemingly as my P3A. It has tiny little shakes and a soft drift in all directions. Maybe due to flying it in my hotel room and it doesn't like the floor pattern ? Turning off front cameras fixed my erratic responses from the sticks.
2016-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules