go pro karma vs mavic pro for snowboarding
1893 14 2016-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
danielskowron
lvl.1

United States

anyone getting the mavic for snowboarding? im getting reall upset about this whole shipping issue, but i dont know if i should cancel my order and go with the karma. I like the features of the mavic, hoping the active track can keep up while i go ride. Will the mavic even fly well in cold weather? help pleaseeee
2016-10-29
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft

I'm not sure AT can track on a decline (and descend using sensors), wonder if someone can provide a conclusive answer.
2016-10-29
Use props
s.judge
lvl.2

New Zealand

does karma do any tracking at all, it has no follow modes ?
2016-10-29
Use props
ctonyperry
lvl.2

United States

Karma has no  follow mode. Not sure about active track but if you just use your phone as the controller over wifi, it should be able to track your phone gps. Probably more reliable. Someone should test both methods.
2016-10-29
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

I can't help with the Karma features but I saw one today at BB and it is NOT a small drone. In ready to fly mode it has a large footprint, same when folded for that matter.
Not bashing it and I'm sure owners will like it as packaged but if you want something to stuff in a small sack this is not the one.
2016-10-29
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

According to Tahoe Ed in 1 of these 1000s of threads I've read, ActiveTrack's TERRAIN FOLLOW can track you on varying elevation.  It AUTOMATICALLY increases altitude to maintain a constant ABOVE GROUND LEVEL (AGL), but won't go back down if YOU happen to descend.  But you can add THROTTLE DOWN and it will decrease altitude, but YOU are doing this, not Mavic doing it autonomously (the descending part).  

Someone else already asked a similar question and determined there is not a 100% autonomous way to totally track you DOWN a mountain (and not hit evergreens the whole way down, also).  
So, I could see how you set terrain follow to the minimum altitude (which is still too high on all the modes) and just keep the throttle down held down & it'll stay at that minimum altitude up or down ground changes.
2016-10-29
Use props
JakeS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7287871 ft
  • >>>
United States

FYI if you are still thinking about getting the GoPro Karma. It is easily 3 times the size of Mavic and has no tracking features as of yet. I'm sure they are working hard on a way to make this happen but it might be a while. What really struck me was the size difference. Karma is foldable yes but even folded up you could almost fit 3 Mavics on the same space. Thats a big size difference. Then there is the flight time difference 20min vs 27min and the range difference and the list goes on...
2016-10-29
Use props
eastyamg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 406585 ft
United States

Does Gopro have a log mode?  I'd certainly want to post correct if focusing in a snow based scenario. D-log works a treat for this.
2016-10-30
Use props
danielskowron
lvl.1

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-29 17:43
According to Tahoe Ed in 1 of these 1000s of threads I've read, ActiveTrack's TERRAIN FOLLOW can tra ...

damn that kinda sucks! i was hoping it would go down with you... i keep trying to find videos on youtube and its impossible to find other than a person running in circles. i guess ill be the person who posts the first video of it failing or working lol
2016-10-30
Use props
skyrider420
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-30
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

danielskowron Posted at 2016-10-30 10:07
damn that kinda sucks! i was hoping it would go down with you... i keep trying to find videos on y ...

Exactly!  The only videos you'll find are "look at me, look at me" with the Mavic INCHES from tree branches FOR NO REASON!  HAHAHA

It will be great once Mavic is put thru the autonomous modes in REAL LIFE situations of 'stuff' that's interesting.

Perhaps there will be an update at some point.  After all, Mavic DOES have downward sensors, yet it doesn't adjust downward during "TERRAIN FOLLOW."  Call it "NAP-OF-THE-EARTH" mode.
2016-10-30
Use props
1badtrain
lvl.2

I went to a local Best Buy yesterday to buy a Phantom 4 to use while I'm waiting for my Mavic and they had a Karma in stock. I ended up walking out with the Karma since I plan on selling it when the Mavic comes in. This is my first quad and I've only got 2 flights on it so far due to it getting dark. From everything I've read though, there is no active track. You can set points that it will follow but that's about it so far. I'll try and get more info today if I get a chance to mess with it more. I did notice however, that it doesn't hover in place as well as the videos show of the Mavic.
2016-10-30
Use props
JakeS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7287871 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is a pretty good review of Tye karma vs mavic.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=S0EdnoMR5K8
2016-10-30
Use props
MattN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104495 ft
United States

I went with the Mavic combo pack.. The karma is nowhere near as good as the Mavic.. Now I just have to hope for some good snow..lol
2016-10-30
Use props
BobABooey
lvl.2

JakeS Posted at 2016-10-31 03:23
Here is a pretty good review of Tye karma vs mavic.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=S0EdnoMR5K8 ...

wow that video really makes the Karma look bad
2016-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules