Charger Temperature
3814 12 2015-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Anyone's else's charger get super hot?

How do you keep yours from going into nuclear meltdown?
I use a desktop fan while it's charging the battery which keeps it temp right down.

Im thinking of making a more efficient self coolling charging station.
2015-2-5
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you charging the Controller and Battery at the same time? If you are therein lies the problem. DJI states not to do both at the same time. The charger will get warm while you are charging either one. If you put something metal underneath it to let the air circulate around it that will help also.
2015-2-5
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Most electronics can deal with 140 deg F or less.
You cannot hold an object that is 140 deg F without experiencing pain.
Mine get warm, but not as hot as my iPad charger...
2015-2-5
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-2-5 22:26
Are you charging the Controller and Battery at the same time? If you are therein lies the problem. D ...
Are you charging the Controller and Battery at the same time?

I've had my Inspire since Jan...Been on forum every chance i can get since it was up And are aware that Charging both Remote and Battery at same time will overheat the charger...But this is Only the Inspires battery on it's own and the charger gets so hot it smells like melting plastic...But it could also be these chargers were not designed for hot environments like Australia's can be at this time of year.
I'm not a noob on this subject and are only thinking* I could use a more cooler running charger than the stock unit.
2015-2-5
Use props
metalios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine gets very hot as well. Not too hot to hold, but hot.
2015-2-5
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Captain Obvious Posted at 2015-2-6 09:06
I've had my Inspire since Jan...Been on forum every chance i can get since it was up And are aware ...

I understand, there may be an issue? Wish I was in Australia about now. Going down to minus 4 tonight. Do you have a second charger to compare with? You are in a warm environment so it may seem really hot to you? Mine gets really warm but no oder. It is so nice and warm I like to put my hands on it to warm them up. I would think that if it was drawing an excessive amount of current that some sort of overload protection would kick in?
2015-2-5
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Do you have a second charger to compare with?

Nope no second charger...Bugger Can we swap climates for a while? So over this temp between 35*C ~ 40*C give or take a few
Once the warranty runs out  I may just crack open the old charger and place the guts of it in a special cooling box add heat sinks too it with PC fans too keep it cool and make it last much longer.
For the price we paid for these units it sure would have been nice if they used a better charger other than the current design.
How ever a desktop fan blowing accross it keeps it cool for the now
2015-2-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Captain Obvious Posted at 2015-2-6 09:06
I've had my Inspire since Jan...Been on forum every chance i can get since it was up And are aware ...

Find a cooler place if possible to recharge the batt, if the room temp is say 80+ degrees I'd think it would make a difference for the charger to dicipate the heat it's making through its charging process , think I remember my phantom 2 charger doing this a couple times when it was 80 + degrees last summer but it didn't smell of a meltdown , charge in a fire safe spot check on the temp , use a fan , or how bout a cooler of some kind , ice chest burried outside a foot or so in the ground , basement area below grade ?
2015-2-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Also if you've just flown your bird and popped the battery out and it's a little warm to the touch ..
You should give it a few to cool to room temp before throwing a charge to it , somthing I've learned doing rc stuff .
2015-2-5
Use props
cypress6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176936 ft
United States

My charger also got hot during charging of the flight battery. I used a left over piece of soapstone I had sitting around as a heat sink.
I was also having some issues with it not starting the charge cycle when connected to the battery or controller right away.
Now today 2/5  the charger is dead, won't charge at all with only 3 charge cycles on it, flight battery 2 times and the controller once.
RMA to DJI LA tomorrow so they can determine if they will fix it or replace it.
2015-2-5
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

My charger also got hot during charging of the flight battery. I used a left over piece of soapstone I had sitting around as a heat sink.

Yes...That's what I am talking about...How hot the charger gets charging the flight battery alone even. Do'nt think they sourced the bill of materials out too well on this one. The craft itself is awesome but too many shortcuts were made I think.
2015-2-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-2-6 12:19
Also if you've just flown your bird and popped the battery out and it's a little warm to the touch . ...

Most chargers will sense the heat (current draw) and shut down when the battery id fully charged. You should not charge any battery until the battery and charge are at room temp.
2015-2-6
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

Well my house is about 68 degrees and my charger runs about 104 degrees when charging the battery and 82 degrees when charging the controller. Those temps don't seem hateful to me. Anyone getting anything different?

Mike
2015-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules