Bad Jello / Rolling Shutter when pointing gimbal level
6006 24 2016-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ben
lvl.1
United States

Hi all,

Recently got my Mavic Pro. I'm a long time quad user (FPV racing, and also owned Phantoms in the past).

I've been unable to get any footage without jello/rolling shutter effects when flying with the gimbal perfectly level. As soon as I point the gimbal downwards this issue disappears. Trying to understand if its something specific to my Mavic, or if this is just how they all are due to the small size.

I've attached two videos in different locations/conditions/days to show the issue. Filmed in both 4K 24 and 30fps. It was low wind in both shots (never exceeding 10mph). Shot in normal mode, no settings changed (ie. exp, gain, etc).

For obvious troubleshooting:

• Gimbal clamp removed
  • Swapped props
  • Ensured gimbal is dangling freely, not touching anything
  • Calibrated gimbal

Are other people experiencing this, or should I contact DJI support?

2016-10-29
Use props
skyrider420
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-29
Use props
Peel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10876 ft
Canada

Any chance this might be a shutter speed issue? As you tilt the gimbal up to horizontal you're getting a lot more bright sky, and if your shutter speed is set to auto it might be going to very fast numbers, close to 1/8000 of a second.  I understand that this can add to the Jell-O effect. The best way to lower that shutter speed down to something reasonable is to use a neutral density filter. But of course those haven't been released yet for the Mavic
2016-10-29
Use props
ben
lvl.1
United States

Peel Posted at 2016-10-29 22:35
Any chance this might be a shutter speed issue? As you tilt the gimbal up to horizontal you're gett ...

I suppose that's possible, although why would tilting down just a few degrees make this stop, and why does it only happen at exactly 0 tilt on the gimbal ? :\ It definitely feels like a mechanical/vibration issue.

I never ran into this issue with a Phantom. I believe you can manually lower the shutter speed on the Mavic, with the wheel on the right side of the controller.
I can try that out tomorrow just to be sure, in conjunction with turning on the 30º upward tilt on the gimbal and seeing if tilting upward has any effect.
2016-10-29
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

looks to me that there's an issue with the gimbal, the movements are quite apparent to the extent that I'm almost sure it has nothing to do with shutter speed.
2016-10-30
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

leostark Posted at 2016-10-30 03:32
looks to me that there's an issue with the gimbal, the movements are quite apparent to the extent th ...

i think so as well. trying to work with DJI support on this issue now
2016-10-30
Use props
MattN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104495 ft
United States

I have seen a couple videos with this problem.. So they might be working on a fix.. But definitely hit them up.
2016-10-30
Use props
gmccurdy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft

There are ND filters available for the Mavic from Polar Pro now that might help this.

https://www.polarprofilters.com/ ... ers-and-accessories

Don't know how to balance out the folding props, but might look into that too.
2016-10-30
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're seemingly the third person that has reported this issue in a very short period of time. YIKES. I really hope this is an isolated problem.
2016-10-30
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

Mir Posted at 2016-10-30 19:36
You're seemingly the third person that has reported this issue in a very short period of time. YIKES ...

I flew again today in much darker weather, and still the same issue, just as bad. Really don't think its a ND/shutter issue. NEVER saw issues like this with the Phantom 4. I also switched all 4 props :\
DJI seemed to be suggesting flying in ANY sort of wind would cause this. I'm concerned this is how all Mavics will be, but hoping its just mine.
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

lordnibbler Posted at 2016-10-31 10:59
I flew again today in much darker weather, and still the same issue, just as bad. Really don't thin ...

Does it do it in other resolution/frame rates and also if you are not in Sport Mode ?
2016-10-30
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-30 21:07
Does it do it in other resolution/frame rates and also if you are not in Sport Mode ?

Yes, saw the same issue in 24 FPS and 30FPS 4K. Have not tried lower resolutions, since I did not buy the quad for lower resolution footage in mind.

It happens in both regular GPS mode and sport mode, as demonstrated by the above videos.
2016-10-30
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

@DJI-Ken since you are the only person at DJI who will reply to me, can you please tell me how to return my defective mavic for a full refund? DJI support is utterly useless, and I'm just sitting here with a mavic that can't take a clear shot.
2016-11-1
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>

Peel Posted at 2016-10-30 13:35
Any chance this might be a shutter speed issue? As you tilt the gimbal up to horizontal you're gett ...

We have released some ND filters that could help out with rolling shutter / Jello:

PolarPro DJI Mavic Filters

If you are still getting the same amount of rolling shutter at 1/60th then ND's would not be the solution to your problem.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions,

-Jeff

2016-11-1
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2016-11-1 08:34
We have released some ND filters that will help out with rolling shutter / Jello:

PolarPro DJI M ...

No, what would help is if DJI would reply to me and replace my defective mavic. there's no way they shipped a product that has jello in every shot with the gimbal pointed straight, or else I would see that issue in the hundreds of test clips on youtube.
2016-11-1
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>

lordnibbler Posted at 2016-11-1 23:39
No, what would help is if DJI would reply to me and replace my defective mavic. there's no way the ...

Yah, I think you said you already tested it in low light, if your shutter was at 1/60th and you were sill getting rolling shutter than ND's would be no help to your problem

Best of luck,

-Jeff
2016-11-1
Use props
Peel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10876 ft
United States

Did those of you with this problem see this? It sounds exactly like your problem when the gimbal vibrates only when pointing up, but is fine when pointing downward at any angle. The guy on this site has a fix.
http://mavicpilots.com/threads/m ... l-need-to-read.765/

EDIT: Try this link
2016-11-1
Use props
KulaHI
lvl.1

United States

Peel Posted at 2016-11-1 07:33
Did those of you with this problem see this? It sounds exactly like your problem when the gimbal vib ...

URL is truncated.
2016-11-1
Use props
fans3521c905
lvl.2

United States

I think it's this thread
Definitely could be the cause of the issue.
2016-11-1
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Here is the good link: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/mavic-gimbal-issue-you-all-need-to-read.765/
2016-11-1
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

Yes, that is NOT the issue with mine. I posted on that thread as well.
2016-11-1
Use props
ferrari-458-ut
lvl.2

United States

Man so many different issues with this drone and not many people have it.  I am seriously considering cancelling and buying a used phantom 4 because I really don't need a ultra small portable drone since I can fly from my home.
But I've been waiting so long and got in on 9/28 so pretty early so I feel like I need to stick it out...
2016-11-1
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

I really wish I'd kept my Phantom 4. I'd recommend it for now, until this stuff all gets sorted out. DJI support being useless as well, minus DJI Ken who has been replying.
2016-11-1
Use props
yogibotics
lvl.2

United States

Hey Ben, I'm having the exact same jello problem with my Mavic. I've had the aircraft for about a week. Tried everything;

- latest firmware
- IMU calibration
- confirmed correct seating of gimbal

Did you have any luck getting your issue resolved? Please share your findings.
2016-12-17
Use props
FivosVas
New

Cyprus

i've also been having issues with the drone.   The mavic is also 1 day old and  the gimbal seems to be stuttering.  

Look the below footages. There are 2 issues with the 1 day old Mavic

1.  Blur bottom right corner.  Alot of people are having issues with this one
2. Distortion on the image. This is a gimbal issue . As you can see from the footage, when the drone is still it does   distortion of horizontal lines

Any help would be appreciated

My drone is 1 day old.  I can always send it back to the authorised retailed of my town. I just want an official person of DJI to guide me whats the best solution for this.

2017-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules