Stable at 2-3m above ground, wobbly at 30m+... is it wind?
820 7 2016-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328602 ft
Canada

Hi guys, I just need some confirmation that I'm not going crazy here.
I've had my Phantom 4 for a couple months now, and all has been GREAT. However, my last two flights have been a bit shaky...
When I launch the drone and hover 2-3m above the ground, all is stable and solid... but when I take it up to about 20-50m+, I notice the Phantom is doing "donuts" and generally drifting. Is this squirrely behaviour due to wind, or something related to GPS? Having only a little bit of seasonal experience (majority of my flights have been in sunny weather until now).At one point I was noticing the LED's coming in and out of the shot as I was trying to return home. First time I've experienced the drone to "feel" pretty unstable.. I didn't notice much wind on the ground aside from the odd light breeze, but was also in an area with trees... Might have been more wind higher up?

Anyone have a similar experience?

For context, I'm located near Vancouver, Canada.

2016-10-29
Use props
davemajchrzak
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

I flew mine in about 15-20mph wind the other day at about 200 feet and it hovered perfectly. However today I had my Phantom about 5 feet in the air and it kept starting to sink and move left and right a little bit, I restarted RC and quad and it seemed to have fixed it. Sounds like you have either a GPS or satellite issue but I could be wrong.
2016-10-29
Use props
Bond
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1364534 ft
United States

Have you calibrated your IMU?
2016-10-29
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Is it the same area were you normally fly?, normally wind doesn't affect the drone like you have explained, if it did you would defiantly feel the wind while you are flying!
2016-10-29
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Canada

It occurred where i usually fly. I will try calibrating the IMU!
2016-10-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

How about the GPS signal? please try to calibrate IMU firstly then compass in a location without interference.
And you could change another location to test whether it's the same case.
2016-10-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Remember that VPS is operational for the first 10m above ground, I would expect the P4 to be near rock solid up to that height. Above that there will likely be some movement, depending on the accuracy of the GPS/GLONASS in 'P mode'.

Edit:- A full good calibration as previously suggested may help fix things. With all connected and powered up you could get some idea of the state of the IMU by looking at the readings 'Main Controller Settings'/'Advanced Settings'/'Sensors'.
2016-10-30
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Canada

Calibration worked! Thanks everyone.

Also that totally makes sense about the VPS.
2016-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules