DJI Mavic Pro washed out/blurry right side?
38068 212 2016-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eagle_one
lvl.2
Flight distance : 129442 ft
Canada

mcd0nald Posted at 2017-2-23 20:43
wow....only last Tue?
where are you located? if that is in Australia....I am afraid my replacement is from that 'batch" again!

Feb 13 sent to DJI USA
Feb 21 arrived at DJI
Feb 28 repair done, flight test done...now waiting for quality
Mar ??  ship back to me... in Canada

2017-2-27
Use props
Mizamook
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1121519 ft
  • >>>
United States

In same boat.  Brand new unit /.  Blurry on right side.

Just like my Z3.  Very bad blur on right side.

Must be same half blind tech calibrating these things.

Thanks DJI.  You have confirmed, sadly, what I tell people is not true>> Chines made means bad quality.  I argue with that ... but, this is (again) proving me wrong.

RMA pending.  Along with two faulty Osmo batteries and the Z3  ... great.  I love you too.
Mavic Blurry Right Side.jpg
2017-2-28
Use props
fansaf8ed514
New

Singapore

Hey all, very interesting to read different experiences. I just got my mavic today, (ordered on 25/02/17), and I have the same problem on the right side.

Also, straight lines are pretty sharp like even the buildings in the far left distance. However, ALL the trees are fuzzy with that paint-brush look. Weird. Anyone know why?

Anyway I don't plan to raise the issue having seen the outcomes of others on the forum.. Below is a VLC screen grab of a 4k video with slight colour correction.

2017-3-2
Use props
Drab
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46946 ft
Russia

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-3-5
Use props
Drab
lvl.1
Russia

Maybe this fix problem for someone ...
(but did not work for me) (((
2017-3-5
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

OHHHH NOOOO!  just recieved mine March 3rd 2017 ordered direct from DJI ... Sure enough it's got the same blurry side issue.
Sounds like replacement only means you won't have your drone for a month, and you'll just get another one with same or worse problem . . .  OH DJI how disappointed I am in thee
2017-3-6
Use props
Patrick G
lvl.2
France

Patrick G Posted at 2017-2-20 22:37
So perhaps it is a parallelism problem between sensor and lens, as suggested.
Not sure DJI is testing replacement unit before shipping

I just sent back my mavic because of soft right corner. Let's wait, fingers crossed...
2017-3-6
Use props
eagle_one
lvl.2
Canada

Got my drone back today (actually a brand new one) .. from initial indoor test appears the camera is good, but have to do some outdoor focus testing to make sure.
2017-3-8
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3717 ft
Australia

my replacement got soft image too on right side.....not very blurry like my first one, but DJI found that is not soft
funny thing, i can't see softness with raw image file, but it is obvious the softness in movie video format....

i sent email to dji@support.com but they actually came back nothing wrong ....where i am not really but they still ask me to take photo or video during sunny day where it s a bit hard at the moment in Australia
2017-3-8
Use props
Patrick G
lvl.2
France

If mine comes back with the same problem, I ask a full refund.
I spend 1620€ in my mavic...
2017-3-8
Use props
Drab
lvl.1
Russia

+5 C temp
Right bottom corner blurry and unfocused
https://yadi.sk/i/2fq1Couy3FHP9D
https://yadi.sk/i/s8RLKhwA3FLM9W[url=https://yadi.sk/i/yLtYavzW3FLMEf]https://yadi.sk/i/yLtYavzW3FLMEf[/url]

P.S.
Why with such a huge number of defective devices DJI does not recall sales?
2017-3-9
Use props
eagle_one
lvl.2
Canada

Happy to report I got the brand new replacement drone and the camera is much better than before.  Everything seems to be in focus now.  
2017-3-9
Use props
Patrick G
lvl.2
France

Happy for you ;)

So it exists. I hope others here will have the same good surprise, including myself ^^
2017-3-9
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Canada

seems like quite a high number are effected . . . tons of people don't even realise they have the issue, I started messaging people who uploaded onto youtube, pointing out the blurriness, several noticed but didn't think too much of it, most didn't notice till I pointed it out . . . . I'm guessing 7 out of 10 mavic owners who uploaded on youtube are effected . . . I'm shocked and saddened, I sent my mavic back for refund, and now as much as I love it, I'm hesitant ordering another one until DJI makes some kind of public acknowledgement of the issue at hand . . .  
2017-3-10
Use props
Drab
lvl.1
Russia

Acidsnow Posted at 2017-3-10 06:43
seems like quite a high number are effected . . . tons of people don't even realise they have the issue, I started messaging people who uploaded onto youtube, pointing out the blurriness, several noticed but didn't think too much of it, most didn't notice till I pointed it out . . . . I'm guessing 7 out of 10 mavic owners who uploaded on youtube are effected . . . I'm shocked and saddened, I sent my mavic back for refund, and now as much as I love it, I'm hesitant ordering another one until DJI makes some kind of public acknowledgement of the issue at hand . . .

Agree with you!
2017-3-10
Use props
FlyingCaballero
lvl.1

Italy

I just made 2 flights with my mavic and so far didn't have any problems and i hope to keep it this way; that said, and looking at the published videos that people have problems.....well, look good for my untrained eye and wonder if people expecting way too much from that tiny camera.
2017-3-10
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Canada

FlyingCaballero Posted at 2017-3-10 11:33
I just made 2 flights with my mavic and so far didn't have any problems and i hope to keep it this way; that said, and looking at the published videos that people have problems.....well, look good for my untrained eye and wonder if people expecting way too much from that tiny camera.

I've been using a 4k monitor . . . maybe the ones not noticing are using something less?  what resolution are you watching on?
2017-3-10
Use props
FlyingCaballero
lvl.1

Italy

Acidsnow Posted at 2017-3-10 11:58
I've been using a 4k monitor . . . maybe the ones not noticing are using something less?  what resolution are you watching on?

Using my macbook 12' screen
2017-3-10
Use props
Drab
lvl.1
Russia

FlyingCaballero Posted at 2017-3-10 11:33

People expect not too much from the camera, but uniform sharpness over the frame field. At least in one corner and another - to be the same.
2017-3-11
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3717 ft
Australia

my mavic replacement, centre focus point will get softer image on left side
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jblxwcvqcb63h4/DJI_0019.MOV?dl=0

then, i found sweet spot where i could get all my image sharp
it's manual tap focus in bottom of screen (left a bit)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gga1kj67ivije6b/DJI_0020.MOV?dl=0

need to download both files and see difference
2017-3-11
Use props
Drab
lvl.1
Russia

2017-3-11
Use props
Drab
lvl.1
Russia

Right corner. Focus on center by press C2 button on remote.

https://yadi.sk/i/jphNMqxg3FbNZN
2017-3-13
Use props
poliakov
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94639 ft
United States

I started another thread about this where I tried to find more info. I started using "peak focus threshold" to at least understand where the blur is before I take the shot.
See last couple comments at http://forum.dji.com/thread-87429-1-1.html
Anyone else notice that it tends to get worse when the weather is colder?
2017-3-14
Use props
fanse1b9e810
New
France

Hey guys, had same matter as you this afternoon, terrible blur on left side. At home i made several gymbal calibration test but all failed. Then i tried again to take pics and blur seemed to have desapeared. See pic before / after.

Blur left side

Blur left side

Not blur

Not blur

2017-3-16
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

poliakov Posted at 2017-3-14 12:25
I started another thread about this where I tried to find more info. I started using "peak focus threshold" to at least understand where the blur is before I take the shot.
See last couple comments at http://forum.dji.com/thread-87429-1-1.html
Anyone else notice that it tends to get worse when the weather is colder?

I started doing the same thing. I noticed that when i play with the manual slider and I have peak focus threshold on I can see the red lines move from one side to the other. That being said I submitted a case with DJI and they already sent me a return shipping label to send it in to them. Took them 24 hours from when I contacted them.
2017-3-16
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

fanse1b9e810 Posted at 2017-3-16 13:48
Hey guys, had same matter as you this afternoon, terrible blur on left side. At home i made several gymbal calibration test but all failed. Then i tried again to take pics and blur seemed to have desapeared. See pic before / after.
[view_image][view_image]

the first picture you posted the top left corner appears very blurry. The second photo though looks pretty good.
2017-3-16
Use props
dzigakaiser
lvl.1
Germany

Hullo boys and girls,
I absolved my second rather short flight today and observed the behaviour of the blur in the DNG files and one short video. I notice that I don't always have one specific side which is out of focus or just blurred completely but sometimes there are blurry spots somewhere random in the frame or along a vertical line in the picture. I was wondering if there is an internal software stabilizer at work in addition to the gimbal stabilization which might affect sharpness in different areas of the frame. I will upload a few examples. It was very windy today (not too much during the first flight) and I assume the pictures that show an angled horizon are taken during strong winds.
picture below - First photo taken in RAW, conversion to JPG without anything applied. Sufficiently sharp throughout center and both sides but if you look the the center right tree you can see a blurry vertical going over the facade and ends on the grass. (Also shows beautiful red hotspot in the center I yet hope to remove with an automated Lightroom or Camera Raw workflow...)

picture below - Same shoot, clearly losing sharpness on the left side. Not a focus issue as it goes from near to far, could assume an alignment issue between lens and sensor but wouldn't it always appear on one side then?

picture below - Todays windy, rather low light shoot made me wonder what the issue could be. Here you see an example of arather sharp (besides noise) left side and some of the center with some buildings slightly more blurry, then starting to get real blurry from center towards the right side and surprisingly enough: far right side get some sharpness back on the background. Does that not look like the strong wind and shakiness might've caused some stabilizing problem?

picture below - And a small addition, same facade as yesterdays shooting which was mainly sharp. Clear left side blur. Again, wind bursts.

Does anyone have any more thoughts about the blur issue? Can this still be a misalignment for faulty camera? Or is it more likely that the gimbal might have some problems with stronger wind or cooler temperatures? Or is it a software issue?

I appreciate any thoughts on this!

Cheers!
2017-3-18
Use props
parjanya_holtz
New

Sweden

Ok, so I'm glad I came across this forum as I've experienced the same issue (at first thought I was too stupid to use the new focus system. Anyway, drone ordered sometime at the end of January and received at the beginning of March. I also talk about this toward the end of my review (and you can clearly see it in the test footage I shot in Copenhagen). Has anyone else recently replaced/repaired their drone through DJI successfully, or did the recalibration work for anyone?
2017-3-23
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Canada

Ok so I ordered in Feb, right side blurry, dji chat says defective send it back. I was still within 7 days so I sent back asked for refund. Ordered new one in March, just recieved, took it out, and left side looked sharp the way it should be.... Although upon further investigation, I now see the left side on this brand new unit is doing the same thing. Ugh! I'm just going to keep it now.... I don't feel so bad, looks like almost 8 out of 10 videos on YouTube have blurry left or right. Only about 2 out of 10 are good.
2017-3-23
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

dzigakaiser Posted at 2017-3-18 12:45
Hullo boys and girls,
I absolved my second rather short flight today and observed the behaviour of the blur in the DNG files and one short video. I notice that I don't always have one specific side which is out of focus or just blurred completely but sometimes there are blurry spots somewhere random in the frame or along a vertical line in the picture. I was wondering if there is an internal software stabilizer at work in addition to the gimbal stabilization which might affect sharpness in different areas of the frame. I will upload a few examples. It was very windy today (not too much during the first flight) and I assume the pictures that show an angled horizon are taken during strong winds.
picture below - First photo taken in RAW, conversion to JPG without anything applied. Sufficiently sharp throughout center and both sides but if you look the the center right tree you can see a blurry vertical going over the facade and ends on the grass. (Also shows beautiful red hotspot in the center I yet hope to remove with an automated Lightroom or Camera Raw workflow...)

"Does anyone have any more thoughts about the blur issue? Can this still be a misalignment for faulty camera? Or is it more likely that the gimbal might have some problems with stronger wind or cooler temperatures? Or is it a software issue?"

By processes of elimination is has to be an optical problem. No way that it has anything to do with the gimbal as the gimbal just affects movements, not blur (unless its vibration blur across the whole frame), and software would also result in a similar whole-frame blur.
2017-3-23
Use props
SLiWooDy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would like to know why some customers who are sending back their faulty drones due to this issue are receiving brand new replacements and others are receiving refurbished units>?
2017-3-24
Use props
dzigakaiser
lvl.1
Germany

geofox784 Posted at 2017-3-23 21:06
"Does anyone have any more thoughts about the blur issue? Can this still be a misalignment for faulty camera? Or is it more likely that the gimbal might have some problems with stronger wind or cooler temperatures? Or is it a software issue?"

By processes of elimination is has to be an optical problem. No way that it has anything to do with the gimbal as the gimbal just affects movements, not blur (unless its vibration blur across the whole frame), and software would also result in a similar whole-frame blur.

I strapped the Mavic onto a tripod at home and all test photos show sharpness throughout the whole image (also videos rarely have this blur phenomenom for me). Do you still think it is an optical issue? I know that some software stabilizing techniques can result in spots of blur where the software tried to distort/realign the area with the rest of the image or attempted a blend. But I also would be surprised if the Mavic would do something like this internally when shooting RAWs. I'll keep an eye on it but considering the "success" stories here, I think I will live with this and not wait weeks or months for a new drone just to see it is the same or worse
2017-3-24
Use props
parjanya_holtz
New

Sweden

dzigakaiser Posted at 2017-3-24 01:39
I strapped the Mavic onto a tripod at home and all test photos show sharpness throughout the whole image (also videos rarely have this blur phenomenom for me). Do you still think it is an optical issue? I know that some software stabilizing techniques can result in spots of blur where the software tried to distort/realign the area with the rest of the image or attempted a blend. But I also would be surprised if the Mavic would do something like this internally when shooting RAWs. I'll keep an eye on it but considering the "success" stories here, I think I will live with this and not wait weeks or months for a new drone just to see it is the same or worse

ugh, this sucks, because it kind of means companies like DJI can get away with bullsh*t like this. Almost feel obligated to send it back just to send them a clear message.
2017-3-24
Use props
Patrick G
lvl.2
France

My mavic has been repaired after a week in netherlands. In fact serial number is new, so it is a new mavic. Ups just taking it today. Will know in 4 or 5 days if the problem is fixed or not...
2017-3-24
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

dzigakaiser Posted at 2017-3-24 01:39

When you were not flying it and took the clear pictures how far were the objects?

You'se may be a different problem than the optical problem most are having. The optical problem results in pictures that are not clear on the extremes of the frame and repeatable, not the center.

Did you have the clear cover on?
2017-3-24
Use props
Patrick G
lvl.2
France

Just go mine back from NL.
It is a new one.

And it has exactly the same issue...

I am upset.

I have contacted the chat to ask for a refund and they refused because we are later than 14 days.
What???

I did not realize the first days I had a problem. I did when I try to look on larger screens like iPad...

I have written to the support directly, hoping they will accept a refund.
2017-3-28
Use props
Drab
lvl.1
Russia

Patrick G Posted at 2017-3-28 09:29
It is a new one.

It's very unpleasant to hear such news. (((
We, with colleagues of the Russian dji-forum also sent their drones. We wait...
2017-3-28
Use props
fansfed420e7
New
Belgium

Same issue for me.
Brand new Mavic, first flights during the week-end and blurry lower right corner in video & photos.
I am so disappointed not having heard this apparently known issue before buying.
2017-3-28
Use props
mildim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 981558 ft
Switzerland

fansfed420e7 Posted at 2017-3-28 12:03
Same issue for me.
Brand new Mavic, first flights during the week-end and blurry lower right corner in video & photos.
I am so disappointed not having heard this apparently known issue before buying.

Can you post a video or a photo please ?
2017-3-28
Use props
mildim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 981558 ft
Switzerland

Patrick G Posted at 2017-3-28 09:29
It is a new one.

Sad to hear
2017-3-28
Use props