IMU Warm-Up Turn Off?
1124 7 2016-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yac_Attack
lvl.2
Flight distance : 704426 ft
United States

A few months ago, I updated the firmware of my Phantom 4 (I don't remember what version) and ever since the drone has had to be kept still at start-up to warm-up the IMU. This did not happen before the update, and I hadn't ever had IMU/gimbal problems with the predvious firmware versions. This new requirement is very annoying and limiting. I can no longer fly from small boats or quickly get in the air to get a shot.

Is there a way to turn this off?
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

To clarify, is the unit updated to the latest firmware now? Could you verify what firmware version you currently have? Have you tried performing a cold IMU calibration to help alleviate the issue? The warm up message cannot be turned off.
2016-10-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The IMU warm up has been there as long as I can remember on the P4. But how long it takes to warm up does vary.

It only needs to be kept still for a calibration as far as I know, not the warm up period.
If you want to reduce the warm up time then calibrate the IMU on a level surface, making sure that the aircraft has not been in use for about half an hour. And it seems that if it can be cooled down a bit (outside, air conditioned room etc) then this IMU warm up period will reduce. I left mine outside for about half an hour (ambient about 8 degrees Centigrade), then calibrated. IMU warm up takes less than 40 seconds, good time to check the RTH height and Home Position are set correctly etc.
2016-10-31
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-10-31 17:03
The IMU warm up has been there as long as I can remember on the P4. But how long it takes to warm up ...

" I left mine outside for about half an hour (ambient about 8 degrees Centigrade), then calibrated. IMU warm up takes less than 40 seconds"
I've not noticed any warm up time since I calibrated mine in the fridge.   Half an hour turned off in the fridge to cool it down, turn it on and calibrate, then wait for it to warm up properly so that it doesn't suffer from condensation when you take it out.
2016-10-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2016-10-31 17:28
" I left mine outside for about half an hour (ambient about 8 degrees Centigrade), then calibrated ...

Thanks for the heads up. That sounds like a plan maybe with the warm up period. My only thought would be that moisture will start to condense as soon as it comes out of fridge.
I tend not to be in too much of a hurry anyway, by the time I get other bits checked it's ready to go.
2016-10-31
Use props
Chazzm
lvl.2

United States

Strange you mentioned that because I've had warm up issues as well, used to be I could go out turn everything on and other then gps locks take right off, now it's like 2 minutes warm up before I can take off, I tried all of the suggestions but still warm up time? This is in 70-90 degree weather, unless it's just doing a post test on itself? Hasn't caused any issues except having to wait
2016-11-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Chazzm Posted at 2016-11-2 16:16
Strange you mentioned that because I've had warm up issues as well, used to be I could go out turn e ...

As mentioned by the previous posters, you need to cool down your aircraft in a cold place then perform an IMU calibration, then it will take less time to warm up when you first switch the aircraft on.
2016-11-1
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You will find that as temps get colder, the IMU initialisation will take longer. This also happens if you climb higher altitudes. You best bet is to do the IMU cold and quick as possible.
But don't stick it in freezer as it may cause condensation.
2016-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules