Finally got Follow-me work with my S7 Edge
1744 13 2016-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
freeze_sun
lvl.2
Flight distance : 742093 ft

[11/23/2016]

I finally got Mavic's Follow-me mode work with my Samsung S7 Edge. The trick is DISABLE PHONE'S FAST CHARGING. I believe fast charging requires some additional communication between charger and phone which screws up the data transfer between the remote and DJI app.

BUT there are two things which are still a little bit bothering.
- After I made follow-me mode work, I wanted to double confirm it is because of the fast charging. I enabled fast charging again and start follow-me mode again. The drone started moving but IN A TOTALLY OPPSITE DIRECTION. I tried to cancel the mode and get back the control after a few seconds. Fortunately, I was in a open area and the drone didn't hit anything. I disabled fast charging setting on my S7 and follow-me worked again. I may do another test sometime this weekend. But will be super careful.
- Even Follow-me mode works, but the drone doesn't move smoothly. You can see the drone move-stop-move-stop even you walk continuously. The gimbal can stabilize the video though.

[original post]
Has anyone tried Mavic follow-me or terrian mode? I couldn't get it working. My phone didn't show anything wrong. But the drone would only hover without moving. Not sure what I did wrong. Is there any detail instruction about those two modes or any tutorial video?

BTW, phone GPS signal is strong. I am using Samsung S7 edge. Other intelligent fly modes work fine.

2016-10-30
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please help clarify the firmware version of the aircraft? and APP is the latest one, right?
Have you tried another mobile device which is in DJI recommended devices list?
If no improvement, please record a short video for further evaluation.
2016-10-30
Use props
freeze_sun
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-10-31 15:03
Would you please help clarify the firmware version of the aircraft? and APP is the latest one, right ...

I tested with iphone 6 and everything worked fine. I think it is about phone compatibility issue. Seems like phone gps info cannot be obtained by the controller properly. My phone is samsung s7 edge. Is it in your recommended list? Any way i can get around this issue?
2016-10-31
Use props
jfxjlm
lvl.2

United States

Terrain mode does not work for me either. Return to home just lands as well
2016-10-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

freeze_sun Posted at 2016-11-1 09:51
I tested with iphone 6 and everything worked fine. I think it is about phone compatibility issue.  ...

Samsung S7 edge is not in DJI recommended devices list.
Since iPhone is working fine with the mode, that means the aircraft functions well.
2016-10-31
Use props
freeze_sun
lvl.2

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-1 11:46
Samsung S7 edge is not in DJI recommended devices list.
Since iPhone is working fine with the mod ...

Do you have the full list of recommended phones?
2016-10-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

freeze_sun Posted at 2016-11-1 13:18
Do you have the full list of recommended phones?

Yes, you could check it on DJI official website: http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs
Here is the details:
IOS: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
2016-10-31
Use props
freeze_sun
lvl.2

Thanks! Hope S7 Edge can be on the list soon.
2016-10-31
Use props
FreezeSun
lvl.2
United States

Updated the original post with my solution.
2016-11-23
Use props
hedfan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21470 ft
United Kingdom

FreezeSun Posted at 2016-11-24 06:26
Updated the original post with my solution.

Hi, I am just about to upgrade my phone (take advantage of Black Friday) and was going to get a Samsung S7 Edge (they have been reduced by £70 today). I originally was going to get the iphone 6S plus but the Samsung is now £200 cheaper than a back level version of an iphone which isnt even waterproof.

Then this morning I read your post and that pointed me to several others about the Mavic not working with the S7 Edge... so I now have a dilemna... S7 or 6S, S7 or 6S!  Having no experience of Mavics or S7s are these 'bugs' usually sorted out quickly by Samsung or DJI or both?
2016-11-24
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

....Would you please help clarify the firmware version of the aircraft? and APP is the latest one, right?

Hey Natalia I also have a S7 edge so I just gave Follow-Me a crack and it works for me. (with caveats)
I HAVE Fast charging enabled so that is not the culprit.

I am on
App 3.1.0
Version 01.02.0900
Remote 01.02.0900

First attempt I was below the required 10-120m window. So I climbed above 10m and it worked fine. Followed me along a snaking footpath for 100m or so. I stopped it using the remote control Red Pause button, just for kicks. Stopped instantly and hovered. All good. So remember the Red button if it misbehaves.
On the second attempt it reported the S7 GPS signal too weak. So I opened an app called GPS Test to ensure the s7 was polling its GPS and checked my position on Google maps. Then I  tried again and folow me worked again.  Only issue I see is as freeze_sun mentioned...

"Follow-me mode works, but the drone doesn't move smoothly. You can see the drone move-stop-move-stop even you walk continuously. The gimbal can stabilize the video though."

I would descibe it thus: The aircraft pitches up/dn through about 5 degrees along the axis upon which the phone moves.  So if I walk towards aircraft with the camera/nose is facing me, it pitches longitudinally on about a 1/2 second cycle. If I yaw the mavic around 90 deg so it has its camera pointin to my left ear as I walk forwards, it pitches laterally or rolls to the same amplitude.  
Odd, like something in the position signal stream needs to be dampened.

I have the DJI GO log of the flight & I took DJI Assitant records if you want. Dunno if that has enough info for you to see the pitching behaviour. It was visually very obvious so if the IMU records attitude you will definately see it.
2016-11-24
Use props
FreezeSun
lvl.2
United States

Logger Posted at 2016-11-24 01:00
....Would you please help clarify the firmware version of the aircraft? and APP is the latest one, r ...

All versions are the samr as yours. I know someone's s7 works with mavic perfectly from day one, some does not, including myself. At least, the ones who cannot make folloe me mode work with s7, should give a try (and also be cautous when fast charge is on).
2016-11-24
Use props
Homerlovesbeer
lvl.2

Australia

DJI really need to test more Android phones. LOTS of newish phones missing from that list.

I can confirm the LG G3 works perfectly including follow me modes.
2016-11-24
Use props
motopa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88615 ft
Spain

Samsung S5 doesn´t work fine with Mavic. Follow me fails.
2017-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules