Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What should I do first on my new DJI Mavic
3315 15 2016-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9d21242f
lvl.1

Singapore

Hi all ,
         is anyone know what is the next step after unboxing the new DJI Mavic before the first flight ?
update firmware , IMU calibrate , Remote control calibrate or compass calibrate ? which should come first in a proper channel ?
2016-10-31
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105558 ft
United States

Post it to my house so i can bed it in for you ;)
2016-10-31
Use props
Sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Edited to reflect Ed's comment ( wrote it form a person familiar with DJI products point of view )

1: Read the manual ( more than once )
2: Unbox
3: Charge the Mavic battery and RC
4: Activate the Mavic
5: Firmware Update the Mavic
6: Power everything on at home with no props on the Mavic ( no need to arm the motors ) and go through the App. Set a reasonable RTH height for the location you will fly the most. Get used to the buttons on the RC and the camera settings in thr app. Customize the C1 and C2 as well as the 5D buttons to your preferences.
7: Charge the battery fully again
8: Take outside to a nice open area and calibrate the compass
9: Fly the mavic
10: Go home and be happy.
2016-10-31
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sploodge Posted at 2016-10-31 21:22
Read the manual
Unbox
Charge the Mavic battery and RC

I would add read the manual more than once.  Go through the App and understand what it does before you go out and fly.
2016-10-31
Use props
fans9d21242f
lvl.1

Singapore

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-31 21:28
I would add read the manual more than once.  Go through the App and understand what it does before ...

Thanks guys
2016-10-31
Use props
fans9d21242f
lvl.1

Singapore

fans9d21242f Posted at 2016-11-1 07:46
Thanks guys

Do i need to calibrate the IMU as well ? After the firmware update.
2016-10-31
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

fans9d21242f Posted at 2016-10-31 23:50

Yes, calibrate everything!
2016-10-31
Use props
tV1fr835Dcq3
lvl.2

United States

rick39 Posted at 2016-10-31 19:53

Actually, I believe the DJI team has advised against calibrating the imu unless prompted to do so. Unless that has changed without me noticing.. which is possible.
2016-10-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

rick39 Posted at 2016-10-31 23:53

Make sure you do it as per instructions IMU that is , enjoy you new Aircraft, let us know how you got on
2016-10-31
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

fans9d21242f Posted at 2016-10-31 23:50

Copied from a contributor at the PhantomPilots forum called Royva, Virginia USA.

"You asked about re-calibrating the IMU.
Recalibrate after any major software upgrade
Recalibrate if the bird has been shipped via commercial transportation
Recalibrate when you have continuous drifting or the craft won't stabilize after a couple of flights.
Recalibrate after any major hardware changes
Why is IMU important..

IMU( Inertial Measurement Unit = Accelerometer + gyroscope + compass)
Roll, Pitch and Yaw. Gives stabilization Without almost any drift.
The IMU is an electronic sensor device that measures the velocity, orentation and gravational forces of the Quadcopter.
These measurements allow controlling electronics to calculate the required changes in the motor speeds.
It's a combination of 3 axis accelerometer and a 3 axis gyroscope and a 3 axis magnetometer (compass) for better Yaw control.
The accelerometer measures acceleration and also force and measured the downward gravity force. As it has 3 axis it can work out the orentation of the quad.
The gyroscope measures angular velocity, in other words rotational speed around the 3 Axis.
A magnetometer (compass) measures the direction and strength of the earths magnetic field. The sensor can then determine which way is north and south. The pole locations are then used as a reference with the Yaw angular velocity around the gyroscope to calculate a stable Yaw angle.
With proper IMU calibration your copter know where it at, which way is north and can hover without a lot of drifting. It allows for the motors to adjust so she can pretty much sit still while hovering."

Also, watch this video from Tom's Tech Time, who is very knowledgeable beyond his years. This is for the Phantom 4 but the principles are the same and an explanation as to why and what is happening during calibration is described.

And finally, from DJI Mavic website on how to calibrate the Mavic (but without much of an explanation "why"

https://www.djivideos.com/video_ ... 9f50cb5b2.jpg@!1200
2016-10-31
Use props
fans75ec68d6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 523363 ft
Argentina

rick39 Posted at 2016-11-1 07:53

No, do NOT calibrate IMU unless the RC asks for it..
2016-10-31
Use props
AusAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425049 ft
Australia

1) Read the bad stuff in the forums
2) Get overly concerned about the potential of control loss
3) Rock back and forth in the corner in the fetal position lashing out at unsuspecting passers by until DJI release a firmware update.
4) Update firmware
5) Fly
6) Crash
7) Cry
2016-10-31
Use props
fans9d21242f
lvl.1

Singapore

Ok ok ....
2016-10-31
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2

imo this is a very good idea: Make a checklist of what you should do before flying.

@Sploodge: great list to start off with! Some things i'd add in to the "before first flight" checklist:

5: Firmware Update the Mavic
5b: Firmware Update the RC
5c: Make sure you have the latest version of the DJI Go App installed on your mobile/tablet
8b: make sure you have set up the antennas on the RC the right way (parallel, flat, 45°)

...thinking about it, i'll actually make three separate checklists:

1. things to do/check/learn before you actually get the drone (esp. for drone newbies like myself)

2. things to do/check after unboxing, before first flight (or after some days of not flying)

3. things to do and check before each and every flight

What makes this kind of hard: there are different opinions floating around here esp. about the calibrations (compass, RC sticks, gimbal, IMU)
- WHEN and HOW to do WHAT kind of calibration. And IF you do it, how to do it RIGHT? A wrong calibration is the "recipe for disaster" in
any system that relies on good sensor input (from my experience)... i wonder how many problems people are having here might be related tounprecise IMU calibration?

It would be great if we could put together such a checklist here, and please: in simple language (for the non-native English speakers).

2016-10-31
Use props
Pekkle
lvl.2

United States

When you are ready to fly, here is a quick video.

2016-10-31
Use props
fans9d21242f
lvl.1

Singapore

Frank I. Posted at 2016-11-1 11:17
imo this is a very good idea: Make a checklist of what you should do before flying.

@Sploodge: grea ...

Thanks noted
2016-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules