Camera issues - sharp center but blurry corners?
12Next >
11561 50 2016-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ultralinx
New

United Kingdom

Hey guys

I got my Mavic last Wednesday (26 Oct) and have been playing it with everyday since.

However from day one I noticed that the footage was blurry or out of focus in the corners, especially the bottom right.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been experiencing similar issues?

I have of course been tapping to focus on the screen. I have even tried tap-focusing on the bottom right of the screen but it still seems blurry.

I got in touch with DJI Support through their chat system and the person I spoke to mentioned that there is a upcoming firmware update that will apparently fix this issue - I'm not convinced. This seems more like a hardware issue than software.

Here are some sample videos

2016-10-31
Use props
JWC P4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Gimbal plastic guard taken off?  If so, I'd be concerned...
2016-10-31
Use props
ultralinx
New

United Kingdom

JWC P4 Posted at 2016-10-31 14:17
Gimbal plastic guard taken off?  If so, I'd be concerned...

Yes. The plastic cover from the gimbal has been removed.
2016-10-31
Use props
ms9901
lvl.1

United States

Could there be dust in your lens? See this post
http://forum.dji.com/thread-70045-1-1.html
2016-10-31
Use props
ultralinx
New

United Kingdom

ms9901 Posted at 2016-10-31 14:39
Could there be dust in your lens? See this post
http://forum.dji.com/thread-70045-1-1.html

Just checked. Definitely no dust in it or scratches on the lens.
2016-10-31
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

You are not the first... Another nice thing that starts popping up. My excitement to buy one , is dropping by the day. If I buy one, I'm going to check in the store...
2016-10-31
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Just to make sure, you were flying without the dome on it?
2016-10-31
Use props
ultralinx
New

United Kingdom

Nees Posted at 2016-10-31 14:53
Just to make sure, you were flying without the dome on it?

Yes of course. I confirmed it earlier in the thread.
2016-10-31
Use props
danieleforyou
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154820 ft
Iceland

Probably some lens is slightly off-centered.
2016-10-31
Use props
DarkEnergy
lvl.2

Mexico

Yes it looks a bit softer on the corners. In my experience with wide angle photography most if not all lenses, even Leica, Nikon and Canon professional lenses, corners are always softer than centers.
2016-10-31
Use props
justim
lvl.1

Canada

DarkEnergy Posted at 2016-10-31 13:53
Yes it looks a bit softer on the corners. In my experience with wide angle photography most if not a ...

The mavic isnt wide angle
2016-10-31
Use props
Mayoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

Contact Support again and search youtube for a reviewer who had this same issue. Its a hardware bug and DJI swpaed for him
2016-10-31
Use props
Mayoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

Here you go ..  issue spoken at 2:21

2016-10-31
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167057 ft
United States

I've got this issue as well...
2016-10-31
Use props
incogneito
lvl.2

United States

I just noticed the blurry left hand side on my mavic pro today. Here is the link to examples. It doesn't seem to be in videos, and I ust the the c1 button I set for center focus mainly, unless there is someone or something I want to focus on.

http://mavicpilots.com/threads/m ... lem.883/#post-12591
2016-11-1
Use props
Airwater
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1517057 ft
United Kingdom

Me too, I've got very soft results on the right 15%. I'm not happy about waiting for a replacement because faulty units have to be the top priority.
2016-11-1
Use props
boldblue737
lvl.2
Flight distance : 418337 ft
  • >>>

I have the soft right 15% also. It's not bad enough (the examples here are far worse) I am going to send it back but disappointing because I have seen some Mavic footage where its clearly focused across the full width of the image. It's most obvious in my movie at around 0:57

2016-11-4
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.2

I wonder how much people have this ISSUE who are just completely oblivious to it since the majority of you guys are experience, there seems to be a crapton of faulty Mavics.
2016-11-4
Use props
boldblue737
lvl.2
Flight distance : 418337 ft
  • >>>

Travelling Dron Posted at 2016-11-5 01:32
I wonder how much people have this ISSUE who are just completely oblivious to it since the majority  ...

If you are oblivious it must not be that bad... that said there is a wide variety in this obviously, i've seen a small minority of Mavic videos that demonstrate NO focus issue whatsoever and a lot that do have it in various mild ways. I would consider my copy a mild example of it and A) didn't notice it myself the first couple of days until someone on the forum pointed it out and B) if was as bad as the example at the top of this thread it is unnoticeable and it appears DJI is going to replace his drone.

I wish this tiny little camera was perfect, I really do but I remain convinced that all the little issues aside the form factor for me is absolutely unbeatable, if I had a Phantom 4 I simply wouldn't bring it on most trips and now I will have a drone with me on EVERY trip.

Like most brand new products I'm sure the ones made a few months from now will be in general more likely to not have flaws and I further believe and know that the Mavic Pro 2 that will inevitably launch in late 2017 will be even better. So it goes.
2016-11-4
Use props
BCForester
New

Canada

I have this issue too. Right lower quadrant. Have had the drone for about a month now.

2016-12-2
Use props
MavicNewbie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 668015 ft
United States

boldblue737 Posted at 2016-11-4 12:25
I have the soft right 15% also. It's not bad enough (the examples here are far worse) I am going to  ...

I honestly feel the vid quality is superb....
2016-12-2
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

I caught the same problem today....

2016-12-4
Use props
fans61b37ad7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

This looks like a chronic problem many are suffering. DJI must do something.
It could be a batch that were assembled wrongly, or cameras that are misaligned or something else.
But there are too many of you to have this swept under the rug.
It makes me want to cancel my order and wait until next May or so when all these initial problems are purged from the assembly line.
2016-12-4
Use props
ppy
lvl.1

Japan

I've been seeing this in some (but not all) of my videos. Seems to be a specific focal range where it happens more often. Also seems like it will reproduce on the left of right side depending on focal distance. It's subtle to the point i double-take whether it's occurring or if my eyes are tired...

I've attached a photo which has a very obvious occurrence of it (left side).

2016-12-5
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

May be it's not a hardware issue --- If you manually click to focus that right bottom area, it will become sharp.
2016-12-5
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

Well, I found people suggested here:
"This type of issue can occur if the camera module has been improperly assembled. Likely the sensor and lens focal plane are not coplanar."
2016-12-9
Use props
i4WcfURq9BkV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282014 ft
Switzerland

have the same problems too: right corner is blurry...
Right Corner blurry

if I focus on the right corner, the rest of the picture will be blurry:
Right Corner
2016-12-9
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

i4WcfURq9BkV Posted at 2016-12-9 13:57
have the same problems too: right corner is blurry...
Right Corner blurry

Thanks for picture.
I will add mine tomorrow. It makes sense if `sensor and lens focal plane are not parallel` -- only portion of the image in focus even all objects in same plane
2016-12-9
Use props
IflewbyU2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also have this problem, and I believe I have figured out what is causing it... vibration. The camera and gimbal are small, easy to get bouncing around, and the non-fixed props vibrate more than fixed ones. Also the hinged props can't be balanced like standard fixed props. Once DJI or somebody else makes some fixed props for the Mavic, I think this problem will be solved. So do I have any proof? Actually I do, a couple of tests you can do. For those of you who have this problem and think (as I did) that the sensor or a lens element are slightly out of alignment, try this. Turn everything on, start recording, but instead of taking off, pick up your Mavic (props-off might be good for safety) and walk it around or stand still with it, tap focus on some near things, and some far, then pan a little bit. Now check your footage on a high res monitor. I found that when I recorded as I hand-held the drone, the video focus is much better edge to edge, at any given distance. This test proved to me that my camera and sensor were OK, and that the blurred edges ( or often left or right side blurred) are a result of vibrations from the props. When the wind is higher, the blur at sides/edges is far worse. And in low light, when the shutter speeds are longer, the blurring effect is worse, which again says it is vibrations causing the blurring. Let me know if you get the same well focused results when recording but not flying. Please DJI, make us some fixed props for the Mavic Pro ASAP. The foldable props are cool and convenient, but those of us who do this as Pro Remote Pilots need the smoothest possible quality video more than we need the convenience of foldable props.
2016-12-9
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

IflewbyU2 Posted at 2016-12-9 15:11
I also have this problem, and I believe I have figured out what is causing it... vibration. The camera and gimbal are small, easy to get bouncing around, and the non-fixed props vibrate more than fixed ones. Also the hinged props can't be balanced like standard fixed props. Once DJI or somebody else makes some fixed props for the Mavic, I think this problem will be solved. So do I have any proof? Actually I do, a couple of tests you can do. For those of you who have this problem and think (as I did) that the sensor or a lens element are slightly out of alignment, try this. Turn everything on, start recording, but instead of taking off, pick up your Mavic (props-off might be good for safety) and walk it around or stand still with it, tap focus on some near things, and some far, then pan a little bit. Now check your footage on a high res monitor. I found that when I recorded as I hand-held the drone, the video focus is much better edge to edge, at any given distance. This test proved to me that my camera and sensor were OK, and that the blurred edges ( or often left or right side blurred) are a result of vibrations from the props. When the wind is higher, the blur at sides/edges is far worse. And in low light, when the shutter speeds are longer, the blurring effect is worse, which again says it is vibrations causing the blurring. Let me know if you get the same well focused results when recording but not flying. Please DJI, make us some fixed props for the Mavic Pro ASAP. The foldable props are cool and convenient, but those of us who do this as Pro Remote Pilots need the smoothest possible quality video more than we need the convenience of foldable props.

Cool man, I will try mine and report back tomorrow.
2016-12-9
Use props
IflewbyU2
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I have now found that I was able to check the balance on the props, and they are all really perfect, no problems there. And swapping them for different ones has no affect on the vibration at the camera. My blur problems are always present when flying, except in full sun when shutter speeds are very short duration. So it is a high frequency vibration for certain, because shorter shutter speeds remedy it. I now suspect that the 4 tiny rubber suspension mechanisms holding the gimbal are not all the same tension. I inspected them with a flashlight and found that one is looser than the other three. This is now the main suspect for the vibration causing one side or the other of my picture to be blurred. If the problem is such a simple physical problem, then DJI needs to offer an actual, physical solution to those of us who own these problematic air craft. This can't be fixed with firmware! I suspect there is a simple way to fix, adjust, or compensate this, but I don't know what it is.
2016-12-11
Use props
mrclfr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282014 ft
Switzerland

My problem with the blurry right corner is defently NOT from vibration, as I tested the Camera WTHOUT flying aroung (holding in my hands). IflewbyU2 I sugest to do the same, to be sure if the camera troubles come from flight vibrations....
2016-12-12
Use props
IflewbyU2
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

mrclfr Posted at 2016-12-12 05:08
My problem with the blurry right corner is defently NOT from vibration, as I tested the Camera WTHOUT flying aroung (holding in my hands). IflewbyU2 I sugest to do the same, to be sure if the camera troubles come from flight vibrations....

I did test while just holding the drone, camera was well focused then edge to edge, stated so above. Mine is a vibration of some kind. Lessons with shorter shutter speeds, gets worse with long exposures, this too points to vibration. Still, renders the air craft useless for pro use.
2016-12-13
Use props
fans7d35479a
Second Officer
Flight distance : 716572 ft
Germany

I got the same issue. It looks like the footage is blurry on the right side of the picture. Without flying the overall sharpness is way better.

2016-12-13
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 664521 ft
United States

I had blurry upper left quarter which would switch to the right side occasionally, the cause was a big greasy thumb print (mine) on the lense.
2016-12-13
Use props
gnom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 716572 ft
Germany

My lens is clean and i have done all calibrations. Hopefully i can swap the unit before xmas.
2016-12-13
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

I had this issue and DJI replaced my Mavic promptly. If you're experiencing this, I would start a repair ticket. The turn around is quick.
2016-12-13
Use props
Evan8tr
lvl.2
United States

canadianairborn Posted at 2016-12-13 12:12
I had this issue and DJI replaced my Mavic promptly. If you're experiencing this, I would start a repair ticket. The turn around is quick.

Just curious what the turn around time was and did they replace the whole drone or just the camera and gimbal? I was having shakiness problems and now i am having blurriness issues.
2016-12-13
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Evan8tr Posted at 2016-12-14 05:18
Just curious what the turn around time was and did they replace the whole drone or just the camera and gimbal? I was having shakiness problems and now i am having blurriness issues.

I emailed DJI on November 30th early morning and had them send me a UPS shipping label. I received it that day by 3pm and was able to send it off before 5pm the same day. It took 4 business day to arrive in California (tue 6th) and was shipped back the next day (wed 7th) and is scheduled to arrive Thursday the 14th.
A total of 14 days. Keep in mind, I'm in Canada and it had to go through customs which does take a bit longer. I read somewhere that one guy who lived close to the facility sent his in on Monday and had it back by Wednesday so it really depends where you live. I've only heard of people getting new drones, no repairs are being done yet as far as I can tell. Make sure you just send the drone and controller. Keep props, cables, batteries etc. Good luck.
2016-12-13
Use props
Evan8tr
lvl.2
United States

canadianairborn Posted at 2016-12-13 17:26
I emailed DJI on November 30th early morning and had them send me a UPS shipping label. I received it that day by 3pm and was able to send it off before 5pm the same day. It took 4 business day to arrive in California (tue 6th) and was shipped back the next day (wed 7th) and is scheduled to arrive Thursday the 14th.
A total of 14 days. Keep in mind, I'm in Canada and it had to go through customs which does take a bit longer. I read somewhere that one guy who lived close to the facility sent his in on Monday and had it back by Wednesday so it really depends where you live. I've only heard of people getting new drones, no repairs are being done yet as far as I can tell. Make sure you just send the drone and controller. Keep props, cables, batteries etc. Good luck.

Right on, thanks for the info. Sent it in today.
2016-12-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules