List of forum members with uncontrollable mavics. Needs addressing.
12Next >
4995 44 2016-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

I have gone through the last few pages on the forum and have collated issues from a variety of users with very similar problems that it cannot be coincedence.

Oleg_stakhanov - Veered to the right. Crashed. Indoors.

csbaker80 - Veered to the side. Crashed into tree. Not responding to contoller, Uncontrollable spinning on separate flight.

michaelfranklin  - Uncontrollable spinning and flew away. Not responding to controller,

Ngl1145 - Uncontrollable spinning. Not responding to controller. Crashed while unresponsive on RTH,

szuo - Uncontrollable spinning. Not responding to controller.

N3VO - Veered to the left. Crashed into bush. Not responding to controller.

Speaks for itself.

2016-10-31
Use props
hyderja
lvl.3
United States

So, currently the Mavic Pro is just like corporate DJI,  not responding to the controller, or in our case not responding to the buyers.
2016-10-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Although this looks bad to new drone flyers, and it's bound to make them nervous, I can tell you it wasn't as bad as first few weeks of P3's and P4.
It is probably likely that a firmwear may be issued to sort some of the problems,
2016-10-31
Use props
qMvQTfjUrm4z
lvl.4

United States

Thanks for putting this together.  Following.
2016-10-31
Use props
fans41c3856f
lvl.1

United States

It might be helpful for the affected to let us know the the mobile unit they were using, from what I have read on their threads, most, if not all were using iOS devices. I have been flying with my s7 edge 14 flights now, no issues, knock on wood.
2016-10-31
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
United Kingdom

That's a good point. Although most people seem to use iOS, especially in the US so it probably wouldn't tell us too much. Be interesting when European orders start arriving, presumably a second wave of units whether the same problems present themselves. Mine is meant to come Friday (UK) so we shall see.

If owners can let us know what DJI's response is and how they are being looked after, I think that would be helpful.
2016-10-31
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

You forgot Casey Neistat haha..
2016-10-31
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I thought about including Casey but I don't think that would have gone down well!
2016-10-31
Use props
bpurvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13750 ft
United Kingdom

Mobilcams Posted at 2016-10-31 19:21

Niestat, in his Mavic vlog was using IOS, Unsure what he was using when he lost it
2016-10-31
Use props
GeForceFX-be
lvl.2

Belgium

Has anyone who had the problem tried to switch off the remote to see if that would make the drone do an automatic RTH?  If the remote is sending a unwanted input (yaw right or roll left or ...) that could save it from crashing I think.
2016-10-31
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thats just the people who visit these forums, which is a very small percentage of total Mavic users. Who knows how many more are experiencing this problem.

However, I do believe DJI is currently investigating the issue based on what I've heard from these users. It would be nice it they promptly found a resolution and provided us with a fix. It's a very dangerous flaw that needs to be addressed ASAP.
If one of these out of control mavic hits property, or injures someone, I'm placing liability on DJI
2016-10-31
Use props
Repsolkid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7418 ft
United Kingdom

Mir Posted at 2016-10-31 21:06
Thats just the people who visit these forums, which is a very small percentage of total Mavic users. ...

Thanks for putting this together.

It would be great if those users mentioned here could update us on here if they get any progress from DJI.
Its all very well DJI issuing new firmware, but I really want the realtime feedback from the unlucky ones trying to deal with these issues, telling us their particular issue has been fixed.

I thank each and every one of them for sharing on here. It must be so frustrating.
2016-10-31
Use props
DrVee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 580007 ft
Australia

Following thread
2016-10-31
Use props
mikesher.live
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing.  Following thread.
2016-10-31
Use props
fans34c91fb6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

Mir Posted at 2016-10-31 16:06
Thats just the people who visit these forums, which is a very small percentage of total Mavic users. ...

It is unlikely DJI will admit to a problem.  They may quietly fix issues without acknowledging  that any issues exist.  History shows that they are not very transparent in keeping customer in the loop about what is going on.
2016-10-31
Use props
AusAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425049 ft
Australia

Flyaways and lack of response from controller input have been an issue for DJI since before they released the Phantom series. Back when they first started with flight controllers.

The Naza series had some really odd ball issues at times when flying using any of the GPS assisted flight modes.
1) Hit the boundary (max distance from takeoff) and stops responding to any commands except climb/descend until RTH is engaged. Resolution: Disengage RTH once you're away from the boundary and full control is back.
2) Circular flight and not responding correctly to inputs. Resolution: Switch to manual, land and re-calibrate IMU even after doing so successfully prior to takeoff
3) Flyaway - aircraft flys off in what ever direction it decides often at full throttle. Resolution: Switch to manual and power cycle.

These issues experienced with a Phantom or Mavic is one thing, but when it's with a high powered and heavy Hex/Oct it's another level of scary. Most of these were resolved quietly in the back ground through firmware updates without anyone really acknowledging there was in issue. Firmware updates back then were few and far between. At least now they're relatively quick to respond. I am surprised however that similar issues keep popping up with new gear even though they've seen them before.
2016-10-31
Use props
Fulcrum
lvl.1

United States

Mine crashed. Used RTH, accelerated upwards, drifted left into a building. Controls were unresponsive.

Pro-tip, everyone should call support and voice their opinions. They can ignore our emails, but calling helps!
2016-10-31
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

fans34c91fb6 Posted at 2016-11-1 07:31
It is unlikely DJI will admit to a problem.  They may quietly fix issues without acknowledging  th ...

As I posted in another spot, these are probably teething problems for a new transmission protocol that appears to be superior to the LB 1.5 model used in P3, P4 and I1.

Anyone who thinks that they can do better should try to write their own code for a complex app / test a new drug or something like that. These are highly complex tasks and even with hundreds of hours of testing, there are still bugs / problems that will go undetected because of untested / unanticipated permutations.

Microsoft / Adobe / Apple all have such issues. As a pioneer user, you WILL experience such issues. If you are unwilling or unable to deal with this, don't be an early adopter.

As for DJI remaining silent, I don't agree with that but remember too that most users could care less about the technical details of a fix. Important thing is that the bugs get fixed.
2016-10-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans34c91fb6 Posted at 2016-10-31 23:31
It is unlikely DJI will admit to a problem.  They may quietly fix issues without acknowledging  th ...

Very few companies will admit to these bugs, it's more important that they are fixed , we download bug fixes for apps by the thousand everyday without explanation, transparency is not the issue here.
However where people who have had problems, it' would be a good idea to upload logs where possible it helps to give some understanding what has occurred.
2016-10-31
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Need to include Fulcrum report on this list as it looks that hes got the same issue.
There is definitely something going on, there are couple more videos in youtube about unresponsive Mavic while RTH
2016-10-31
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-11-1 11:14
As I posted in another spot, these are probably teething problems for a new transmission protocol  ...

Sorry being an early adopter doesnt mean that you have to deal with issues that should have been properly tested prior release. It like my Tesla, I expect that they iron out and test the hell out of the car before even releasing it the public.
2016-10-31
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>

stratosHD Posted at 2016-11-1 09:10
Sorry being an early adopter doesnt mean that you have to deal with issues that should have been p ...

I have been an early adopter on all there drones from day 1 .Never had to many problems, a couple of fly aways more than likely my fault .The V2 did have some problems so I stopped flying and waited for a fix . I just opened my Mavic followed the instructions did the update .Took it outside and not a problem did tests of all sorts .Not one problem .I was using IOS .Great drone .
2016-10-31
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

stratosHD Posted at 2016-10-31 21:10
Sorry being an early adopter doesnt mean that you have to deal with issues that should have been p ...

Uhhh.....a car is subject to virtually thousands of government, industry and insurance company standards and tests.

Cars are different than complex aircraft hobby camera drones.

There has always been - and will always be - things that happen when thousands of customers start flying...which cannot be found in simulation and testing.

DJI wants the machines to work just as much as we do.

The best way to address any defects is for each individual to communicate with DJI. "Ganging up" and trying to put all the mishaps in one basket (when they are often different things) does absolutely nothing except maybe satisfy a few egos.

You can help DJI and fellow pilots by clearing communicating and reporting YOUR mishap. But trying to make lists of who experienced what....is sorta fruitless, IMHO.
2016-10-31
Use props
Mavic 395
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2128648 ft
  • >>>

You can add me to the list.
2016-10-31
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2016-10-31 14:21

So... When everyone here is crashing, it's DJI's fault. And when Casey crashed, with earlier firmware, he's to blame? You guys amaze me.
2016-10-31
Use props
wing
lvl.1

Canada

dana5 Posted at 2016-10-31 19:00
So... When everyone here is crashing, it's DJI's fault. And when Casey crashed, with earlier firmw ...

following thread
2016-10-31
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

So... When everyone here is crashing, it's DJI's fault. And when Casey crashed, with earlier firmw ...

No one was aware of any issues at that time. Had he crashed now, I'm sure many would have concluded it was the same issue reported as others.
2016-10-31
Use props
3hd9Aq2UtQlM
lvl.2

United States

I noted this in a separate thread, but dropping it in here as well for the record: http://forum.dji.com/thread-70342-1-1.html

On my very first flight indoors, the Mavic was in ATTI mode. Upon takeoff, it didn't even attempt to hover. When taking off I was pointed northeast in the room and it shot back southwest descending. I was first thinking that it was due to ATTI mode, but now believe it was because of a calibration issue with the controller. Left stick is stuck at 4% down, hence the loss of elevation. Right stick varies from being stuck at ~12-14% down causing it to take off in reverse. Lost my props and now controller is stuck in 'Mech Error' after trying to calibrate. Support's only advice? 'Use a different device. Reinstall the app. R&D is working on it' This is really disappointing.
2016-10-31
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167057 ft
United States

Happened to me earlier today, lost GPS and then had to fight the Mavic down to a safe landing
2016-10-31
Use props
baychilla
lvl.2

United States

If the town drunk gets in a crash the first thing people will think of was "his fault".  Ditto the guy that doesn't RTFM or follow any of the laws re: safe drone operation.  If anything the FAA should fine Neistat into the stone age and make him a poster child of what not to do.
2016-10-31
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

droneflyers.com Posted at 2016-11-1 09:31
Uhhh.....a car is subject to virtually thousands of government, industry and insurance company sta ...

Touche! Thank you for your post.
2016-10-31
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

3hd9Aq2UtQlM Posted at 2016-11-1 12:24
I noted this in a separate thread, but dropping it in here as well for the record: http://forum.dji. ...

Sorry to hear about your problem and it should get logged in for a fix.

2016-10-31
Use props
3hd9Aq2UtQlM
lvl.2

United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-11-1 01:00
Sorry to hear about your problem and it should get logged in for a fix.

Thanks, really hoping I don't have to send it in after having it for less than 24 hours...
2016-10-31
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

3hd9Aq2UtQlM Posted at 2016-11-1 15:24
I noted this in a separate thread, but dropping it in here as well for the record: http://forum.dji. ...

This MECH ERR is interesting.
Maybe the potentiometers in the control sticks are dodgy/defective or need calibrating after firmware updates. They all seem to have issues returning to zero.
BTW... is the -4 value = 4/1000 or 4/100. If the values are tiny then the movement should be very small.
2016-10-31
Use props
3hd9Aq2UtQlM
lvl.2

United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-11-1 02:01
This MECH ERR is interesting.
Maybe the potentiometers in the control sticks are dodgy/defective  ...

No idea, it just shows in percentages.
2016-10-31
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

baychilla Posted at 2016-10-31 23:49
If the town drunk gets in a crash the first thing people will think of was "his fault".  Ditto the  ...

Casey is not the only one flying drones in questionable ways. You see that in almost every drone video on youtube.
Also, to be clear... They are FAA rules, not laws.
2016-11-1
Use props
nu3vVF6J0ojO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 287749 ft
Canada

I've pre-ordered sept 28th, and am currently waiting shipping.  I did expect issues, it would be crazy to not expect some sorta bugs.  The only thing that has surprised me was finding out in October that there is no user
swichable atti mode. With my p3p there was quite a few scary moments, that only became resolved by switching into atti and flying home manually. I'm honestly a tad worried that if i run into a compass or well, any error in flight, that the "user friendly" bits of the new  quad will actually make it harder to make a safe recovery.  Am I the only one worried about that?  

my 2 cents on the Casey thing, since it seems to NEVER go away. Dude flew in an unsafe to fly area, not just for people or laws, but for the quad itself.  I would expect plenty of signal interference on a quad operating over/near a big city.  People who fly in areas like that, should realize that even if it was a flaw in the mavic, people will jump all over that flying location, since its unsafe.

2016-11-1
Use props
Airwater
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1517057 ft
Ireland

My Mavic crashed and scratched my new TV screen pretty bad. The TV is near to the balcony doors. When the Mavic started getting close I pushed the stick to give more clearance but it did not respond to input. Now I've got to get my new TV fixed. Not happy.
2016-11-2
Use props
3hd9Aq2UtQlM
lvl.2

United States

When is this going to be addressed? Been stuck on mech error since day 1. This is a terrible experience.
2016-11-2
Use props
BlaineCoury
lvl.1

United States

Just wanted to get in on this conversation.

I ordered my mavic on launch day and received it on the 26th. Had about 10-12 flawless test flights with it between then and yesterday, including some of the automated modes. Yesterday we were out in the desert in Phoenix and when I went to take off the drone lifted off using the slider on the phone but I quickly noticed the sticks were unresponsive and the drone kept twitching and spinning in one direction (I noticed the gimbal twitching a little before takeoff but thought maybe it would self correct). I was able to land again using the slider on the phone screen, power cycled the remote and drone and tried again, this time everything seemed to work. I manually flew that battery down to about 28% without incident, chasing some friends on their mountain bikes. 2nd battery minutes later I take off and have normal control. Put it in ActiveTrack mode and it tracks me well hiking and riding my bike for about 5-6 minutes until I notice it starts to climb unusually high for an activetrack shot (but it looked like it was still tracking). It finally lost sight of us behind a rock formation (expected) but then instead of hovering like normal, it proceeded to ascend straight up. By the time I made it back to the controller it was at max altitude and spinning left and right randomly (thought maybe it was still trying to find the tracking subject). I tried to put it back in manual mode and descend but it was only partially responding to my stick input. If I pressed down, it would SLOWLY descend a few feet but if I released the throttle it would climb back up again. Same thing with yaw. It would respond but if I released the control stick it would spin back the other way on it's own. I had to use RTH (used phone screen because I wasn't trusting the controller) to get it to descend. I finally got it to about 5 feet off the ground and in a hover, but it wouldn't land even after giving the swipe command. Again sticks were unresponsive so I carefully grabbed the mavic mid air and had to use my other hand to power down from the battery on the drone with props now spinning at full throttle (when I grabbed it from underneath, it tried to ascend I'm guessing because of the sensors).

I was running firmware version V01.02.0300. I downloaded my log files and am currently doing a firmware update.

Thankful I didn't have a flyaway or a crash but it very well could have. It was enough to make me not want to use the mavic on a paid job yet. Thankful others are sharing their experiences here. Hopefully we get some answers. I have re-calibrated everything and it seems to be working but haven't taken off yet since. Will try my next flight in a safe place on V01.02.0810
2016-11-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules