What's the point of owning a drone if you can't fly it?
12Next >
14648 46 2016-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alexeyga
New

Canada

Sorry for a somewhat controversial topic, but I just had to ask.
Here's the angle from which I'm coming:  got a Mavic pre-ordered, just wanted to try something new in terms of shooting sports action (kiteboarding, snowboarding etc).   We're talking about Canada, US and vocational trips wherever around the world.  Lots of photography and filming experience, but that would have been my first drone.

And while waiting for DJI to get their [edited for vulgar content] together, I had a bright idea of checking the drone flying rules for the spots where I'm eagerly awaiting to use it.   

As it turnes out, legally - I can't even test the stupid thing when (and if) I'll get it because I live too close to an airport.

In the advertisement for both Mavic and Karma - they are showing people doing epic hikes and taking great footages with their drones...   Well, in reality - drone flying is prohibited in national parks across US and Canada.  And some of our most-frequented kiteboarding spots in US and Canada are in National Parks as well.

We're preparing to go on a kiteboarding trip to Cuba - where (as it turns out) drones are considered to be a contraband and even if you'll be able to sneak one in (should be easy with the Mavic), you're literally flying a risk of finding out what Cuban jails are all about - if you were to fly one in public.

Sooo, at the end of the day - what's the point of owning all that goodness?

2016-10-31
Use props
justim
lvl.1

Canada

I can fly it where I am, thats why I'm buying it.
2016-10-31
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because there are still a lot of places you can fly legally and nothing compared to what you can capture for the cost. Unfortunately the more that people who don't know what they're doing and what is legal get their hands on drones, the more these restrictions will increase. Enjoy it while you can but plenty of reasons to still get one.
2016-10-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I suppose none, a good dslr.
2016-10-31
Use props
D&G
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Keep looking into the rules and asking questions.

In the U.S. people can call the air traffic tower (and if not a busy airport) most of the time they will give you permission. I think each time you fly, they just need to know location, height, how long you are flying and hobbyist/business maybe.
2016-10-31
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Are you sure you are in a no-fly zone, or are you in a wider 5 mile radius 'notification' zone?    The yellow zones require you to just notify the airport that you are going to fly (not ask permission, but notify).   The red zones are the hard coded no-fly where the drone won't even lift off in.
2016-10-31
Use props
alexeyga
New

Canada

Not being able to fly it near my house it really the least of my issues...   Basically - I can't legally use it for any of my original intended uses.     It would be a nice toy to have for sure, I could use a drone for the business (although I'd need a wider field of view than that offered by Mavic), but that's about it.

As it stands, I've canceled my pre-order (somebody will get lucky).    Will probably pick one up later when they will become more available and DJI will work out all initial QC issues.  Or even wait till Mavic II releases.
2016-10-31
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

D&G Posted at 2016-10-31 13:11
Keep looking into the rules and asking questions.

In the U.S. people can call the air traffic tower ...

You don't even need permission.   It's a required notification.   You call and let them know you will be operating at xxx altitude and where you are located.
2016-10-31
Use props
fansc23f261e
lvl.2

United States

alexeyga Posted at 2016-10-31 12:49
Not being able to fly it near my house it really the least of my issues...   Basically - I can't leg ...

I would call the air traffic controller at the airport and tell them your location and ask if you are ok to fly it if you keep it under 200 feet.  I bet they will say sure thanks for letting us know.  If the cops show up tell them you got approval from the air traffic controller.
2016-10-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

alexeyga Posted at 2016-11-1 02:49
Not being able to fly it near my house it really the least of my issues...   Basically - I can't leg ...

Sorry to hear that, if you live in an a yellow authorized zone you are free to fly by accepting responsibility.
For red NFZ's, you can still get permission but it's more of a process and you can email FlySafe@dji.com.
Here's info for you to check DJI flight restrictions where you live.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

And a far as going to Cuba, I'd definitely not take a drone there.
2016-10-31
Use props
Eazy123
lvl.2
  • >>>

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-11-1 03:10
You don't even need permission.   It's a required notification.   You call and let them know you w ...

You do by me.  I live about a mile away from an airport, right under the approach path.  I emailed the drone coordinator or whatever the airport has (someone who specializes in drone issues) and he said they wouldn't even let me fly where I live.

I live about 7-8 miles from a flying field and I drive out there once or twice a week to fly.  I DO fly in not-so-legal areas but when I do, I don't fly higher than maybe 30 feet.  If a plane is gonna hit my drone flying at 30 feet, then the drone is the least of my worries.
2016-10-31
Use props
Peel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10876 ft
United States

What map are you using to determine that you can't fly? The DJI Geo Map is the only one that I can find that distinguishes the different parts of each zone (Red - Restricted Zones, Yellow = Authorization Zones, and Green = Warning Zones) of that only the Red restricted zone is truly no-fly. The FAA's B4UFLY app shows the circles but offers no distinction based on distance.
Also, remember that in the US, National Parks (off limits) are different from National Forests even though they are both open public lands and appear to be similar. In the Pacific Northwest where I live, Mt Rainier, Mt Olympus (Olympic National Park) and an area to the east of Mt Baker (North Cascades National Park) are the only National Parks. The other Cascade volcanoes (Mt Baker, Mt St Helens, Mt Hood, etc.) are in national forests, and it's permitted to fly there. This includes the windsurfing/kiteboarding mecca of the Columbia Gorge. There are a few local airports that you may need to notify depending on your proximity to them, and a couple of dams in the Columbia River are off limits (though those are very small areas of just the physical dam itself), but otherwise most of the area is flyable.
2016-10-31
Use props
agzela
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-31
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

I'm getting it because im not a Kite-boarder.
2016-10-31
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Flying in national parks (USA) is off limits but here in Colorado we have huge areas of national forest and BLM lands with amazing areas to film and fly with no restrictions. (I just spent yesterday climbing a peak and there wasn't another human or building visible for miles all day long.  From what I understand from my Canadian friends, is that you have huge areas of beautiful wilderness as well that are not national parks.
2016-10-31
Use props
ditdot
lvl.1

United States

Try dealing with all of the no fly zones around Washington, DC. Then complain to me...but I still bought a Mavic.
2016-10-31
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

If you fly near in an aerodrome the mavic may not start.  If you fly too close it will automatically reduce its altitude.
2016-10-31
Use props
Alans7499
lvl.1

Canada

agzela Posted at 2016-10-31 15:52
Real question is...why go to Cuba? seriously those people there do not have any freedom.....

You obviously never been ,,Canadians have been going there for 50 years and love it ,,its the number one choice for canadians year after year !!!
2016-10-31
Use props
Alans7499
lvl.1

Canada

agzela Posted at 2016-10-31 15:52
Real question is...why go to Cuba? seriously those people there do not have any freedom.....

And yet your ordering a drone from communist China ,,lmao ,,
2016-10-31
Use props
Mpampis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276476 ft
Germany

I think the most of the people that buying a drone are able to fly it. If can't fly a drone then just don't buy it....
2016-10-31
Use props
agzela
Ban Posts

United States

2016-10-31
Use props
agzela
Ban Posts

United States

2016-10-31
Use props
hepnotic
lvl.1

United States

Drone not being allowed only means a better chance you'll be able to upload unique footage to Youtube.
2016-10-31
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

I was in the same boat, I couldn't fly on my own property. I said screw it and returned the P3 to BB.
Then the Mavic was introduced soooo, I was able to find some clear places to fly (asked the land owners) not near a restriction.
Ordered the Mavic (again BB) and bought another drone (not DJI) until I receive my order.
I'll keep both because I really like the one I have now and will most likely like the Mavic.
2016-10-31
Use props
Derodeo
lvl.2

Canada

agzela Posted at 2016-11-1 03:52

Well it used to be because there were very few Americans there...
2016-10-31
Use props
fans78e714b4
New

United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2016-10-31 13:51
Flying in national parks (USA) is off limits but here in Colorado we have huge areas of national forest and BLM lands with amazing areas to film and fly with no restrictions. (I just spent yesterday climbing a peak and there wasn't another human or building visible for miles all day long.  From what I understand from my Canadian friends, is that you have huge areas of beautiful wilderness as well that are not national parks.

Where did you fly your drone in Colorado. Specific place? Thanks
2017-7-19
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

I fly all over town. Pulpit Rock open space and in the foothills just to the west of town.  The best places are on the 13ers and 14ers all over the state.  I get my best video there.
2017-7-19
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

We all have to make a choice on how to spend our money . There are a ton of things I would like to have that I could not enjoy where I currently live . I pick the ones that I can enjoy .
2017-7-19
Use props
WICKET
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-7-19 12:44
I fly all over town. Pulpit Rock open space and in the foothills just to the west of town.  The best places are on the 13ers and 14ers all over the state.  I get my best video there.

So you can fly in Open Space?  Its so hard to find all the rules and regulations of this state.  Sure would be nice to have a clickable map or something that shows the available areas.
2017-7-19
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

WICKET Posted at 2017-7-19 14:56
So you can fly in Open Space?  Its so hard to find all the rules and regulations of this state.  Sure would be nice to have a clickable map or something that shows the available areas.

It's tricky. The city and county aren't clear on this except in a couple of places. You are NOT allowed to fly in Red Rocks open space.  Technically, you probably can fly anywhere if you don't take off or land from that place I would not fly at GOG or Red Rocks, or anywhere where it will annoy people. I think we all have to work to keep a positive impression of drones.
2017-7-20
Use props
FlyingFish82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

indeed i brought the same question you had, you cant let DJI's marketing hype obscure the reality, which is you CAN just fly anywhere just like that. there are however places where one CAN travel with the drone and fly. Its a new thing to have flying quads now, and they ARE NOT for everyone. that is where you really need to sit and think. em i gonna have the patience to research where i can fly without getting in trouble or getting my drone confiscated ? em i willing to pay for something that i will have limited use? if YES,  then you commit to buying one and try to fly as safe as possible to keep us all Drone Pilots in Good Standings with the general public. It only takes one random accident to condemn all of us and the Hobby/bussines. Glad you are on the end of the spectrum which does the research first.  Fly Safe wherever it is you end up flying! Cheers!
2017-7-20
Use props
fans33396f93
New
Flight distance : 1166493 ft

I have the same problem. I live on the very edge of an airport traffic area. When I purchased it. I could fly here, but DJI expanded the area. Also if your flying along some where and the camera will just shot down for no reason, it because DJI just blocked that area. I wish I had never bought mine.
2018-9-2
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

I am allowed to fly all around my residence, that becomes boring so I usually venture out to different areas,, I can count on one hand the times where a NFZ warning came on and that was hundreds of miles away from home.
2018-9-3
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was told not to fly in state parks in the USA.  I was told model flying aircraft club in my neighborhood that they don't want drones.  It sucks.  
2018-9-3
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone live in CT and want to start a drone club?
2018-9-3
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

keeping it as a souvenir
2019-1-2
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

They definitely are not for everyone, or every ideal situation . Maybe stick with a ossamo for your insane kite board world wide trips
2019-1-2
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

I live one mile from an airport with control tower, I have been to the restaurant there many times, so I went there for lunch, then went through security and talked with one of the controllers.  I also had registered the drone, so I showed him the registration I had printed up , he was very up about the whole thing, asked me if I was aware of the height limit, and I told him that I had read that it was 400 feet, but that I would be under 100, and usually no higher than 30 to 40 feet to check my amateur radio antennas.  He said fine, just to keep my eyes open, and away from aircraft, he even said if anyone were to ask me if it was okay for me to fly the drone, to have them call the tower and they would tell them.  Nothing but positive all the way, and I had visions of being arrested for flying in my back yard hahaha  IF you really study the rules, you'll find that there are plenty of good places to fly,
2019-1-2
Use props
Thomas Hendrick
New

United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2016-10-31 13:51

Could you name a few places?
2019-8-25
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

Thomas Hendrick Posted at 8-25 09:12
Could you name a few places?

Thomas,

My favorite places to fly are around the high elevation lakes (e.g. Colony Lakes, and Kite Lake near Breckenridge), and all the 14ers and 13ers (over 600!) in the state. I get great video from the mountains.

2019-8-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules