Should I upgrade Range Extender?
8799 17 2015-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyingDog
lvl.2

Taiwan

By applying the latest Vision App, there is one option of 'Upgrade Range Extender'.  I am not sure of what need to be considered (pros and cons) to make the choice.  Can anyone sheds some light on this?
2015-2-6
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

Facts are there is no new release.  Baseline was and is still 3.6 asst, 3.08 Naza etc. which did not support this feature.  

Maybe one day a new release will be deployed, works, upgrades with new features.  Until then what ever you can bootstrap to keep it flying...
To your question - do you feel lucky?   After 1 week in DJI I feel like Ive been violated re these upgrades

2015-2-6
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

As MAD in NC posted. It really does not provide any value at this time until DJI update to a stable 3.10 or above release.

I would recommend you hold off until that happens. I upgraded mine and now wish I hadn't.

Cheers
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

The upgrade of the range extender is not related to the Naza-M firmware.  It adds the function of having a connection to a wireless network with internet while being connected to the Phantom.
2015-2-6
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

MAD In NC Posted at 2015-2-6 20:20
Facts are there is no new release.  Baseline was and is still 3.6 asst, 3.08 Naza etc. which did not ...

Mad in NC,

I see another link reports an iOS Vision App update to 1.0.48....

I'm wondering if these DJI guys are ever going to get a stable platform with the firmware set.

Please pass the Green Tea and fortune cookies, please  
2015-2-6
Use props
FlyingDog
lvl.2

Taiwan

Thanks for all the replies.  I thought the range extender upgrade was between the Vision app and the W-Fi range extender, does it really matter with the Phantom firmware?  For that I am currently on 3.08 and fine.

If the range extender upgrade is to make both Internet and Phantom connections available at the same time, what are the pros and cons I should consider before making the change, or can I experiment with it and revert back to original when necessary?  Hope it is not a one-way change that I would regret.  
2015-2-6
Use props
gsp171.email
lvl.3

United States

"range extender upgrade is to make both Internet and Phantom connections available at the same time"

Hey DJI, this makes no sense
2015-2-6
Use props
perdidoflyer
lvl.2

United States

FlyingDog Posted at 2015-2-6 23:46
Thanks for all the replies.  I thought the range extender upgrade was between the Vision app and the ...

I mistakenly (in the interest of exploring the Vision app) tapped on "upgrade range extender". The range extender was "reset", and initially I had a problem with video from the camera to iPhone, but after power-cycling everything, it appears that things are back to normal. Bottom line...I would not "upgrade range extender" until we better understand what it is/does, and I find no information as to how to "undo" the upgrade.
2015-2-6
Use props
FlyingDog
lvl.2

Taiwan

Thanks, that's what I was asking for.  Guess it would be useful in setting up a waypoint flight, but I can still make it under current settings.

I will take your advice and leave the feature un-touched for now.  Really appreciate your story.
2015-2-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gsp171.email Posted at 2015-2-6 23:56
"range extender upgrade is to make both Internet and Phantom connections available at the same time" ...

The only sense it does make is if you do not have any maps saved on the dji app, you can connect to google maps while you are flying waypoints.
2015-2-6
Use props
gsp171.email
lvl.3

United States

That's is connecting to two wifi sources at once, don't think it is possible with current hardware.
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

gsp171.email Posted at 2015-2-7 01:08
That's is connecting to two wifi sources at once, don't think it is possible with current hardware.

The repeater/extender supports multiple connections but don't know how they implemented it since the upgrade is only available to the iOS app at this time and I have Android.
2015-2-6
Use props
FlyingDog
lvl.2

Taiwan

Thought that the waypoint map is needed by the Vision app and not the range extender nor the Phantom, it would make more sense to have the Vision app, therefore the iOS device itself, to be able to connect to 2 networks simultaneously, rather than making the range extender to make the dual connections.  Unless while you are flying the Phantom, it wants to make something extra by looking at the Internet.  Still mysterious to me.
2015-2-6
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Extender Upgrade may or may not have additional value over than just being able to cache maps.

It does not have 2 WiFi connections active simultaneously. It has a 3/4G Cell network and WiFi operating simultaneously.

This is all about IP V4 default Routing.

When you normally connect to a WiFi access point it provides an IP address , Subnet Mask and a default route that is normally the address of the Access Point. Any connections being set up by the device (Phone etc) are routed to the Default Route to then get routed to the internet. As the Wifi Extender has no connection to the internet these request from other Apps. (Like Mail Sync) go to the extender and then fail.

The range extender mode keeps the default route of your cell connection, so connections not destined to the Phantom are routed directly to your cell network.

This would keep unwanted traffic away from you Phantom WiFi network. So may be another small benefit.

This is technically called "Dual Homing"

Cheers

2015-2-7
Use props
israel
New

Brazil

I have a phantom vision 2 here and the app was clicked upgrade Range Extender.
now he does not spend more image for smatphone ..
already I hung up and called, already rebooked bind .. but will not.
then it does not bind the smartphone finds it the phantom

Because that after I Bind on phantom vision 2 he no longer appears in wifi ..
I have to reset back to appear ..
however if not bindar does not transmit image ...
2015-5-4
Use props
reelmccoyproduc
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

FlyingDog Posted at 2015-2-7 00:38
Thanks, that's what I was asking for.  Guess it would be useful in setting up a waypoint flight, but ...

Can anyone tell me why I get the controls of the camera on a Ipad mini with my Dji phantom vision 2+ and control the camera but now video on the Ipad to view camera? I called B&H and they said to update firmware on everything I have same stuff
2015-8-27
Use props
reelmccoyproduc
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

FlyingDog Posted at 2015-2-7 09:54
Thought that the waypoint map is needed by the Vision app and not the range extender nor the Phantom ...

If they would have rapped the whole system in one nut shell with different size monitors for instance there wouldn't be all this what the heck.???? Thanks I was exploring update to my range extender. I am not fooling with it at the time till you pro's figure it out I haven't taken a flight yet still studying and the more I study the more confusion it seems to cause. I think there should be about 1000 different models put out next year with 3,000,000 options.
2015-8-27
Use props
gadgetude
New

United States

Seriously, unless there is something specific you need out of the firmware upgrade just don't do it.  DJI has proven repeatedly they're not up to the challenge of firmware updates.

In my case, upgrading the range extender firmware has resulted in me losing all ability to see or control the camera.  DJI support is telling me I need to send my Phantom 2 in and pay for them to fix it.  It's clear by this thread that I'm not the only one this happened to.

If you haven't upgraded yet, DON'T.

2016-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules