United States

After reading everyone's post I have decided not to buy right now, seem's like
they are experimenting with it still.
2015-2-6
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.2

United States

Meh, I have not had a single problem with mine.  It's been an absolute joy.  When on the internet most of what you get will be the complaints, as the vast majority of people won't post unless they HAVE a problem.   
2015-2-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is true of every quadcopter made and will be true for a decade or more into the future.

It's a good decision if this hobby is not for you. It's a hobby, not a piece of consumer goods. Aircraft will never be as reliable as your iphone.
2015-2-6
Use props
perdidoflyer
lvl.2

United States

I bought my P2V+ V2 in October, and love it - no issues at all, and it has forgiven me for a couple of hard landing and tip-overs. If you can find a legitimate P2V+ V2, new in the box, I would recommend it. It seems that the V3 has some issues associated with it, primarily as to the new motors, and compatibility with the ESC's (there are three versions of ESC's, some labeled, some not) that has created the troubles as to the V3.
2015-2-6
Use props
bthor49@msn.com This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-2-6
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

While I do like my P2V+ ver3. I have had a couple of tip overs and 2 mishaps before I took the prop guards off.  Other than that it has been good mostly OK.

What I am not impressed with is DJI's customer service and their lack of ability to properly test software and updates.
Normally I am a person who does a lot of research before I buy something at the price of P2V+ and to be honest I wasn't looking for a drone but my wife bought it for me for Christmas.

While I understand things happen I would not have purchased a DJI product had I done the research and found how poor DJI is at their CS and rolling out updates. There is no excuse for that.

Even some of the mis-info on this forum could be prevented if DJI played a more active part in this forum. I could see if this forum was somebody's personal forum that they hosted because they were a DJI owner but this is DJI's official forum. When you come here you should get the best and correct information.

There are some people here that provide a lot of info to users on this site and their dedication to helping others is commendable and appreciated. But that doesn't mean they are knowledge about all things DJI and they not might get something wrong. That doesn't mean they are bad or evil they are trying to genuinely help others and fill a gap, but they don't know everything about these drones as they are not DJI techs.

A perfect example of DJI dropping the ball here is the long thread about IMU cals. There is no reason DJI should not have weighed in on the correct way to calibrate the IMU. Instead they let people try all kinds of things to try and get a good calibration. Again unacceptable.

I have been approached a few times about my drone. When people ask me about buying one I tell them I would not recommend it and the reason is absolutely one of the poorest customer service companies I have ever seen.

When my the wheel on my flight controller would not calibrate in the Phantom Assistant I figured there something was wrong with it. The gimbal would jump around when I used the wheel but it worked fine with the sliders and by tilting the phone. I emailed DJI and explained the issue and they said the only way to fix it was to send the controller back for repair!

Fortunately I found out if I calibrated it in the RC application the wheel issue was fixed before I sent it back to DJI, and I am not the only one who has had this issue. (It should be noted that some people can  use the controller only to do the calibration but that procedure does not run properly on mine).
So why would DJI not tell me about other ways to calibrate my controller's wheel instead of saying the only way to fix it was to send it back! That is not the action of a company I would recommend others buy a product from.

2015-2-6
Use props
grangerfx.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

The most negative thing I could say about my P2V+ I could say about the entire drone industry: It lacks maturity.

For the P2V+ it feels like it has been cobbled together with whatever parts DJI could buy cheaply at the time. However the software is pretty reliable (despite the issues you see reported on this forum) compared to other drones on the market. Considering how many Phantom 2s there are out there, they don't fall out of the sky or fly away very often. I opted to buy mine after my experience with a Parrot Bebop. It is night and day when it comes to reliability.

Whatever drone you end up buying will have issues due to the state of the drone industry more than anything else. Drone sales are exploding but the design and engineering are having a hard time keeping up with the massive demand. At first it was a few experimenters or home brew drone pilots taking to the air who expected the worst. Now it is dads buying a toy from an electronics store and getting into all kinds of trouble while expecting everything to "just work". There is a huge disconnect between customer expectations and what drones can currently do.

I am happy to recommend the P2V+ with several cautions. I hope mine will last about a year before getting lost or destroyed. In a year I hope to buy a much better drone that does not even exist today. The Inspire 1 looks amazing but perhaps DJI can design a smaller lighter less expensive drone with a solid state camera like the Bebop. That would be worth the investment.
2015-2-6
Use props
Bobby11
lvl.2

United States

Thanks, I still thinking on buying one but might wait for a while, does anyone recommend a cheaper one to practice with?
2015-2-9
Use props
manny
lvl.1

Norway

Just got my first drone ever after drooling for years, a P2V+ V2. I was I impressed over how easy it was to fly, but I would almost lose control of it some times. After getting to know the drone after a couple of more flights, I unferstood that it loses gps signal when filming, which is ok incredibly annoying and can be quite overwhelming to a new user like me. The reason I bought it is to be able to take video and stills from the air, and I was very eager to try out the camera after getting it. I remember having a hard time controlling the drone at some points, which in retrospective makes sense because the drone flipped over to atti mode when it lost gps signal after I started recording.

This could easily create something a new and inexperienced flyer would call a flyaway, as the app by default is set to "contiune recording if signal is lost". In other words, if the controller should fail/run out of battery while I am filming, the drone would continue filming and never regain gps signal, and then never find its way back home either. This scares me a lot, and I'm really glad I discovered this before  it happened. Now I've set the drone to stop filming if signal is lost, it would then be able to regain gps and should theoretically return back home.

All in all, I will probably be returning the drone to have this fixed. For my use, video and stills, having course lock while filming is incredibly useful, and something the drone is not able to do without the gps signal. If I'm not able to get a working model, I'll probably jump back up in the fence again and wait for this problem to be resolved. Without this problem, it would be everything I could ever need, except for better image quality though.
2015-2-9
Use props
Bobby11
lvl.2

United States

I have decided to go ahead and get the Phantom 2 vision plus v.03
2015-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules